1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

bharatanatyam- how to tie hair -very urgent please....

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by anu2001, Jun 13, 2009.

1. anu2001

anu2001 New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My daughter's 'arangetam' is nearing. I didn't study classical dance and i have no idea about the costumes especially how to tie hair and wear hair ornaments. Please help me friends.It is very urgent.her program is on coming friday.
    eagerly waiting for your reply,
    anu

2. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Hi Anu,

Wow.... this is like going into flashback. It's been ages since I left my dancing. So, let me try to explain this procedure as much as I can.

Firstly, make sure to wash your daughter's hair a day before her show & practise a few times to get it well. Since it's on friday, time is running out. Better practise daily now :thumbsup

Also, make sure you have lots of hair pins - bobby pins & U-pins also. You also need a something to help you create a round bun.... Ok... this is the hard - confusing part to explain.....This is how my mother made it for me years ago. Take a few bangles & glue them together, then tie it together with some ribbons. Make sure they are tightly tied & keep doing this till you get an even thick bangle. The last ribbon or cloth must be balck in colour.

Now the procedure....
    1. Give a middle partation to the hair.
    2. Divide hair in two section half way across (horizontally)... like the way you do for half pony. [​IMG] Like in this pic... but without the braids.
    3. Put the ponytail inside the handmade-bangle & spread the hair around the bangle. You need some assistance... ask someone to hold the hair tight.
    4. Take a thick black thread & tie it around the hair.... so that it is secured well.
    5. You can put the Jura pin (you can put the thread in this & insert it with a U-pin. & secure it with the thread, around the prepared bangle).[​IMG]
    5. Bring the hair down & comb.
    6. Secure the false hair with a thread & plait it... all the way to the bottom. Leave around 5 inches below.
    7. Now you can put the Mathapati with sun & moon.
    [​IMG]
    8. You can decorate the hair either with flowers or with hair accessories like [​IMG]

For the makeup, it's essential that you emphasis on the eyes. Lips have to be red or maroon. Blush is also needed. Tikka/Bindi is very very important. It has to be big enough to be seen from far!

Make sure all the ornaments are well secured.

Pics taken from : Temple Jewellery(professional) - Bharatanatyam Jewellery Temple Jewellery [HIS-BJ4] - Rs.3622.00 : bharatanatyamworld.com leaders in indian ethenic classical dance dress & accessories.!, Under Harshimpexservices.com

All the best & Let me know how it went :thumbsup

3. anu2001

anu2001 New IL'ite

Hi justani,
    Thank you so much for your detailed reply.In fact I never expected a response such this. Thanks a lot....
    Now I have a idea about hair style.But some doubts are still remaining.When we take centre partition is it possible to tie half ponytail? and one more is Is it kajal or eyeliner to polish eyes?
    Anyway your narration and especially pictures are indeed worth and useful not only to me but to other people who are unaware of classical dance also.
    Thanking you,
    anu

4. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

No problem Anu. :)

The half ponytail may not be very neat. But it's ok. Tie the hair then run the fine comb again around the parted areas. The ornaments will cover the hairline. You can secure any loose hair with bobby pins. Be sure to pin up after putting the matapati.

For the eye makeup, I think it's better to use kajal pencil. The effect is very bold & dramatic. You can make them soft as well, initially & dramatize it in case you need to.

The eyes have to stand out... since all the expression is done by the eyes. Try to make them look like in the attached pics.

Attached Files:

• BN1.jpg
      BN1.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
    • BN3.jpg
      BN3.jpg
      File size:
      37.7 KB
      Views:
  5. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Anu,

I manged to get a pic of how the hair is suppose to look like before putting the flowers/accessories.

Oh yes.... I forgot to mention... Tie to get a cotton thread, instead of syntheitic one. They are more strong. You could use an unused cotton shoelace, after removing the edges!

I woudl like to know how my explaination worked out. So don't forget to share the pic of how pretty your daughter looked. Will PM you my id... if you don't mind!

Attached Files:

• BN2.jpg
      BN2.jpg
      File size:
      75.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  6. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Anu,

I was just looking around for some alternative to the handmade bangle. I saw something which could be used. But I am not sure how secure you can make it.

[​IMG]
    Perhaps you could use a readymade bun like the one above.

But if there are a lot of head movements, it could be a problem. :hide:

You could give it a try...since the days are fast approaching!

7. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Sending across how the head gear looks like .... from the top.

Be sure to secure the sun & moon with the black thread too, so that they are not moved from their place while dancing.

Attached Files:

• BN5.jpg
      BN5.jpg
      File size:
      43.9 KB
      Views:
    • BN4.jpg
      BN4.jpg
      File size:
      13 KB
      Views:
  8. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    How to fix the bun:
    Make a center partition for about 2 inches, so that the center is correct. Then take a portion of hair like a C from the center of the top of the head and tie a pony with black cotton thread.
    Insert the ready made bun (called VADA) through this pony & rest it at the base of the pony. Spread the hair around the vada and comb neatly. Ask somebody other than your daughter to hold the bun firmly (this person has to hold the hair around the circumference of the bun) and you tie another black cotton thread around it.
    There will be piggy tail from the remaining hair, which you can take around the bun and fix with U-pins.
    Check: Gently shake to check that the bun does not move. Then fix the rakkodi.

How to fix the plait:
    Then plait the remaining hair along with the false hair. The length is upto the butt. Keep the kunjalam & tie tightly with thread.
    Check: after you finish the plating, gently pull the hair, to check that it does not come out.

Jewellery:
    Normally it is better to tie thin black thread to the head ornaments (chutti set, chandran, suryan, etc) Take a long thread and insert the chandran on the left side & Suryan on the right sde. Keep it on the head to check the position. Tie one knot below chandran and another below Suryan so that they do not move. Keep on the head again and tie it at the bottom of the head.
    Similarly fix the chutti set and you are done.

Flowers:
    Normally you tie a string of flowers around the bun. The rest of the flowers depends on what the teacher wants.

9. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anu,
    Good luck for your daughter's program. If she is dancing in a group, then I am sure you will find some parent to help you.
    When my daughter Swetha started dancing 15 years ago, I did not know anything either. Now the situation is different. I dress her and anyone esle who needs help as well.
    No worries, you will be an expert soon.

Regards
    USHA

10. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

Hi Anu Aunty
    My mother has just replied to you ... She has detailed out how to tie the hair.

As far as makeup is concerned, it is better to use cosmetics that are water proof so that they dont run off. Eyes form the major and most important part of the make-up. Kajal may smudge when you sweat ... so use eyeliner, but you need make careful strokes to make sure that you dont poke your daughter's eyes by mistake. Also, use mascara and a suitable eye-shadow. Usually, make up is done by professional make-up artists ... do you have someone to help you regarding this?

For the hair, when you take the centre parting on the hair, it should be small (abt 3 inches). It is just for you to know the centre while fixing the ornaments and to ensure that the vada is in the middle. You will then split the hair and use the top for the pony and the bottom for the plait (slightly more than 25% will be used for pony and the rest for plait). Also, the tip of the vada should be visible from the front after tying.

All the best for your daughter's programme. Let us know if you need any further help.

Regards
    SWETHA