1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

PiKU - motion se hi emotion

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Trupti12, May 15, 2015.

1. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

I am very picky about what movies to watch in the theatre. Not all of them qualify to be watched in a cinema hall. I think people confer an honour on a movie when they go all the way to a theatre to watch it rather than download it from the internet and watch it on their laptops.

With uplifting music that makes you want to go on a wind-in-my-hair road trip and you throw together some of the best actors of Bollywood - Irfan Khan, Amitabh Bachchan and Deepika Padukone (her being the newest addition to this elite club), I knew I absolutely had to watch this movie in the theatre.

Who knew that the events of everyday life set against the background of constipation would turn into a giggly-delight rather than disgusting? Every mention of motions and all its forms and appearances in Piku will have you in fits of laughter! Right from the first scene of the movie, you will relate to it because it has the same simple elements as our lives without the glitzy, material and commercial formula of other movies where everything seems surreal. You will also relate to it because Piku is the perfect representation of the saying, "No family is perfect."

Bhaskor Bannerjee's (Amitabh Bachchan) obsession with his chronic constipation borders on the hypochondria and is a fresh kind of humour dose. His views on feminism and marriage have an entirely different perspective which makes you think. It is quite surprising for a man who hails from an era where women were subjugated. That is the reason why you will still love this difficult character. The greatest feat of Amitabh in this movie is that you see no trace of Amitabh Bachchan in Bhaskor Bannerjee.

Irfan is an actor par excellence, there are no doubts about that. He has some great lines and his deadpan delivery of them makes them all the more funny. His character gels with Bhaskor and Piku extremely well.

Deepika has been on a roll since Cocktail and she has made yet another excellent pick by playing Piku. Piku is the frustrated daughter who tolerates her father's selfishness and whose life revolves around his constipation, which inevitably comes in the way of her having any sort of a love life. She is a smart professional and a control-freak. Most of all, she is a liberated woman, courtesy of her liberal father's upbringing, and she is unabashed about her sex life existing purely on a need-basis. This is yet another bold theme in this movie. Deepika makes you proud yet again with her excellent portrayal of Piku and continues to hone her skills.

Notable in the movie is Maushumi Chatterjee's performance as the typical maasi in every family. Her presence in the movie keeps the funny bone tickled. She is only one who parrys with Bhaskor's snide remarks successfully.

I rate this movie 4.5 out of 5 for it's progressive thought, intuitive writing and authentic depiction of a typical Indian family. All in all, the wholesome feel of this Shoojit Sircar movie will warm the cockles of your heart and you will leave the theatre with a homely-smile on your face.

8 people like this.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the review!!
    Even I heard that movie is good.
    Will try to watch soon....

3. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the review.Going to watch it.

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Will watch soon..Thanks Op.

5. Tiara

Tiara New IL'ite

Piku is one of the best movie I have ever seen..Constipation is the biggest problem of old age people in today's world..Director have portrait very well with humour and emotions.Amitabh bachan acting was spectacular in the movie and deepika best acting till now..loved the movie..

1 person likes this.
  6. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Saw the movie in theatre today. Who would have thought there could be a movie revolving around 'motion'! Excellent casting and superb performances by all the lead actors.

No wonder Amitabh Bachchan is still a busy actor even today! He has adopted so well to today's movies , playing supporting characters perfectly.

Deepika has done an excellent job. She steals the show.

I thoroughly enjoyed this feel good movie.

2 people like this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I too have heard about Piku and was planning to go see it soon.

However I am quite dismayed on reading this review. Nothing wrong with the review itself -- it is well written and has not given away much but folks is this movie like 'Delhi Belly'? The soundtrack of DB was simply atrocious and, to tell the truth, I could not even finish watching that one and midway through it, I threw away the cd to avoid watching it even accidentally!

Please let me know if this movie is like Delhi Belly in the 'motion' aspect, only that, no other details or spoilers please, If so, I will save my time and money and avoid watching it. Thanks in advance!

8. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

Wow @Trupti12...you write so well..

Piku is funny movie....

1 person likes this.
  9. MyselfandI

MyselfandI Silver IL'ite

Not bad, good performance by the lead actors

10. Trupti12

Trupti12 Silver IL'ite

@puni88, @varhem, @yellowmango,

I hope you guys have watched Piku and liked this movie! I strongly recommend this movie as a family watch.