1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Song from Rani's new movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by foxybeat, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Barnowl

Barnowl Gold IL'ite

Umm.. Rani who to aiyyo rani.. She got what she wanted. 10 mts of fame.
    Despite all this nautanki, she's probably gonna sink like a stone.

Move on, rani, you're done. Agla item?

2. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Looked like it was kind a comedy song! Is that the context of the song !
    [​IMG]
    Somehow could not enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  3. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

The song from Aiyya - I hate it as much as I hate Kolaveri Di, Chikni Chameli, Ooh la la, etc, etc.... But then its my personal choice....I am not fond of fast paced music and meaningless lyrics but then there is an audience for that kind of art and I guess that is what film-makers are catering to - sterotyping and media responsibility go to hell!
    That apart do I think the song is offensive - yes, very much I think it is offensive and vulgar, does it depict South Indians in a bad light - I did not think of it when I saw the song first, but after reading all the posts I have realized that some folks could find it offensive and so I went back and watched the song and yes, I felt it was offensive to South Indian culture.
    However, I find Russel Peters also very offensive and crude - his so called jokes reeks of "colonial attitude," the generation that he makes fun of migrated to foreign countries amid great hostility and racism. I was once talking to a cab driver in NYC and he told me how upset he gets when Russel Peters makes fun of Punjabi immigrants and their parenting, because it reminds him of some painful experiences that he faced when he was raising his children in a very white neighborhood. A similar story was told me about Peters by a friend of mine who said that after attending a Peters show, her boss asked her if she caned her son, and if that is why Indian children were "submissive." Yes, different folks find different things to be sensitive and we are living in a materialistic world where creative responsibility has gone for a toss.
    Similarly I think Kolaveri Di - is a sexist song written by an MCP, that is my opinion it does not appeal to my sensibility. We all have different sensibilities and I think when creative people take creative licenses they need to keep in mind how their songs stereotype people of a certain race, religion, caste, creed and sex. I think media personalities need to take more responsibilities and not just do things to make money, but who is going to listen to me.
    I also find it offensive when South Indian films portray girls from big cities as "easily available," I lived and studied in Kerala and the most common comment I got was that I am not at all like the Bombay and Delhi girls they show in movies.
    And to my dear friend Pallavi4me I am so on you with The Dirty Picture - I love Vidya Balan and went to watch this movie because I wanted to see the human side of Silk Smitha. However, watching that movie was the most embarrassing experience of my life and I don't get embarrassed very easily. I watched it in a movie hall in the US, and most of the audience were south Indians, mostly educated folk but the comments they passed during the movie I cannot write it in here. The wolf whistles, double meaning jokes they cracked made me feel so bad....I felt the movie only commercialized Silk Smitha's life, I am sure that there is more to her life than her just being a sex symbol or a fame seeker. I felt so hurt that this is what her life had been reduced to....They said that it was a tribute to her but that is not how it was presented...What makes it more tragic is that she is not alive to tell her end of the story.
    On the contrary, there was an english movie made on the life of Marilyn Monroe, who was probably more controversial than silk but watching that movie one can see the pain of Marilyn and feel her tragedy...
    With that I end my soap box and rant....

4 people like this.
  4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Arch1209,

Thanks for your feedback and loved reading it..

5. itsjustme

itsjustme Silver IL'ite

Arch, that's exactly what is happening.. Being aware of both cultures, i guess your version will be taken in the right sense.. I think The song has vulgar lyrics and In no way can be termed as a nice performance by Rani and Prithvi... But the beats is very energetic like someone pointed out and I can't stop humming it:bonk... I ws also giving a very neutral opinion as I get comments like Pandi in Kerala and Omana in TN !!! Again this is the perception created by media..But who cares, as I enjoy both cultures!!! I guess the matter to be debated is not this song alone but this media created stereotypes. Of course, this song is an eye opener . That was my intent of saying that films from South India are equally to be blamed... Honestly, when Rani says she likes dark people, I thought that was a welcoming thought to break the color complex in most Indians,from south and north ..

And Dirty Picture, no way I can accept it as a tribute to Silk Smitha.. What you said is true. Urvasi had once written a very touching story about her in a Malayalam magazine, about how she would be disturbed by peeping toms even when she was using the restroom, and how the directors refused to give her a normal role... That was the kind of story I expected..

6. arcmppa

arcmppa Bronze IL'ite

song is very vulgar .....i didnt expect rani like this......

7. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rose...how are you? ...egjyactly...Rani looks hilarious absolutely ...LOL. short, plump energetic devil. she totally dominated everybody else in the song, everybody else fades away........@ 1:04 in the song.......see her expression totally LOL. :rotfl

that p.s line stuck in my mind like a bug........am trianing somebody while my mind goes.....shakepum. hahahaha.