You are already
a member and logged in!
Betel leaves (vetrilai in tamil)
Betel leaf has an important place in auspicious and religious rituals, marriages and other social ceremonies of India.
also visit the link given below for medicinal properties of all herbs
- The specific spicy burning taste of this leaf is derived from the presence of volatile oil consisting of phenols and terpenes etc.
- The presence and proportion of the various components in the oil vary markedly among the cultivars which makes them differ in aroma and taste.
- the nutrients present in betel leaves include Iron, Aluminium, vitamins like B and C etc.
- The medicinal properties of betel leaf are well known since time immemorial.
- It exhibits carminative, stimulant, astringent and aromatic properties.
- It is good for sweet breath, voice improvement, clearing throat and for removing bad odour of mouth.
- It also acts as aphrodisiac.
- The leaf has good smell along with sharp taste and this improves taste and appetite.
- It lessens thirst and strengthens teeth.
- Betel leaf juice is a tonic to brain, heart, liver and other internal organs.
- Effective to improve bowel action in the case of constipation.
- When applied to the temples, it is effective to provide relief from head ache.
- Relieves pain of swollen glands.
- Leaf juice is effective to cure eye problems and night blindness.
Betel Leaves Benefits, Medicinal Properties of Betel Leaves, Pan, Piper Betle