Does anyone think real estate market in India will crash soon?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by ProudIndian, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Hello All

I want to know if real estate market which is on peak (housing bubble) rignt now can crash in near future? Prices in metro cities are out of reach from middle class indian people. How builders are holding high prices so far? will it crash like U.S. real estate market? I am willing to buy flat in Indian metro city but can't make up decision. Please advise.

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

The closest thing to real estate bubble burst in metors is prices stagnating. Beyond that not much correction in prices is going to happen, especially in metros.

With lot of people moving to metros for better job opportunities, properties in metros and even their suburbs are priced very high. The best bet is to invest in a fast growing suburb where there are chances of connectivity improving in near future.

How the builders are able to hold the prices or even sell their properties for a premium even during recession? Well, the answer is a well-known secret: Black money.

3. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Thanks Orion80. I am hearing from different people prices will come down in India and China. Economic downturn in India and China has started etc. I am confused.

4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

The same was said in 2009 when we were facing the heat of downturn. Did the prices come down then? Not really, they were just stagnant for few months. As soon as the recession fears ended, the prices soared again.

The prices might drop for places which are very far away from the cities and have risen due to the expectations of the people. But within the cities and the suburbs, you will just see price stagnation. One more word of caution: there would be few apartments which are in construction pahse which might offer discounts during that time but make the quality of construction and fittings suffers. So take someone along who can assess the quality of construction.

Btw, where are you planning to purchase? Are you planning to go for land or apartment?

5. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Thanks Orion80. I am thinking to buy apartment in suburbs of Mumbai. Can't make up mind wether to wait for 1-2 years or invest right now. Any advice?

6. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Mumbai is the financial capital of our country. It is a great place to invest.

I would suggest to start searching now. It would take atleast 1-2 months for you to find the place you are looking for. By that time, the fears of recession or slowdown would be even more high and you will have good negotiating advantage. Mid-next year will be the optimum time.

7. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Thanks Orion. Will start looking now. Just one fear is there any chance prices will come down in next couple of years like u.s.? Because there are roumers like many flats are empty, no buyers in market, builders and banks are bank corrupt like u.s. economy so market will crash etc etc. I am coufused to take steps.....but I am still looking

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

With 1.2 billion people in the country and the land mass not growing, realestate crash is highly unlikely.
    However make sure you are not investing in hyped projects: ex:there is an approval for a new ring road which will come in next 5-6 years. So hurry and buy xyz properties now which is in middle of nowhere. Such projects are HUGE risks. If you opt for an apartment in a growing suburb, you can be assured that you will not face such a crash.

In India, when some banks asked PM Manmohan Singh for permission to lend to sub-prime lenders, he put his foot down saying that Inidan economy is not ready for it yet. And after the US economy crash, i dont think banks will jump into sub-prime lending in a hurry :)

9. martinmaria18

martinmaria18 New IL'ite

I am sure real estate price will never drop in cities, as an customer i have been keenly watching real estate changes it has been goes on moving to top position, no land or apartments price drops even real estate market drops. Real estate agent are enjoying because of demand, they are not ready to reduce the price even over all real estate price drops

As an NRI i like to get better idea about builders in Chennai, i like to buy a Apartments near OMR, could any body here suggest me some good real estate companies they should give me current market rate and non-issue Apartments projects, and suggest me how good the CasaGrande Apartments in OMR (linked for your reference). Perumbakkam Project, where i found this project in my G search

10. RuthuVetha

RuthuVetha Junior IL'ite

Hi,

OMR is a very good place for real estate investment. Even I have been looking there for some time now. We have just parked off the idea for a couple of years more and keeping our fingers crossed for the rates to not increase very high. What's the kind of budget that you are looking at? Will come back with the project feedback soon.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012