1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

nature cure for PCOS

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by rashmip, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Dhayashankari, PCOS does hinder the process of getting pregnant. But my gyn says that many of her patients with PCOD did conceive without any medical intervention in the first 3 months itself . The important thing is to have a relaxed mind set , a well balanced diet & regular exercise . Do not worry , just take care of these and try naturally for atleast 6 months. Normally doctors will insist tht you try naturally for atleast 1 yr after marriage to start any treatment. All the best:thumbsup

2. DhayaShankari

DhayaShankari Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks a Lot for ur supportive words. Definitely I will follow what u said....

Thank You,
    Dhayashankari

3. priyasuresh11

priyasuresh11 Senior IL'ite

Androgen-Excess with PCOS

Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) often manifests itself as an androgen-excess disorder. Ordinarily, the dominant follicle developing during ovulation utilizes androgens secreted from the surrounding ovarian cells to produce estrogen. But in PCOS, since ovulation is impaired, ovarian androgens are not utilized in the ovulation process resulting in elevated levels in the blood stream. These elevated levels further suppress ovulation, thus aggravating the problem.

Excess androgens implies excess testosterone. Not all the testosterone in the blood stream is active. SHBG (Sex-Hormone-Binding-Globulin) is a protein generated by the liver; it binds some of the testosterone and decreases the circulating levels of "free" testosterone. PCOS patients usually have decreased SHBG and elevated free-testosterone. And this often manifests itself as increased male-pattern hair-growth (hirsutism) , acne, male-pattern hair-loss (alopecia), etc.

It is very important to address the issue of increased testosterone and decreased SHBG in treating PCOS. Let us look at some of herbs that have been very effective at this. In this blog, let us focus on Tulsi.

Remedy: Tulsi
    Tulsi (Tulasi, Holy Basil, Ocimum sanctum, Vishnupriya) is a very widely grown plant in India. It is said to have divine healing qualities and is therefore grown in households with deep reverence. It is known to have good anti-androgenic effects in androgen-sensitive tissues. It can moderate insulin levels and help with reversing obesity. It has powerful anti-oxidants and has a rejuvenating effect on tissues. It is an adaptogen and decreases provides stress relief.

Treatment Methodology
    For PCOS, it is recommended that the patient consume 10-12 leaves a day (either raw or boiled in water) early in the morning prior to breakfast. As with most natural remedies, any noticeable improvements from this treatment are likely to occur after about 8-10 weeks of use. Furthermore, the treatment must be accompanied by an appropriate life-style and dietary intake. Though slow, it will restore the delicate natural balance of the hormones and improve health and longevity.

Often patients respond better with fresh leaves or fresh leaf-tea than with the Tulsi-tea that sells in stores. Tulsi supplement as tablet/pill is another option but is secondary to using fresh leaves.

Grow your own Herb
    It is very easy to raise Tulsi plants at home. Seeds/saplings are easily procured in India and in the USA; they are usually available in Indian temples/Indian stores. Simply sprinkle the seeds or plant the saplings in a pot. Ensure they get ample sunlight and sufficient water everyday. They cannot withstand severe cold/snow; in the winter they may be placed inside the house by the window to get sunlight. It takes 2-3 months for them to start producing seeds. You can replant them and ensure a steady supply of your medicinal leaves!

4. premlatha

premlatha New IL'ite

hi,

am also in chennai....and under ayurvedhic treatment....can u plz let me know what medicines u take andwhich doctor u r consulting?

5. lex123

lex123 New IL'ite

Regular practice of yoga is a great therapy for most of the gynaecological problems.

Lex123

6. priyasuresh11

Hi Friends,

I found this info in internet.PCO patients have high insulin resistance.
    So read the below article.

Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes
    Diabetes is a serious illness where there is a persistently high glucose level in the bloodstream. Glucose (blood sugar) is the primary source of energy for the cells in our body, and diabetes occurs when the glucose level is not regulated properly by the hormone known as insulin.

Common symptoms of diabetes include:
    frequent trips to the bathroom
    unquenchable thirst
    weight loss
    fatigue and weakness
    numbness or tingling sensation in the hands, feet or legs
    blurred vision
    dry or itchy skin
    frequent infections or cuts and bruises that take a long time to heal
    When these signs are associated with diabetes, they are the result of high glucose levels in the body. If you notice any of the above signs, schedule an appointment with your family doctor. Blood tests will be able to tell you if you have reason to be concerned about a diagnosis of diabetes.
    Causes of Diabetes
    There are two common types of diabetes:
    Type 1 diabetes occurs when the body does not produce any insulin on its own. Type 1 diabetes has often been considered a childhood problem, but it can also develop in adults. This form of diabetes requires regular insulin injections for survival, and there is currently no known cure.
    Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body becomes resistant to insulin or when there is an insulin deficiency. This type of diabetes can often be managed with regular exercise and a proper diet.
    Thus far, medical scientists have been unable to pinpoint the exact causes of diabetes. However, there are certain factors which may increase the risk of developing diabetes, and therefore an individual must try to overcome them. The most common causes are:
    obesity
    smoking
    having a family history of diabetes
    eating an unbalanced diet
    regularly consuming too much sugar, carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
    emotional stress
    certain virus infections such as the Coxsackie B virus
    Home Remedies for the Treatment of Diabetes
    Diabetes Home Remedy Using Apple Cider Vinegar
    The nutritional components of Apple Cider Vinegar help control the rise in blood sugar levels when you eat a meal.
    Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and add a pinch of salt to it.
    Mix it in a glass of water.
    Drink this before every large meal.

Diabetes Home Remedy Using Flaxseed Oil
    Supplements containing essential fatty acids, such as Flaxseed Oil, can help repair the cellular damage caused by a lifetime of high sugar consumption.
    Combine 4 oz. of cottage cheese with 1.5 oz. of flax seed oil and 1 oz. of milk into a blender.
    Add honey or fresh fruits to add sweetness.
    Blend this mixture and drink daily each morning.

Diabetes Herbal Remedy Using Alfalfa
    Rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, Alfalfa makes an amazing herbal remedy to lower blood sugar levels.
    Take one teaspoon of Alfalfa seeds and sprinkle them on every meal you eat.
    Alfalfa capsules can also be taken following the directions on the package.

Herbal Remedy for Diabetes Using Cinnamon
    Research has shown that small doses of Cinnamon can be beneficial in treating Type 2 Diabetes, since it can reduce blood sugar levels while simultaneously increasing the body's natural production of insulin.
    Take half a teaspoon of Cinnamon powder each morning.
    Repeat this for 40 days.
    The Cinnamon powder can be consumed in a number of ways:
    Sprinkle cinnamon into your coffee.
    Add a cinnamon stick to your favorite herbal tea.
    Mix cinnamon powder into unsweetened applesauce.
    Add cinnamon powder to your cereal or oatmeal.
    NOTE: If you are taking medication to control blood sugar levels, any regular consumption of cinnamon should only be taken after consulting with your doctor.

Natural Remedy for Diabetes Using Whole Foods
    Whole foods such as fruits,vegetables, grains, beans, nuts, and seeds are rich in fiber and other nutritional factors that help stabilize blood sugar levels.
    Eat at least five fruits every day. Fruits like banana, blackberry, blueberries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, pomegranate juice, granny smith apples, kiwi fruits, and citrus fruits are highly recommended.
    Try to eat every color from whole foods each day to control high blood sugar levels. Excellent vegetables include artichoke, black beans, cabbage, carrots, cucumber, garlic, lettuce, onion, radish, string beans, tomatos, spinach, squash, turnip, and brown rice.

Using Exercise as a Home Remedy for Diabetes
    Obesity is one of the main causes of diabetes. Most people with Type 2 diabetes are 30 to 60 pounds overweight. For them only losing this excessive weight can control their Diabetes. Muscle building and weight training can play an important role in Diabetes control. Having more muscle and less fat reduces the insulin intake requirement.
    Taking a brisk walk for about 45 minutes each to 1 hour each day helps normalize body weight. It can also help correct insulin resistance which is the main problem in Type 2 diabetes.
    10 to 40 minutes of Yoga each day can help to relieve stress, which is a contributing factor for Type 2 diabetes.
    If you exercise everyday and are taking insulin injections, you should monitor your blood sugar level closely since exercise may allow you to cut down your insulin by 30 to 50 percent.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  7. priyasuresh11

Hi Friends,

In several sites I have noticed the following as a good home remedy.Try it.

Eat 10 fresh fully full-fledged curry leaves each morning for three months. It avoids diabetes due to genetic or heredity factors.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  8. sanjanaP

sanjanaP New IL'ite

Hi Ladies , I was also recently diagnosed with pcos , i had started getting lot of chin hair from past 1 yr , so visited doctor , she told me by diagnosing that i have a cysts in my ovary , its pcos , did other harmonal test also and told everything is normal except i have some cysts , I get my periods regularly except sometime 2-3 day delay will be there max , she told its one of symptom of pcos getting facial hairs called hirutism , she has prescribed me to take bcp diana 35 for 6 months and follow diet and exercise .
    Its been already 4 months i am taking bcp , i am doing workout threadmill for 45 min , avoid oil food and processed one but am not on completely diet . i am not finding significant change in chin hair , its same i have to remove once in 3-4 days it will grow so fast , has anyone is facing this chin hair problem , did u people try something to get rid of this ??
    In some sites have read women with hirutism condition can see changes if they drink spearmint herbal tea , on other hand some have mentioned it has side effects , has anyone tried this tea , have u find changes and is it safe ??

9. Triv0158

Triv0158 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I have Pocs, I've had it for a long time. At first my doctor gave me birth control pills and that regulated my periods. I also have alot of hair on my chin. It's very embarrassing and I hate going out. I felt like I tried everything...eating better, exercising at least 45 min per day, Diane 35 and everything to lose wight. But nothing was working but lately I found a ayurvedic powder that they told me to rub on my chin...I don't know the exact name, sorry, and I'm hoping this will work. Will let you know if it does.

10. sanjanaP

sanjanaP New IL'ite

Hi ladies did anyone find solution to reduce chin hair due to pcos , Hi triv , plz send me name of that ayurvedic powder which reduced chin hair for you and where do we get , i am facing it now too much , its growing very thick almost thrice in a week i have to remove by both waxing and tweezing , and i am feeling ver embrassed i am getting almost like my husband beird complete on chin and neck , daily morning i am trying to remove hairs on chin by using tweezer :bonk

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011