1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Telugu Cinema - Then and Now

Discussion in 'Movies' started by KalyaniBhaskar, Nov 21, 2008.

1. KalyaniBhaskar

KalyaniBhaskar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Telugu lovers,

I am starting this new thread in order to know and discuss about Telugu Cinema of the past, present and future (even though I have limited the title to the present).

Telugu cinema has made such an impact that many films were remade/dubbed into other languages. Likewise, it has adopted the themes and techniiques from the films in English and other languages too.

The telugu Cinema world has witnessed many great actors and actresses like Savithri, SVR, NTR, ANR, Jaggayya, Gummadi, Jamuna, Bhanumati, Suryakantam, Chayadevi etc. Many were highly educated too and have made good names.

It has also witnessed many great directors, music directors, photographers etc.

Quite many haunting melodies are there which are even today sung and enjoyed. They have stayed for so long and will stay for ever due to the quality of songs in every respect.

We do not ignore the movies of the recent times too. We do talk about them, the actors, acting, songs, dialogues.. etc etc etc..

Here I welcome you all to take part and freely discuss with numerous films of any era. There is much to know about the technicalities of the film world.

Hope you will all come here to share your knowledge and make this thread an intersting and informative thread.

P.S: We can use Telugu (including the font) or English to converse over here.

With Love
    Kalyani

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008

2. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Hello Kalyani ,

Very good thread indeed to discuss the magic of cinema in Tollywood.

I love the old golden movies especially the black and white ones starring NTR and Kanta Rao revolving around the royal adventures.

Some of the movies I watched as a kid on Doordarshan were Patala Bairavi , Keelu Gurram ..I can't remember a lot of names but would love if other ILs pour in their thoughts and reminisce about the good old times.

It is really going to be refreshing to catch up on all kinds of films..

3. lillysen

lillysen New IL'ite

Hello Kalyani

Once again u did a great job opening a fantastic thread.

I love movies of all laungages..especially i like telugu movies..

I am much watcher of old telugu movies..like gorantaku, gundamma katha(will never forget the acting of suryakantham) i simply enjoy seeing the scenes of rajbabu,padmanabham,and all other comedy actors..

Present days sunil,brahmanandam, ali, and some others are doing gud.

will continue more in coming posts :)

4. Sirisha@Veda

Sirisha@Veda New IL'ite

Hi kalyani,

I logged in today to post something about the old golden days of telugu cinema when i found this thread.

I got introduced to the old era by my parents. In 15 years i guess i have seen almost all the big hits of those days like keelugurram, Missamma,Devadasu, Gundammakatha, Mangalya Balam, Malliswari, Kulagotralu, Bharyabharthalu, Illarikam, Velugu Needalu, Devata, Dr chakravarthy and so on and so forth.

I just love ANR-Savitri or ANR-Jamuna pair. I have seen each movie atleast 7 to 8 times and not even once I got bored.

I feel there is no comparison between telugu movies then and now. Some movies by Jandhyala, Bapu, Viswanath which came out in 80s and 90s were real gems and comparable to the old movies. Each movie had a different story to narrate and a different base to talk about.

The only themes our present directors seem to be getting are love, revenge, factionism filled with violence or skimpily clad heroines and vamps. So boring!!!

Ofcourse we should not forget Shekhar kammula who gave good movies like Anand, Godavari and Happy Days. He is the best of the lot I feel.

No comedian can ever come close to the trio Relangi, Ramana reddy and Suryakantham. Bramhanadam, suttivelu, veerabhadra rao, srilakshmi were really good in their days. But now even their comedy lacks luster.

The music and lyrics were amazing and great. I read some where that after listening to this song "kalakanidhi viluvainadhi Brathuku kanniti Dharalalone balicheyyaku" from the movie Velugu Needalu, a person at the verge of committing suicide thought of giving life a second chance. Such was the sahithyam then, thought provoking and motivating.

These days I hardly get to hear a good song. Very few are good but those are not that great to be remembered for life time.

I sometimes long for more black and white movies which portrayed human relations and emotions in a very beautiful way, which treated a heroine as one of the main characters of the movie and not as love interest of our macho hero.

I was born in 1981 and still I talk about the movies made in 50s and 60s (when my parents were very young). Can we expect our children to do the same about the movies which are being made now. I think its just a dream.

Sirisha

5. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Sirisha , you are right.I don't think any of the channels now telecast those old movies.Most of movies shown on channels now belong to the 90s , 2000 era.

6. archu1981

archu1981 Silver IL'ite

hai frnds,
    i also like old movies like paathalabhairavi,keelugurram etc.,
    specially vittalacharya movies..my dad is having huge collection of old movies......

7. KalyaniBhaskar

Welcome Sabitha, Lilly, Sirisha and Archana. Thanks for your encouraging words and compliments.

Sirisha, what a coincidence! You wanted to post and found this thread. I feel really happy to note that you have come here.

I too got introduced to Telugu Movies first by my mother. My father used mention a few good Telugu movies. I had a good friend who used to collect the cinema news from a magazine called “Vijayachitra”. I suppose some might remember that. She used to tell me a lot.

All the movies that you have mentioned are golden ones and were great hits. I enjoyed Gundamma katha a lot. Every one has acted well but Ramana Reddy’s style invokes lot of fun. In fact I had learnt some of the dialogues by heart J. Likewise other movies like Mayabazaar, pathalabhairavi, narthanshala, etc..

Telugu movies encompass social, historical and mythological movies.

Well the first telugu movie was Bhakta Prahlada in 1931 by H.M. Reddy. One of the pioneers of telugu cinema. He worked as assistant to Ardheshir Irani who brought out the first Indian Talkie Alam Ara in 1921. Reddy came out with Bhakta Prahlada with Irani’s help.

More about it later..

One again I thank all of you and welcome you for active participation to enjoy the feast of golden movies.

FYI, I have started a thread on Telugu Peddalu in AP forum. Please take a look at it.

With love
    kalyani

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Kalyani ,

Gundamma Katha is a blockbuster in todays words.Suryakantham delivered memorable performance and the characters were so appealing.

I love Savithra in the movie Mayabazaar especially the song 'aha na pelli anta'.Her exemplary acting is laudable.

What can be said about the comedy duo Relangi and Ramana Reddy.The comedy was enjoyable with no references to obscenity or lewd remarks.I feel the comedy has deterioted in early 90s and for some reason the film makers felt that there has to be sexual innuendos when it comes to comedy corrupting it from the pristine form we have seen in earlier movies.

Aha , I didn't know that Bhaktha Prahlada is the first Telugu movie.Thanks for the info, Kalyani ..this thread rocks and I 'm loving it..

9. KalyaniBhaskar

Hi All,

I got this poster of the first telugu movie. How they have announced the shows. Take a look at it.

Bhakta Prahlada
    Banner: Bharat Movietone
    Cast: Surabhi Kamalabai, L.V. Prasad,
    Munipalle Subbaiah, B.V. Subba Rao, Darasami
    Naidu, Master Kishore.
    Director: H.M. Reddy
    Music: H.R. Padmanabha Sastry
    Story & Screenplay: Surabhi Nataka
    Lyrics: Gordhanbhai Patel

Attached Files:

10. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Kalyani ,

Thanks for posting the poster though I am still wondering where did you get the relic from ???

It is so simple and straightforward the advertising of movies in those days ..am sure now even the theater and plays have huge adverstising campaigns.