1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best Movie Endings in Tamil Movies ( and Openings )

Discussion in 'Movies' started by FromMars, Jul 1, 2014.

1. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Uyire didn't work for me at all. Lot of Maniratnam movies were a pale shadow of his initial ones. Uyire didn't even have its moments, according to me.

I somehow felt the Mouna Raagam ending was forced. Its funny how different people notice different things with the ending.

* spoiler ahead in case you are this rare soul who didn't watch this movie.

In the end when Mohan carries Revathi and walks, I question, on what is going to happen to her suitcase which Mohan was careful enough to get it off the train but not from the side of the tracks.

My brother was more interested to know why no one charged them the fine for pulling the train chain.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    4 people like this.
  2. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Much like pizza, there are certain movie which have a twist somewhere in the movie after which its direction changes. Whatever we know until then, takes a new meaning.

Bhagyaraj is truly awesome with misdirection. Watch his:

1. Vidiyum varai kathiru. a taut screenplay, keeps you guessing on what is next, until the twist.

2. Pavunu pavunudhaan: there are many clues on what is ahead but you miss all of them and in hind sight, it seemed so obvious.

3. Veetla visheshanga: The ending was a surprise for sure, though a bit convoluted.

4. Avsara police 100:the movie didn't do well and I didn't like it in the first viewing. but when I watched it years later, I couldn't believe the genius of Bhagyaraj.

MGR gave him a couple of scenes from his old movie and Bhagyaraj made a movie surrounding it. It was a typical masala movie with Bhagyraj's kind of humor, double acting and the confustion surrounding it, the revenge theme and so on. When the ending finally arrives, it is kind of obvious, but still a well made movie.

5. Rasukutty: The twist in the middle of the movie was too good.

6. Sundara Kandam: Again an ending which comes out of the blue. Fun movie though

3 people like this.
  3. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I too felt the same way about Uyire and had the same doubts about mouna ragam. But then, the railway station climax can be seen in many movies and every time I think what will happen to their luggages. But I love that movie anyway (mouna ragam) and most of manirathnam's initial movies. Alaipayuthaey is the last of his movies that I liked.

4. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Lol Gals,
    Sorry for deviating from the topic.. What I meant to say is climax at Railway station/bus stop has become a Movie cliche.. But while saying that I got reminded of Mouna Ragam and I like everything about Mouna Raagam, though the there was numerous Qs running in the back of the mind, like why he had to get into the same train risking his life, instead go to next station n pick her up or go to Chennai n take her safely...
    Mouna Raagam should be the last movie discussed in this thread.. :p
    And about Uyire, I think we are discussing only the "endings". Any movie which shows the hero(here heroine) being a terrorist will show that he is refined and has started living Gandhi way dramatically.. But this movie tried to tell the fact that its not easy to come out of terrorism and ultimately can't escape a pathetic ending..

2 people like this.
  5. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Another movie with a different ending... Idhaya Kovil.. Generally in movies which has two heroines and one hero, conveniently they will kill a heroine.. In this both the heroines will be die and hero will keep flowers in both the samaadhis.. :-D It wasn't a good ending..

2 people like this.
  6. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting topic.

Even with a mediocre movie with the fabulous ending we come out of the theatre feeling touched. One such movie was Kuselan. Apart from seeing Rajinikanth in the scenes here and there, and Pasupathy's acting, there's nothing to keep the movie interesting. But finally Rajinikanth's speech about his childhood friend, made me cry, and when I came out of the theatre I saw many women with misty eyes.

As you said FromMars, I like Bhagyaraj movies. He is really brilliant. Almost all his movies have an interesting opening. He starts the movie with a joke or a very touching scene.

Thullaadha Manamum Thullum :- Movie starts with Vijay released from jail. Nice opening, it keeps us guessing what did he do, and the ending was very emotional too.

Gopura Vaasaliley - The friends trifle with Karthik. Really unexpected ending.

Stories with 2 heroines/heroes that leaves us guessing till the end who the hero/heroine will choose? Like Kizhakku Vaasal, which leaves as both pleased for one heroine, and sad for another, and this is one such movie that makes us wish, 'please take both..' ; and there's 'Poovey Unakkaaga' making us wait eagerly for the
    ending to see if Vijay takes Sangeetha's hand; then 'Idhaya Thaamarai' - will Revathy accept karthik's love and leave Nizhalgal Ravi?

There's this concept of what hero does for living? Chinna Mappillai, has hilarious movie opening. He dreams himself like a handsome man with many girls chasing him, when actually he is a Coolie and struggles to find a woman to marry. And then this serious movie, Kadamai Kanniyam Kattupaadu. This one is my most favorite movie of Satyaraj, IMO he is one of the South Indian actors who is capable of doing any role that's given to him. Police Officer fits him best. From the opening where his character is shown as a dejected police officer, who generally carries hate for most people around, the movie promises a well-crafted story and the promise was kept till the end.

There are lots more to add, I will come back later.

3 people like this.
  7. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Anu, I havent watch the movie, But reading the ending I am :biglaugh

2 people like this.
  8. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

I don't know if you call Mouna Ragam a chick flick. Isn't it the dream of every girl that her man comes tearing the barriers apart in a horse and swoops her off her feet. Maybe this was Mani's version. What is the fun in making the next train reservation after a few days, reaching after a week and saying, Ya, I guess I love you too. Lets go home.

At least Mani couldn't fool me with the above dramatization. The man who really fooled me was Balu Mahendra. Is Moondram Pirai a cult movie with a cult ending?

Sure kamal could have taken the next train and explained Sridevi how he took care of her and how he fell in love in the process and where he found her and so on. But NOOOO...... The dude wants us to cry. He wants to do the monkey dance and roll all over the railway station and sridevi throws money at him. Boy did he tear our hearts apart in that most amazing climax ever. Kamal was awesome!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    4 people like this.
  9. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Nice Thread!!

Same pinch.....friendssmiley...But if it would have happened in that way it wont be a movie...especially a tamil movie...:mrgreen:...But this guy really make us cry...

About Bhagyaraj, he is a total entertainer...I like all of his movies though he mix up some unwanted things in between(drumstick,theater scene in thavani kanavugal etc)....brilliant writer...

coming to our topic, for me, one of the best ending is Mozhi..No chasing,no railway station,nothing doing..the film simply ends in a church , in a casual way...My very fav movie...I love Jyothika in that movie...Especially the scene , when Prithivi goes to her room and talk to her....very touching scene...

Love track between Maddy and Simran in Kannaththil Muththamittal..Man...I really loved those sequences...especially the song,"Sattena nanaindhadhu"....:wink:

the list goes....

8 people like this.
  10. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

I haven't seen thulladha manamum thullum. I am not a fan of Vijay but much to my surprise I like all of his movies where he shows himself as vulnerable. Poove Unakaga, Kaavan and Kaadhalukku Mariyadhai. This is genre which he would do good to hold on to.Not sure if Thulladha Manamum Thullum falls in this category.

Gopura Vasaliley was a big let down for me. Though I don't know Malayalam, I was a big fan of Priyadarshan comedies like Kilukkam, Chitram, Vandanam. I had high hopes and it somehow didn't work but for the songs.

Satyaraj was ruling the roost those days and his movies were unique and refreshing. Movies like Makkal Yen Pakkam, Kadamai Ganniyam Kattupadu, Mudhal Vasantham, Vidinja Kalyanam. As he shined as a villan, he could be any character without the image barrier. Too bad he didn't stay this way for long.

Among other endings, Puriyadha Puthir worked very well mainly because Raghuvaran was all over the movie that you couldn't take your eyes of him.