Investing in Stock - discussions?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by shalini, Nov 20, 2005.

1. shalini

shalini New IL'ite

Does anyone here invest in stocks? In many families, husbands take care of investing and wifes know very little of it. On the other hand, there are families - like ours - where we jointly discuss and decide on what shares to buy and sell.

So, I was wondering if we can have a thread where we can chat about our approach to investing, share tips of how we think about shares etc. Who knows... some husbands also can come and chat here about investing!

Shalini

2. jignasha

jignasha New IL'ite

stock

i am learning about stock my husband wants me to learn so i can buy and sell. when ever he tells me to buy then i buy and sell we order ibd news paper and we do kind reserch and we look for graph which shows cup with handle then it is time to buy then it means that stock will break out. thanks let me now if you have any tips.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  3. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Stocks and Shares!

Hello , this is really a wonderful and a useful thread! Well,am a housewife too, who just planning to trade in shares, i also dunno much about it, but am sure there will be some experienced ppl who will join and help us out on that! Guess we need to watch CNBC quite often

Regards,
    Purnima

4. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Hi all

To trade in shares, u need the following -

1) Interest in that area.
    2) Money
    3) Reading and observation habit (willingness to learn)

I think initially u can go through a broker to understand and get tip from him itself for eg., u have integrated enterprises etc., who are share brokers. You would be required to open a demat account and trade through that.Also you should first understand and be clear as to whatz ur requirement .....whether u want to invest in the blue chip companies or ur looking out for quick earnings.......how much risk u r ready to take...........etc......

5. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

More Info!

HI AGR,

Thank u veru much for the help. We sure need money and willingness to learn which i guess ppl chatting in this topic maybe having at least to some extent. In order to choose a mutual fund dealer- say for instance integrated enterprises, sharekhan etc, wat do u think are the main factors, i mean do we need to look into any of their documents, how can we rate their overall performances, and what would be the ideal kind of deposits for begginners? Making quick short profits or long term, slow , big profits??

Thanks,
    Purnima

6. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Re:Investing in Mutual Funds

Hi Purnima

Having decided to go into MF.....you can choose anyone as agent. For eg., everybody knows about integrated, Bajaj capital services etc., They are only intermediaries.For MF u dont need any demat account. Frequently MF of different companies are coming out. You can take the newspaper which gives the NAV value of different MF.Some Schemes would be equity based, some would be debenture, some only govt bonds and some a combination of all these things........You choose some 5 MF and watch the quote for 2 months.......then u will know how they perform..........Some of the top MF's are Franklin templeton, Reliance, HDFC....at prsent these are the top 3 of course the rates will depend on the secondary market fluctuations.........but still they have been performing consistently and are giving atleast 20% return in say 6 months which is damn good......other MFs are ICICI prudential, Fidelity, SBI, Canbank etc...which are also good.Infact now fidelity has come out with a scheme closing date for which 15th Jan. People say that it would be a good investment.....it is a tax saving bond i.e. it can be used as investment u/s 80C of the IT Act and has alock in period of 3 years ....... For beginners these type of safe investment would be ideal and if you want quick return u should deal with shares......... Hope I had not been 2 boring on this subject........Anyway all the best.........

2 people like this.
  7. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Hello!

Hello AGR,

Thank you very much for giving me this wonderful start up. i shall look into it and give u the feedback and catch u for more doubts! :)

Once again thank u very much!

Purnima

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  8. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

easy way to learn

Hi friends,

My husband also wans me to learn buyin n sellin of stocks.He does it for few yrs now but he is very bad teacher. i dont understand anything what he teaches me n we end up havin a big fight :oops: :bang.but i had interest of learning it alot.Even he opened my demat account n deposited to had a start.But i m too conscious n lack of confidence of startin it yet.

Can anybody suggest me some books for beginners or some sites or some good advice to have good start.Or is there any easy way to learn stock market???

Thanks in advance friends

Sonu

9. DSK

DSK New IL'ite

I have been trading in Indian stocks for sometime now... Basically tehre are two types of ppl in stock market- 1. Trader 2. Investor. Traders are more interested in short-trerm profits & Investors look at long term gains. One can also have a portfolio with a mix of both.

Traders usually do technical analysis to decide on stocks that'll go up in the short term. Fundamental analysis is more to learn abt the long-term prospects of the company. One needs to looks into the general market first & they go on to select companies with good profile in that indutry. If one wants to invest/trade in stocks, one needs to know atleast to basically understand the financial statements of the company, read a lot about general economic conditions & also calculation of ratios is recommeded before deciding on buying a stock. One can decide on their portfolio depending on their needs,like one can have 30% in investment stocks & 70 in trading or vice versa or any other combi. It also depends on the risk one is prepared to take. I'll write more about rato analysis & stuff if ppl here r interested in it...
    D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

many would love to have a guide....

dear dsk,
    i think if u can help with ur knowledge of what to buy and when to sell for sometime many will pick up and then it would become a business thread here....i know and understand the risk has to be taken....but ur guidance and a little help should build up this thread for many a novice who want to start small and then get the taste of it to go ahead and invest a little more....pl do advise with whatever u feel is to be given for beginners in this field...regards sunkan