1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

I swear on home remedies!

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by Ronita12, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Ronita12

Ronita12 New IL'ite

Though i have tried market products but somehow dunn trust them 100%, i have vanish as my backup but i always try home remedy as n when i require :)

2. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Must have medicines in every home.

I have given a few medicines I always keep in my medicine cup board.

1.Castor oil:

During periods time applying castor oil on and around one's navel reduces stomach ache.
    A tea spoon of castor oil added with ordinary coconut oil for applying over hair daily improves hair texture and strength .You can notice the increased black color of hair within a week.Sinus patients should avoid this.

Castor oil with a pinch of asfoetida when applied several times per day over small facial warts removes them.

2.Sunnambhu (Lime):

When there is irritation while passing urine or problems like passing urine drop by drop this definitely relieves from the problem within 5 minutes.Mix sunnambhu with water to form a paste and apply over the two big toes.(following in our house for generations).

If the problem persists,one should consult a doctor.

3.Eucalyptus oil:

During severe body pain because of tiredness,after a long journey,cold or fever,take a bath in hot water mixed with 10 drops of eucalyptus oil.This is very helpful during winter season.

Foot pain due to long hours of strain can be relieved by soaking the legs in hot water mixed with a few drops of this oil.

Inhaling vapors of eucalyptus oil in steaming water is effective when we catch cold.

4.Dhanvantri Thailam:

This thailam is available in Ayurveda pharmacy.Again ,this relieves from body pain,soothes nerves,brings relaxed sleep.Apply the thailam generously all over the body except the scalp and wait for half an hour.Then take bath in hot water.The oil is easily washed away with normal soap.

I used this daily when I was pregnant to get rid of back pain and my severe pain in ribs.

5.Asfoetida:

When you are suffering from bloating,gas troubles,just mix half a teaspoon of asfoetida in half cup of hot water and drink.See the result in 10 minutes.

6.Sunda vathal podi:

This is available in sidha medicine stores.As the name suggests,it is made from sundakkai.During stomach discomfort ,food poisoning,diarrhea have half a cup of butter milk mixed with a spoon of this podi.

This can be had any number of times per day as sundakkai is good for stomach ulcer,worm infestation in stomach.We have this every time after eating out.

Every thing I mentioned above are tried ,tested and the results are beneficial.Please,share simple home remedies you follow.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. Hemasanda

Hemasanda Silver IL'ite

Re: Must have medicines in every home.

Wow amazing tips with the easily available things. I noted down all these. Keep posting.

4. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kishoremommy,

Welcome to IL Health Forum. Very nice post. Let me join with my box of medicines from the kitchen

Pepper : very good medicine. There is a saying in Tamizh which meant "if you have 10 peppers in your hand, you can have food even at your enemie's place". Never cause any stomach problems still spice up your food. Very good for sore throat, cold & fever. For cold & cough, boil milk + haldi powder + pepper and drink. Add it in rasam to have it along with rice for fever / cold. If you have continuous cough or sore throat, keep a pepper in your mouth, bite and slowly swallow the juice.

Dry Ginger :Very good for stomach ailments. Boil in adding to water drink as it is. Boil in water, add some buttermilk & salt drink or have it with plain rice. Soothes your stomach and also increase appetite.

Ashtachoorna : This power you get in ayurvedic pharmacies - a combination of 8 herbs - excellent cure for stomach ailments. Can be mixed along with butter milk to drink. Add to hot rice topped with little ghee.

Haradi / Kadukkai :- Excellent medicine to clean the intestines. Boil it in water and leave it overnight. Morning warm it, add buttermilk and drink in empty stomach. Cleans your intestines in natural way.

Thalisapathradhi vadagam / powder - It is available in powder form as well as in tablet (vadagam) form. Combination of herbs like tipli, pepper, karpoor etc. Good for cough & sore throat. You get it in ayurvedic medicine stores.

Garlic : is a Wonder Medicine, though some hates it. It is also a sanjeevani which keep the diseases away. Purifies the blood, improves circulation, cures gas troubles and control bad cholestrol. Very good for heart. Excellent medicine for cold & flu. Can be pickled in lemon juice + salt. Add it to dhal powder. Make rasam. Make lehyam. Those who have gas trouble can still enjoy root vegetables like potato and legumes (as they produce more gas) by including raw garlic or lightly saute'd one in food followed by your favourite food.

4 people like this.
  5. kishoremommy

Thanks mimur9 and Hemasanda.It is always a good practice to try home remedies instead of antibiotics and pain killers for minor problems as they have no bad side effects .

My MIL (my own aunt.I married my cousin) was taking pain killers for years as it provides immediate relief from her back pain.Now,she is suffering from kidney ailments and her doctor has advised her to stop taking pain killers.My sister was also taking pain killers to get rid of her neck pain and some times during periods time also .She ended with severe loss of blood platelets,a life threatening disease.

Still it is a common practice to swallow medicines such as crocin,cough syrups,erythromycin,brufen,dart to get immediate relief.This in course of time leads to damage of liver,kidney and total damage of our immune system.

Let us make use of our precious home medicines.

Vyoshadi vatakam:

This is available in Ayurveda pharmacy.When we suffer from continuous cough and throat irritation taking 1/4 spoon of this vatakam and chewing gives instant relief.Toddlers can't take this medicine since it tastes hot.

Camphor:

During wheezing, chest congestion in babies try this.

Heat Gingelly oil --- 1 spoon,Remove from fire and add turmeric powder --- two pinches,garlic --- 1 clove,camphor --- 2,vicks vapourub --- 1/2 spoon.

Apply this while warm twice or thrice per day and especially during night over chest,back of the ears,over nose,throat,over back,ribs and sole of the feet .This facilitates easy breathing and cough free sleep.

Even adults can follow this.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
    3 people like this.
  6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Yes, pain killers are very harmful. But sometimes even I end up having them when i have severe migraine otherwise the pain last for more than 3 days and managing home & outside work with the headache forces me. So just trying to avoid the causes that trigger them to my best possible extent.

For toddlers who have cough or sore throat, can give them thalisapathradhi powder or the tablet (after crushing to a nice powder) by mixing with honey. My mother used to give me and i liked the taste too as it is sweet along with honey :)

Salt water the best remedy for the throat ailments. Gargle by adding salt with warm water. I do this when i sense even a mild irritation in throat (prevention better than cure!) :)

Dry Hot Press : If i sense even a mild cold or irritation in nose or near sinus bag area, I heat a tawa, roll a clean towel, then zimmer the flame, keep the rolled cloth over it for few seconds and place it on over the nose, the sinus area and also breathe in the hot air. It prevents & cures the cold at the initial stage itself. Even for running nose, this is an excellent remedy. But keep doing it till you get relief.

these two things keep me away from cold & sufferings caused by it :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ajwain and jeera, can be cleaned, washed and boiled and made into tea and given to kids for digestion.

you can mix asoefoetida with gingelly oil and apply around the navel for relief of stomach pain both in adults and kids.

Drinking milk with turmeric relieves cold.

make a paste of kadukkai and vasambu and heat it and apply it over the forehead for reducing running nose.

make a paste of crushed pepper, turmeric and apply it as hot as bearable for reducing running nose and cold.

when making camphor oil, be sure that it is good quality.

you can leave cotton soaked in eucalyptus oil in the room that kids sleep..

make a thick paste of tamarind and rock salt,boil, and apply in bearable heat on places of sprains and swelling..especially leg..

hold a piece of raw onion in between the tooth,if you have tooth ache..

2 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  9. kishoremommy

Mimur9,I have followed the dry hot press method when my elder DS was 2 years old and was suffering from severe chest congestion.I did it on his chest.It worked.But for sinus ,I should try next time as you suggested.

Here in Coimbatore,the climate is always cool and sinusitis persons like me suffer a lot throughout the year.Literally,I live on instant home remedies.If your idea works,I will be the happiest person.

And Shanvy ,the eucalyptus oil in cotton is a good idea.I usually sprinkle it over my kid's dress,collar area and over their pillows .

10. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi a very lovely thread on herbal garden. Breathing & talking walk in the garden itself will give lot of medicinal benefits. thanks for sharing.