1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

What is chia seed, sabja seed and kalonji(black seed)?...are they same?

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by baby1, May 23, 2010.

1. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear ladies,
    pls tell me what is chia seed, subja seed and kalonji? and why are they used? pls tell me their uses separately.
    they look similar in pictures.
    i read that all of these seeds are having high health benefits so would like to know more about these and want to use it in regular diet.
    i have been eating raw kalonji (1tsp) with water daily from last one week. is it okay to eat raw kalonji (black seed) daily?

2. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi baby,
    If you search on google you will get full details about chia seeds. Sabja seed is what we put in falooda, they are black seeds also known as tukhmuria and they swell if soaked in water.
    Hope this helps.

3. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

Dear libra4164, when i saw photos of sabja seeds on google, they looked same as kalonji which I am having at home now. kalonji is widely called nigella seed or black seed and they do not swell when put in water. So was confused at these two seeds; sabja and kalonji.
    I have a heat body, so has been told to use sabja seed.
    I have a grey hair so has been told to use kalonji. Now I wanted to know, if both are same I can use it for multipurpose, so I put this thread. Hope, somebody helps me here.
    But now I understand that these two seeds are different and now I would like to know the usages of kalonji only as I am having it in my kitchen. Can any one tell me how I can finish my kalonji stock...Looking for some easy way to use kalonji seed.

4. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi baby,

I'm not aware of the chia seeds.

But use Kalonji(black seeds, black onion seeds) and sabja(basil) seeds. We sprinkle kalonji on naan or rotis while rolling them out. The breads turn out very yummy and the seeds themselves are edible that way (very bitter otherwise). It is believed they boost immunity and its oil is taken orally if you have any infections. Another way is ,if you are a non-vegetarian, to use them while seasoning, chicken kadai or mutton kadai or other dry gravies. I too used to eat raw kalonji the way you described, and have not had any obvious side effects so far.

For the sabja, we soak them for a couple for hours and mix them with the falooda or any kinds of juices (mango, apricot, milk shakes etc). I grew up hearing they have a cooling effect on the body. Don't know if its true but I like the taste of it.

Hope that helps!

5. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

hi ilite, thanks a lot for the info dear. i was actually thinking how to use my kalonji stock in the kitchen...also had heard that they are good for health. so wanted to know if any body has benefited from this seed.
    by the way, i am also from karnataka...so know kannada very well. do u speak kannada at home or other language? nice to talk to somebody from my place. keep in touch.

6. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi again, let us know if the use of kalonji helps you in any way.
    I'm not native to Karnataka nor do I stay there. But got married into a family staying there.

Nice talking to you as well.

Regards

7. Radhica

Radhica Silver IL'ite

Hi Baby1

I can tell of something about kalonji and subja seeds. I have no idea about chia seeds.

Kalonji seeds are also known as black seeds or black jeera. It is also called nigella seeds. It has a bitter taste and a bit pungent smell. It is used for baghar in Oriya and bengali cuisine ( a part of phtootono or panch phoron). In Muglai cuisine it is used as flavering and used as sprinkling on various types of naan. I use it for bbaghar in veg and dal and also in mango and lime pickle. it is very healthy and said to cure all type of diseases. These are also good for pancratic cancer.

Subja seeds are seed of a kind of basil. When soaked in water, they become swollen. These are generally used in falooda ans sherbats.

8. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear radhica,
    thank you so much for the reply to my thread. pls share your healthy tips here (if u have). thanks again.

9. ziya00786

ziya00786 New IL'ite

Hi everyone.
    ------ chia seeds ,sabja seeds ,kalonjee and black jeera are all diffenrt things.
    so plzzzzzzzzzzz do not send any wrong info.as they are very diff. in nature.
    ----- chia seeds is similar to falooda also known as sabja seeds. but also has omega 3 and protien.
    -----Black jeera is very strong and if taken more,can create hair loss.
    ------ kalonjee seeds are medium in nature.

10. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Sabja and Kalonji are different in shapes. Kalonji is bigger than Sabja. Sabja seeds are also known as Falooda seeds as they are soaked and used in faloodas. Heard that it is a body cooler.

Kalonji is also known as black caraway seeds or onion seeds. It is not a cumin seed as mentioned by someone. Kalonji is used for tempering in certain northindian dishes.

chia seeds, i have heard but never went in detail into it. You may google for more details on chia seeds.