Parents visit to US

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Prp, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Prp

Prp New IL'ite

Hi,

What are the things to be done/kept in mind while inviting elderly parents and in laws to US, esp first time international travellers? How to make them physically/mentally prepared for long flights and to make their travel and stay comfortable?

2. lalithabrahma

lalithabrahma Bronze IL'ite

I am not sure about how much information you already have. Some of these may be basic to you, but I will give my two cents here...
    1. Make sure that they have obtained medical Insurance from India
    2. Ask them to carry medicine supplies for 3-4 months more than their end of stay in US.
    3. Ask them to have plenty of fluids in the flight.
    4. Request Wheel chair facility at the airport and it works like a charm!
    5. Ask them to carry dry snacks like badams/methi thepla etc they come in handy, if they don't like plane food.

3. MahaB13

MahaB13 Gold IL'ite

One more suggestion would be to take aspirin (please consult with doctor) starting couple of days before travel. Send compression socks, and also ask them to walk every couple of hours inside the flight.

4. Prp

Prp New IL'ite

Thank u so much both of u! If I have any more questions later,will have to bother u again.!

5. lalithabrahma

lalithabrahma Bronze IL'ite

Useful additions Maha!

6. sunita1211

sunita1211 Silver IL'ite

7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Ask them to bring some ear plugs/cotton(in case the airlines run out of them) to handle the changing air pressure. Send them templates for the i 94 and customs declarations forms, so that they are familiar with filling up the forms. Let them bring some cash/coins in case they need to buy biscuits or water at the airport transit. They should memorize the destination address, phone number, important contacts etc. Carry all the prescribed medicines, general medicines, sweater or shawl(it might get really cold after sometime), socks, tooth brush and paste, other items to freshen up and an extra set of dress(in case of flight delays or lost baggage), extra pair of glasses(if needed) and some food like cookies etc. As other ilite suggested, make use of the wheel chair assistance. Parents need not actually sit in the wheel chair if not comfortable and in that case will be transported using a smart car. Also, in case they are vegetarians and the airlines run out of vegetarian(happens a lot of times), they can ask for bread/bun and butter, yogurt, fruit cups(part of most other meal plans).

Good Luck and wishing them a safe, pleasant flight.