1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ayurveda a Farce?

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by Durgapriye, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Do You think Ayurveda a Farce?

I recently went to a doctor while speaking with him I happened to say I took ayurvedic medicine for which his immediate response was “what ayurvedic? Ayurvedic is a farce I am surprised you take those medicine” I didn’t reply anything to it……..
    Dear friends here I want to share my views of this incident…In my opinion it has become fashion among most people to just say anything derogatory about our ancient Indian science be it Ayurveda, Yoga, Meditation, Puja astrology if I go on enumerating the list gets endless……..I am aghast just because we studied n progressed using western methods doesn’t mean that we suspect n malign our ancient knowledge….
    There was a time when English doctors not knowing exactly the cause of some ailments gave coloured sugar syrups to their patients and now we just laud their medicine when Ayurveda taught them the so called modern techniques of surgery even plastic surgery they took our texts n used it completely n mastered the art n showed all world by incorporating into their medicine n made it a success to treat major ailments. We on our end blindly praise their medicine n label our own indigenous methods as farce what to say?????????
    Why I like ayurveda is because if correctly incorporated it teaches you how to lead healthy life without any major health concerns. It is this very thing that allopathy doctors don’t like for if we don’t have any major health concerns then How will they prosper?.....
    Agreed Ayurveda doesn’t have solutions to all types of ailment, ditto wrt allopathy….. In olden days we didn’t have such huge list of major ailments, so for what was common ailments then ayurveda treated it but now with lifestyle changes n aping west we have brought n bringing host of their maladies to India n have given no encouragement to research for ayurvedic remedy………Day in day out we are hearing one or the other important ayurvedic ingredients prevents/cures this or that n researchers are trying to manufacture them in synthetic form…..I just wonder how far this will help cant they take ayurvedic principles n formulate the remedy under ayurveda if they do so all the credit will go to ayurveda which they branded as farce……….. In they name of green revolution they gambled with mother earth now see what’s happening major problems environmental n health issues are created ………..

In the end what I want to point out is we as Indians need to identify good things in our own scriptures n culture then only can we help ourselves …..What are your opinions friends?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

2. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Ayurveda is not fast food unlike modern medicine. Ayurveda has worked me to get rid of frequent cough and cold and has improved my health. I'd recommend Ayurveda for all the basic ailments like cough, cold, pains.

3. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

I suffered with severe headache continuously for 3 days and took allopathy tablets thrice but the pain releif was only for 3 or 4 hrs per tablet.So I decided that this is not going to work and googled for some ayurvedic home remedies.Surprisingly it worked out and I got permanent releif from the pain.Only thing to be followed is the approproiate diet which is not at all difficult to follow.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Can Wait,
    Thank You for your Fb even my DH was suffering from mild sinus I was aat my mothers place for his sinus the allopathy doctors gave asthama nebulisers once I returned I spotted it n asked my dh later I made him stop all medication n started simple remedy of having warm watere honey every morning on empty stomach to increase his resistance/immunity power then for sinus I used just hing (asafeatida) to cure it got cured ... I really get irritated at these doctors without knowing the real value of ayurveda they are passing derogatory comments to add to this even medical insurance paym,ent which one gets in pvt sector dont recognise ayurvedic medicine.....:bonk Can Wait please share your remedy....

5. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Dear Hemalatha,
    Thanks for your fb pls share the remedy so we can try them

6. sankarimaheswar

sankarimaheswar Senior IL'ite

Ayurveda is not only a medical treatment but also a way of life. It is a vast area of general preventive care, food habits and natural medicines.
    10 years before , one day i was suffering from severe headache and i went to doctor and as per his adivce took english medicines. It could not cure.i applied for leave. Till evening it was non stop.seeing my sufferings my mother gave an idea. She told it may be due to gastic trouble (vaadham) and applied dry ginger paste on my forehead.

For nearly one hour i had to yawn continuously( am i correct -- it is kottaavi in tamil). And to my surprise the head ache completely disappeared.
    Ayurveda treats the root cause of the dicease and not the symptoms.

7. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

I powdered a teaspoon of cloves, a tsp of crystal salt, crushed two or three cloves of garlic and made a paste in a small quantity of milk and then applied to my fore head and all the areas where I had pain and just let it dry and went to sleep.The important thing is to drink luke warm water instead of cold water.The medicine takes out the unwanted water or the liquid from the head which caused head ache.There are more and more remedies if you google for them for various pains.The ingredients mentioned in those are easily available in our house itself.

8. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Thank you Sankari for your FB n remedy.....

9. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Thank you Hema,
    Actually we do find many but what I look for is tried n tested remedy.......

10. sandhyaThink

sandhyaThink New IL'ite

hi,

reading all the posts also leads me to think that we often confuse home remedies with Ayurveda. Ayurveda is a time tested science of understanding the tridoshas and how they affect the body. Our diet and home remedies work because they reverse the aggravated dosha. but i don't know if the same home remedy will work for all people for a particular complaint, because the underlying aggravated dosha may be different for each person.

I have followed only ayurveda for close to 20 years now and am in good health. I am not against allopathy and take calcium supplements daily [which is also because i prefer tablets to milk or curd], but i do think ayurveda has the best understanding of how the body works and ought to be maintained.

cheers
    Sandhya