House Made - Ready Made Powders To Make Cooking Easy

Discussion in 'Krishnaammas Kitchen' started by krishnaamma, Dec 11, 2006.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

What do you want to say? I cant understand your mails:idontgetit: Please explain to me.

2. ketal

ketal Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krishnamam

Pl.send to Kutchhi Dabeli Masala

Ketal

3. krishnaamma

Double Roti or Kutchi Dabeli.

Hi ketal,

Here is the recipe. enjoy.

For dabeli masala:
    1-2 red chillies (you can make it as spicy as you like)
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    1/2" stick cinnamon
    2 cloves
    1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
    For the filling :
    2 medium size potatoes, boiled and mashed
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
    a pinch of asafoetida
    2 teaspoons dabeli masala
    2 tablespoons peanuts
    1 tablespoon oil
    salt
    For assembly:
    5-6 ladi-pav/ burger buns
    1 onion, chopped fine
    1/4 cup sev
    garlic chutney & tamarind date chutney

For garnish:
    finely chopped coriander leaves
    a handful of pomegranate seeds (optional)

Roast masala ingredients in a pan for a few minutes taking care not to burn them. Grind to a fine powder.

Heat oil in a pan and fry peanuts till they turn light brown. Remove and keep aside. Next add cumin seeds; when they splutter add asafoetida, dabeli masala, potatoes, salt and a little water. Toss in the peanuts and mix everything well. Remove from fire.

Slice buns into halves and toast them with a little butter on a griddle. Apply garlic chutney on one side, tamarind chutney on the other side of the bun. Place a portion of the potato filling in between.

Top with chopped onion, coriander leaves and sev. Press down, garnish with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately.

(adapted from a recipe by Tarla Dalal)

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hello Krishnaamma,

Its me here again :)

I am running short of sambar powder. When I came from India my mom-in-law had given around 2kgs of sambar powder. It tastes simply too good. I adore her cooking. Everything she makes is tasty.

But now it is getting over. I was going through your recipes to find how to make sambar powder without our chennai sunlight for drying the ingredients and no flour mill here in finland.(there is hardly sunlight, so please provide some of your great tips for workaround)
    I have a small mixer got from India.

I got your rasam recipe for making it with mixer grinder. But can you help me out with sambar powder.

My mom is coming in Jan, so another 2 months to go for Sambar powder to come.

5. krishnaamma

Hai,

No problem . Here is the recipe to make sambar with out sambar powder.

Go through this. Sambar without Sambar Powder

Sambar varities

you can make 'arachuvitta sambar, malabar sambar etc., with out sambar powder. If you go through the index you will come to know about them.

How are you feeling today? Have you prepared rasam?

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for enquiring. I feel good seeing your posts.

Yesterday also it wasnt kind of very good. But today I am much better. I woke up and made chapatis for myself (I shall update my day 2 trial in the other thread :) )
    and made morkootan for my husband's lunch.

I prepared rasam that day evening, we had it. It was good. I kept the remaining in fridge as I wanted to have it the next day and I was not in a good health and mood as well. When I went to take the rasam from fridge, I dropped the entire thing on the floor and on myself like abhishekam :eek:mg:
    So finally I landed up cleaning the floor, fridge and my dress is still in being soaked state...and the rasam not a drop was left over...
    Probably one of the bad days hehehehe..What to do...

I have tried chapati for 3 times since then and only thing is the middle portion is becoming thick. Can you tell me what could be going wrong? But its definitely better than before :)

I shall make arachuvitta sambar today let you know.

7. krishnaamma

Hi Pavithra,

I feel happy that you are feeling better today. I am sad about your rasam.:thumbsdown what to do it happenes.:-( If you are going to try 'arachuvitta sambar' with small onions, put some fried onions with the ingredients while you grind. It will give good smell to sambar.

Regarding your chappati, I think your rolling the chappati is problem. You can ask your mother to bring a 'chappati press' when she visits you. I told the same to lata also in that thread. You can make chappati easily by pressing it. Then you can slowly make it big disk. Once you know the trick of rolling the problem solved.

Because yesterday I saw you mail and understood how much you struggled. I think mixing the atta itself a good exercise for you.:-D Dont schold me just kidding. No problem oneday you will become 'chappati master'.:yes:

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Krishnaamma,

That seems a good idea. If I get that press, I can make faster chapatis also.

I know making the dough was a real exercise for me. However I want to get it right :spin

Thanks for that tip. I shall try arachuvitta sambar today.

9. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Paruppu Podi

We went Thirupathy recently.We ate at Bhima delux.They keep paruppu podi,gongura chatni,avakkai,and salt in seperate bowels on a thali in the table.My son in law was very keen to know the paruppu podi recipe.That has some different taste.I explained it for IL friends.
    The master gave the measurement.We can do as per our requirement.

Tuvar dhal 5 kg
    Kadalai dhal[bengalgram] 1 kg
    urud dhal 3/4 kg
    greengram dhal 1/4 kg
    fenugreek 100 g
    kaduku [mustard seed] 50 g
    red chilli 3/4 kg
    asafoetida big size
    garlic 1 pod
    salt

In the refind oil deep fry the red chillies.Keep aside.remove the extra oil from the kadai.
    in some oil fry tuvar dhal remove,Like wise oil fry each dhal seperatly.Oil fry Asafoetida
    garlic,fenugreek,mustard,garlic.Roast the salt also.Grind all as powder and mix with the oil removed after fried red chilli.Enjoy with rice.

10. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Re: Paruppu Podi

Hi mam

Paruppu Podi is part of my life and i will tryu to eat different parrupu podi's, my mom makes wonderful parru podi, i feel that is the best one and now-a-days i cahnged my mind, that WORLD'S MOST TASTIEST PARRUPODI IS PREPARED BY AMIKA APPALAM DEPOT - yes , mam, its yummy, very very tasty,romba nanarku,bahooth acha..............what not........( My opinion)

I will try this also..........

Thank u for sharing.