Please advice.

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by godsgrace, Jan 20, 2015.

1. godsgrace

godsgrace Bronze IL'ite

I am married for 12 years. I am SAHM. Me and my husband don't have any joint account. We are currently living abroad.

Before moving to other country, my H gave the power of attorney to my FIL. Most of my H's accounts are in joint with FIL. I am worried that, God forbid if anything happens to my H, what will happen to me and my children. Me and my FIL are not in good relation. My H says not to worry.He trusts his father, But I know, he is very unreliable person. But sometimes I get so worried. Please advice. Can my FIL take advantage of this power of attorney if anything happens to my H.

2. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I think after marriage it is the spouse who should be responsible for all this!
    You should post this in the relationship forum because it falls more in that category and you will get better suggestions!

3. godsgrace

godsgrace Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Weasly.. will do the same.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Godsgrace i don't know if the power of attorney is a general one or specific one. there have been lot of changes to the validity of a gpa today. if it is property, you cannot sell or transfer on the basis of just power of attorney.

REgarding bank accounts, you are supposed to provide a nominee to the accounts.
    in case of a nre account your fil will only be a signing authority and not joint account holder. next time you are in india, ask your husband to just add you as the nominee to all these accounts.

just tell him, it would give you peace of mind and legalities are taken care of.

with the facilities of internet banking you can always restrict the amount that goes into the joint accounts. you can do your deposits on your own, and most times the problem arises when the person working abroad gets lured by that .5% -1% that the senior citizen gets.

Get the details of all the accounts and ask your husband to share all the details with you.

1 person likes this.