1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Song from Rani's new movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by foxybeat, Sep 18, 2012.

1. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

i think that was the idea. hamming.

2. itsjustme

itsjustme Silver IL'ite

I saw the song.. well , it was funny,can take it as a joke...

Well, how many of you ladies like slumdog millionaire, and forward sardarji jokes? come on ladies:) lets laugh out loud.. and i hope prithvi will be the next one to get into bollywood!

3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

I liked Slumdog Millionaire and no, I didn't think it was funny. I seriously don't see what's so funny or laugh-worthy in the sad lives of the kids living in slum areas.

On the other hand, forward Sardarji jokes are as lame as the Rajini jokes- they are distasteful and disgraceful and shows nothing but the insecurity of the original creators. Rani's song falls squarely on this line i.e. making fun of a certain community in the name of "comedy". And seriously, none of you found the lyrics and dance to be awful??

Face to faceum dharti putram
    Top to baseum kama sutram
    Thighsum thunderum downum underum
    Sizeum matterum thinkum wonderum
    Jumpingum… pumpingum…
    Throbbingum.. thumpingum..

I mean, come on, what the hell is this?? So, we are going to associate South/Tamil cinema with kama sutra, thunder thighs, jumping and pumping from now on?? Wonderful! Long live freedom of expression and bad jokes!:bang

14 people like this.
  4. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Awful dance, vulgar body language. Rani, you disappointed me.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

seriously, i thought it was just me who was feeling the too blatant vulgarity that hits you.

i did not expect amitabh bhattacharya to scribble something like this..

no rationalising the reason behind this attempt...

1 person likes this.
  6. itsjustme

itsjustme Silver IL'ite

No no no..Sofea..you got me wrong...I meant, if there are people who liked Slumdog millionaire which showed the negative shades of India, then why do they criticize this movie?

And I liked Slumdog millionaire, but I hated it when it won the Oscars, when movies like Lagaan weren't even considered.. If you remember, Salaam Bombay was the other movie that won the Oscar,which is even worse!

What I meant is, why r we getting so irritated when only we are being made fun of?
    I am against Sardar jokes as much as I am against showing Southern movies in this way:)

Oh yeah, the lyrics are pretty risque..........

Well as you pointed out, freedom of expression sometimes crosses the limits..

Well ,once I was at a temple in Trichy, and a girl asked me where I am from..I replied Kerala..
    And she went on, Oh so is it true that the state you are from, ladies just wear blouses and do not cover it with anything?

Well, isnt this how people from Kerala are being portrayed??

What to do!!!):)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

and somebody would start a spoof on the song

saying

very disgustum,
    romba brashtam
    your fateum,
    to seeum....
    disgustum

3 people like this.
  8. indukrishna

indukrishna New IL'ite

For some reason human beings find some saddistic satisfaction in sarcasm when it points to a different group/race/state/religion...etc. Western culture-Indian culture, North Indian-South Indian, Bengali-Bihari,
    marathi-punjabi,keralite-tamilian,telugu-kannada,black-white,vegetarian-non-vegetarian,rajni fans-kamal fans....................it is a long list. Mostly the creators don't know the entire picture of the other group, so they try to project just one point for their own reasons. The viewers who are totally ignorant, just blindly believe it.

Ultimately, by this song, the north indian viewers will think that all tamil movies are made in this form DOT

1 person likes this.
  9. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Itsjustme, there's a huge difference between showing the reality that happens in a community and making fun of a certain community. Slumdog Millionaire showed the negative shades of India, yes, but Boyle or Vikas Swarup (the author of the book) were not making fun of the slum areas or the lives of the people there. They in fact, tried to depict the reality of the people living there- child prostitution, child beggars, racial riots etc are still apparent in these areas right?

We know they exist and we still don't do anything about it. Now, that's shameful. Having a film made based on this issue should be an eye-opener for us and push us to address this issue at the very least. Instead, all that we do is crib about how some westeners showed the bad side of India to the world.

Now, Aiyyaa can hardly be let to share the same platform as Slumdog Millionaire. What realism that they are trying to show here? A Marathi girl says, "I don't like fair guys, I like dark ones instead" and then she zooms on Prithvi, a Tamil guy (who is supposedly dark for Bollywood standard??). And on top of that they have a deplorable song like this where they make South Indian look filthy and vulgar? Seriously what Bollywood leading actress Katrina did in Chikni Chameli is far worse than what Silk Smitha and Disco Shanthi did in the 80's. So why not they make fun of themselves first before trying to look down at us?

P.S: Itsjustme, my above-said statement are not targetted at you. I'm just furious at this song and tired of having some Bollywood actors looking down at the South like we are some downgraded products.

P.P.S: Salaam Bombay was nominated for Oscars, but it didn't win the award. Again, I don't find anything revolting about the film. Like SdM, Salaam Bombay too was a realistic potrayal of the neglected people in India.

6 people like this.
  10. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

We should boycott this movie.

1 person likes this.