To make good idly

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sathiapriya, Apr 25, 2007.

1. sathiapriya

sathiapriya New IL'ite

Idly rice : 5 cups
    urad dal : 1 cup
    methi seeds: 2 spoon

soak the rice for more than 6 hours,
    Iam telling about black sheel removed urad dal, clean the mud and dust ,
    wash it with water only once, soak it with the water and add methi seeds to it.
    keep inside the fridge, (this can be kept for 3 hours) dont throw the water, because the water which we have applied for soaking , with that water only we are going to grind.
    First put the urad dal in grinder/mixie , grind it with ice cold water which we have used for soaking it. If it is a grinder allow it to gring for 20 min . Then remove the dal batter and put rice and grind , after grinding the rice , mix it together and add salt .Use rotation movement in ur hand to mix it. Beat the batter well. Keep overnight. nextday morning , u will get good idly.

bye
    sathiapriya:goodidea:

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sathiapriya,
    Thanks for the recipe.
    In US, I soak rice and urad dal together and grind them together aswell.
    Will there be any diff in taste??

Thanks,
    Punitha

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

my father in law been running a hotel and famous only for soft iddlis, now here only one difference, soak the urad dhall only for 20 minutes that is once u pinch it, it should break easily, like how we soak for medhu vadai, now first grind the urad and u will see it coming real fluffy, and soft no urad should be there, if u have a wet grinder grt, but in mixie u have to wait for sometime as the mixie gets very hot and will turn the urad dhall into reddish kind, so stop inbetween for a few seconds and run again untill u get the soft consistency, while grinding in mixie just add enough to the half level of the urad, u will find it rotating easily without strain and come out quite soft ...then grind the rice as usuala and mix both together add salt and leave it over night....hope been of help sunkan

4. sathiapriya

sathiapriya New IL'ite

hello Puni88

The answer for ur question is dont do that, ur idly will become very hard.To get a soft idly , follow the procedure what i have mentioned.Dont forget to keep urad dal in fridge grind with ice water. Try this and tell me.

bye
    sathiapriya:wave

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks!!
    I will follow the steps which you mentioned and I will let you know.

6. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi satyapriya
    what is idly rice?

can i use american long rice?
    basmati rice?

bye

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Huma,

One can get 'idli rice' in the Indian stores here. It is par -boiled rice, but from India. Not the par-boiled rice from the local stores. I am sure that you will be able to get them at your local Indian stores.

L, Kamla

8. Zeenth

Zeenth New IL'ite

doubt

Hi,

while going thru various threads of our members some say soaking urd dhal just for 20 mints is enough for soft idly but others say atleast 3 hrs.....lots of difference in time..... pl can anyone tell the exact time for soaking both b.rice & urd dhal......this confusion will be cleared........

Thanks...
    Zee

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear zee,
    make it one day the way i said, then another day the others said, that way u get a more confirmed result in hand. regards sunkan

10. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

Dear sunkan,
    thanx for ur idly recipe,i tried it as per suggestion,it came really well:2thumbsup: