1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which one did you like better - 'UPO' or 'A Wednesday'

Discussion in 'Movies' started by aswini, Oct 9, 2009.

1. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Hello All,

I watched both Unnai Pol Oruvan and 'A Wednesday'. For some reason, I couldn't stop comparing the two versions. Both the movies were excellent- no doubt. But if you have watched both, which one did you like better?

Here is my analysis. I am not comapring the actor's abilities since all of them did a commendable job.

According to me, though the story line was same, the emotions (last dialogue by Kamal) was powerful when compared to 'A Wednesday'. Also, I liked Mohanlal better than Kher in the Commisioner role. I feel he did more justice to the ruf and tuf police commissioner role.

Coming to Kamal's role, he did a perfect job so did Nasseruddin shah. I saw Wednesday first and I perceived it to be the feeling of a common man who is considered meek. Nasseruddin Shah fits this role without much efforts. When I saw Kamal in UPO, I somehow had 'the hero' kind of thing when I saw Kamal. He has toned down his acting and appearance but still I saw kamal as Kamal, a hero who cannot be wrong. In Wednesday, the plot will go as if Nasseruddin shah was a terrorist too and since Nasseruddin shah doesn't have a hero image, you tend to beleive it and hence the suspense is maintained till the end. But in this case, its kamal and he can't be a terrorist. Atleast we know that for sure so I felt Kamal and Mohanlal should have switched roles to keep the suspense. May be its because I watched Wednesday first.

What do you all think? Those who watched UPO first, did you think Kamal was a villain till the climax? I am curious to know.

Both the films conveyed the emotions about terrorism strongly. :thumbsup

Thanks

2. divyaprashmenon

divyaprashmenon Senior IL'ite

Hi Aswini,

I saw UPO and I haven't watched A Wednesday yet.I didn't know the storyline also,except there was some bomb scare and all.But,I didn't know who's who in the Hindi version.
    The suspense was there.In the middle of the movie,I thought tat there might be some pressure on Kamal to bring the terrorists out of jail(like his family in the custody of terrosists gang).
    I never had a thought that he'll be acting as a common man.
    I liked the movie very much.
    And,Kamal & Mohanlal are my fav. actors

--Divya

3. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Aswini

I like both the movies. I agree with you in common man factor. Nasruddin portrays this, better than Kamal. Since I do not know Hindi, UPO dialogues gave me the strong emotions, compared to Wednesday.

4. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

thanks for the reply, divya. Interesting to know how you thought about the plot.

5. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Thanks Bujji. I agree that Kamal's dialogues had stronger emotions especially in the climax. As you said, may be because of our affinity to tamil.
    Lets see what others have to say.

6. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Had seen "Wednesday" when it got released. To me that was an outstanding performance by Nasi. Ofcourse he's one of the great actors, no doubt in it. His anguish when he delivered the last few dialogues were applauded by a lot of critics. Here's one such review I got from web, "His outburst in the end -- when he talks about the plight of the common man -- is astounding. The entire audi, one is confident, would break into a deafening applause at this master sequence.". So is Jimmy's performance. He has shown his anger and hatred so well in this movie.

Yet to watch UPO, but definitely on my list but it no more will be thrilling like the original as I already know what's gonna happen. But will watch it for the crew and for Kamal to see how they have done.

Will give my reply in the thread after watching UPO.

-Uma

7. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

I have seen only UPO,no plans of watching A wednesday.

8. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

I watched A Wednesday first, so the effect was of that movie was more. It was like i knew the plot, dialogues and every action when i watched UPO. So i cannot compare.

But when naseerudinn shah delivered the last scene (His lengthy chat with police commissioner) the bomb in the train. how it killed a youngster who was engaged....

I was almost in tears. you could relate very much to those scenes.

Somehow i missed them in tamil.

dunno, may be because i knew the plot of the story earlier itself..

1 person likes this.
  9. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

My vote is for A Wednesday.

I saw hindi one first though I had known the storyline before. I guess the main catch here is the location of the incident in hindi and tamil. I feel Mumbai is more appropriate there and when Naseer explains how a common man has to suffer everyday just to be alive as no one knows when terrorism can strike there ( i.e instances when his wife calls him frequently to know his status jus to know he is alive). This I felt was more touchy that Kamal explaining even though Chennai is a "amadhi Poonga" we should know abt what is happening elsewhere in India..

Also I felt the scenes in UPO where they show the conflicts between Mohanlal and Lakshmi were not really required. I don't remember having them in hindi version...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  10. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I liked Wednesday better than UPO