1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Benefits of Bitter Gourd

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by coolblues, Dec 15, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Dear ILites,

Did you know that making friends with bitter gourd can keep you away from many chronic ailments? Know the medicinal benefits of this tropical veggie. Check the attached slideshow.

Do you know of any other benefits of a bitter gourd? Write in your thoughts..

Cheers!

Attached Files:

4 people like this.

2. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

hi coolblues,

yepp!!! this "not so tasty" veggie is actually very very beneficial.
    for controlling cholesterol
    diabetic patients
    my father has bittergaurd juice every morning & his sugar levels are well in controlled. thanx to god!!

not so tasty things are of great worth.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Coolblues, good compilation.

the curing properties of this vegetable lies in the bitterness, and if we soak and wash away the bitterness, we are losing out half..

It is said, the vegetables/leaves/seeds that have that excessive bitterness and are edible then they are very much useful in getting rid of toxins in turn blood purification - neem, bittergourd both.

so my only suggestion, if it is difficult to have it as a juice, and if allowed you can mix it with tomato/apple juice or also buttermilk would reduce the bitterness to a extent.

the seeds of this plant is pressed for its oil which is used for medicinal purpose

the leaves are very beneficial in the treatment of skin blemishes, just like neem. even is given as a extract for cholera.

It is said that a moderate use of very fresh bittergourd gives the necessary amount of folic acid our body needs. full of phyto nutrients a vegetable that needs to makes its way to atleast a weekly vegetable.

low calories, full of benefits, and one more plant which is completely beneficial ( roots, leaf, fruit, seed) like the banana, coconut and neem..

Research is being done on bittergourd for treatment of breast cancer and also for HIV (source : doctor - naturopathy)

6 people like this.
  4. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

hi, thanks for all your health tips

5. DURGARAJ

DURGARAJ Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    There are lot of health benefits of Bitter gourd. It is recommended to eat bitter gourd in every week to 10 days to improve health.
    ENERGY: Regular consumption of bitter gourd juice improves stamina and energy levels.
    EYE PROBLEM: It helps to elevate the eye problem and improves the eye sight.
    IMMUNE BOOSTER: It helps to improve the immunity and increase your body's resistance to fight against infection.

You can include in your diet by cooking in variety of ways like Curry, fry or stuffed (even you can stuff meat). It tastes really good.

6. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite

thanks for this tip.. as really helpfu;

7. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

Awesome. I see it controls insulin resistance. I'm going to give it a try atleast once a week.

8. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

bitter gourd is very good to keep away the formation of free radicals. It is an excellent for detoxification. It kills intestinal worms.

As shanvy rightly mentioned, i too feel that adding salt and removing the bitterness is nothing but eating just hay. Many discard the seeds and use which is wrong. it should be eaten bitter and with the seeds. frying also take out the good properties. So boiling is the best. To lessen the bitterness it can be cooked using tamarind and little jaggery.

Bitterness is also a taste like sweet, salt, spice. We should impart this knowledge to our children and encourage them eat bittergourd like any other vegetbale.

I remember the days when I hated bittergourd during my childhood days. But my kept telling me the goodness that nature has packed in its products and that should never waste or say no to veggies as many in the world suffer because of hunger.... all these encouraged me and finally I started having this vegetable from the age of 7 :)

9. jkaly

jkaly Bronze IL'ite

Bitter guard can be made like chips using oven so that even kids will like it.

preparation:

1. cut bitter guard into thin slices.
    2. soak in tamarind water by adding salt and turmeric for few mins then cook in micro high for 2-3 mins with tamarind water.
    3. Drain the water and give a wash in normal water and wait for the watre to drain.
    4. Add chilli powder and salt to the bitter guard, mix well and keep in microwave for 10-15mins.(Since my oven is not convention i used Grill mode :))

the color of the bitter guard will turn black and taste just like chips with no bitter in it.

10. Eraser

Eraser Silver IL'ite

Please don't consume it very often like often in a day or daily or everyother day - particularly for guys as it can kill good / essential organisms too - doctor may start you on probiotics later.

Above is for adventurous people like me who try and over do things - otherwise, ignore!