1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

I don't think A R Rahman deserves this much hype!

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by nishatw, Oct 18, 2010.

1. nishatw

nishatw Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I am a music lover and a student in hindustani classical music. I would like to share my view here abt the much talked about A R Rahman. I like quite a few songs done by him. But lately i find him more as a businessman and less of a musician. I feel his recent compositions are copies of his earlier songs and monotonous. Moreover i don't see a proper structure or melody for most of the songs. Just some sounds and lot of orchestra. Also, i felt it really unfair to take 5.5 crores for composing one song for Commonwealth Games. As a proud indian he could do it for a lesser sum. It's the people and film makers of india who gave him this much popularity and money! Still why so much greed????? I feel we should give more importance to other music directors who really make good music but lack attention. My personal favourites are illayaraja, vidyasagar,salim-sulaiman, shankar-ehsaan-loy and shantanu moitra. I love many other musicians who used to compose previously in movies like nadeem-shravan, R D Burman,S D Burman,Naushad, Ravi, Ouseppachan etc. What are your views abt this topic. Please respond!

2. Akkinenirockz

Akkinenirockz Bronze IL'ite

I did not learn any music, so no comments on structure !

Since Roja, I am following ARR almost I watched all his films. When you take recent movies, I too agree that those are not upto his mark at least. But there is at least one song composed from his heart. I believe at least this.When I plugin headset and listen slow/melody songs, I feel every instrument he used brought the life to song. I never heard any complaint from any singer regarding his composition.

My six month daughter who never heard ARR's previous songs, starts dancing once we keep VTV songs. Individual tastes are different but his experiments are never failed.

Unfortunately he has choosen wrong scripts/stories in other languages i.e Hindi/Telugu which were failed at Boxoffice except Rangeela and Taal. But as a album he scored almost with the same passion.

If you observe Pot maker, eventhough he has brilliant technique and experience to mould, he keep on trying to get finest shape. Music also same thing.

Regarding other Music Directors you mentioned, they have given fully freedom to come up with nice tunes. Since ARR moved to London and is busy all the time in the tours, could not sit and do best. Its Director's mistake who did not get the music what the story/movie deserves.

Finally on money. The entire Jai Ho concert which he is conducting all over the world,routing them to so many trusts, schools and funds.. It is Indian govt. did wrong thing asking ARR to do a song and I wonder how many lobbied from 5.5Cr deal. BTW he is using his LONDON recording studio for all his works and his musicians are from all over the world. So he needs to pay them big amount.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nisha,
    I reciprocate many of your points on ARR music... I liked most of his compositions in Roja. But offlate, as u say, if u here, somewhere he keaves his signature so strongly that the charm of something new is missing. And also, I do not think it needs to be something new always... But the melody and sweetness are lacking sometimes...

And also, I am find of soft music. Too much orchestra and backgorund chores do not allure me. So I am off when such things are there in his compositions.

Agreed.
    It is HIS style, I guess :)

OMG!!!!

I think he is not utilising his talents to the fullest.

4. Akkinenirockz

To Any music dirctor, should sink to generations ! one can't fix to same tune all the time.

Mastro Ilayaraja did the same thing and his earlier directors too.

His recent experiment "hello helo" from Jhootha Hi Sahi is top class :thumbsup

5. nishatw

nishatw Senior IL'ite

I appreciate ur sincere opinions my friends. I also like few songs composed by A R Rahman like roja,bombay,jodha akbar etc. But recently whichever i have listened didn't even register in my mind. What i feel is that lot of people agree with me on this but just because he won oscar people blindly say that he's the best. which irritates me since in india we have a endless number of musicians who make good music. i think blindly promoting whatever garbage A RR makes is an insult to those sincere and talented musicians. I wish people should appreciate only good music!

6. Akkinenirockz

Come on Everyone who likes him is not because he won Oscar ! Infact I even did not see the movie and heard the music. It is the politics that played to get Oscar not because his music is so adorable.

I am saying all these because, I have listened all his songs including his Background music bits.

We are not blind to accept everything !

Legend of Bhagat Singh, 1947 The Earth, Bose the Unforgetten hero, Tahzeeb, Lagaan, what not list is endless.

Meherbaan Meherbaan, Mujpe Toofan Utaye from Tazeeb :thumbsup

Ruth Aa gaye re - 1947

There is a sufi song called "Zikr" which was sung by both rakeeb, Rafi, Shoukat Ali and ARR - too good

7. ranjaniagn

ranjaniagn New IL'ite

Hi Nisha,

Well said, I also think the same as u mentioned. Really, Illayaraja Sir, Burmanda, Vidyasagar, Deva
    & many more have given much more better melodious songs.
    Their songs r still melodious & touching to our heart.
    Yesterday I saw Enthiran, the music is not at all pleasing to listen.
    Actually some people r giving much ado for nothing.

Ranjani

8. ranjaniagn

ranjaniagn New IL'ite

ARR's earlier songs were melodious, no doubt, but now-a-days his musics r not so much worth, particularly the CWG song is not at all equal to FIFA world-cup's song, as he said it would be.

9. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Hi Nisha,

Whenever I listen to Illayaraja songs I will be thinking that he did not get the right appreciation IMO.Rahman's roja songs are too good and many other songs are also good but not everything is good.A music is one which should please even an illitrate irrespecctive of his knowledge in music.In that case Illayaraja deserves all the awards.:thumbsup

10. Akkinenirockz

Still I stick with my word !

A pot maker does so many trails to get finest shape and beautiful clay item.

I wonder how he is managing such huge archestra and delivering master pieces.

I heard that 200 International artists are with him for the Music !

:bowdown to his knowledge and passion !

I have been to his live concern at Dubai ! such a wonderful experience it is. They around 100 Musicans on the dias and couple of foreign singers came up with new songs !!

ARR Live experience :thumbsup