1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tamil Novels made into films

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Padmini, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear all ladies,
    after seeing some of the threads here, i think i can also write my opinions. hope u won't mind.
    Here i saw only about English novels.:bowdown Can i write about Tamil novels made into films? knowing your opinions i will feel comfortable to write.:)
    your loving pad

p.s. hope u will all encourage.
    pad.

2. Vgvnr

Vgvnr New IL'ite

Dear Padmini,

Carry forward. Express yourself. Cinema speaks no language. The title is promising.

I keep my fingers crossed.

Cheerio,
    Vgvnr.

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear vgvnr,
    thank you for the encouraging words.:)
    let me first start with the famous writer"Kalki" who was a master in writing in historical novels.
    his novel "Partibhan kanavu" created a history among the readers when it was coming as a story in kalki.
    bur when it was made into film failed to succeed.
    eventhough the star cast was good, picturised in a very neat manner. it failed to attract the audience. i feel the suspense mainted in the novel was not depicted correctly in the film.
    more to come.:thumbsup
    with love&regards
    paddy.

4. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Padmini,

Reading Tamil for me is rather cumbersome as I didn't have it as 2nd. language in school. The odd jokes in Kumudam or the tips in Mangayar Malar used to take ages for me to read .......
    In fact, the only 'Parthiban Kanavu' I was aware of [ till I saw this thread] was that movie with Sneha & Srikanth ..bonk....That's how poor my tamil literature knowledge is ...:hide:.

But my hubby is a voracious reader of such novels & have heard of some authors & books. Being here also, no access for such gems of tamil literature .
    It will be delightful to read about them & their movie versions too, in this nice thread you've started . If possible, also briefly state what the story is about / the characters etc. without giving away the plot.
    Kindly proceed and share your observations and recommendations.

Waiting for more,
    Grace.

5. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Dear Padmini,

I read Ponniyin Selvan and reading Sivakamiyin sabadham by the legend.
    Am not aware of the movie adaptation of Pathiban kanavu.
    Could you please share who starred the movie?

Expecting more interesting info from you :)

Priya movie by Rajini and Sridevi is the adaptation of Sujatha's "Ganesh and Vasanth", though there is no role in the movie for Vasanth.
    And the film is a hit.

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear grace& bujji
    thank you for your nice feed back
    Kalki was amaster in writing historic novels. in parthiban kanavu and sivakamiyin sabhadam he brought out the picture of Pallava's dynasty in 7th century.
    the store starts with the defeat of chola king Parthibhan by the great pallava king Narasimmar. but the chola king dreams that oneday chola would come tothe power. he draws all his dreams in a cave. when he dies in the war aShivanadiyar comes near him, parthibhan disclises his dream to him. THAT IS WHY THE NOVEL IS NAMED PARTHIBAN kanavu.
    the story revolves round the pallava king, the love betweenhis daughter&the chola prince.(son of parthiban) shivanadiyar. how the dream is fulfilled forms the story.
    It is written in avery beautiful mannaer with suspense.
    In the movie S.V. rangarao, gemeniganesh, vyjayanthmala, s.v.subbaih, ragini. all acted well.but in the movie suspense was missing.
    as u say Priya was written by sujatha in the sme title.
    but as sujatha once said the movie took only the title from his novel :)but the movie was aboxoffice hitRant
    rest in next. once again thank you:bowdown
    with love
    pad

7. Vgvnr

Vgvnr New IL'ite

Dear Padmini,

Good.

The element you found missing in 'Parthiban Kanavu' was supposed to be the plot of Kamal Haasan's 'slip between the cup and the lip' , the so called 'Marma Yogi'. Anyhow, it met with the same fate of Maruda Nayagam. Don't worry someone would emerge to give a fillip to the part which we all find missing in the old movie.

Yeah, doing a fine job. My appreciations.

Cheerio,
    Vgvnr.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear vgvnr,
    i am not able to understand what do u want tosay? my knowledge in english is poor. have you ever read the classic novel" parthiban kanavu"?have you seen the movie?
    with love
    pad

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Interesting thread, Padmini ma'am...
    waiting to read more about those novels into films.

sriniketan

10. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear sri,
    thank you very much for your encouraging words. hope to present in an interesting manner and make some realise about the good novels and films in tamil also.:thumbsup
    with love
    pad.