Virtual Feast - Comments

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Nandshyam, Sep 28, 2008.

1. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Kripa,

Thanks for the snacks plate. It kindled my fond momories over our Indian cakes. For some reason, I don't find any snacks, even ice creams, over here as tasty as their Indian counterparts.

There is a 50 year old bakery in my native. My friends, cousins and I die for their products. Their heart throbe is something called 'Japan cake'(a round shaped cake with crusty cashew nutty top and bottom with creamy filling and a dollop of sweet cocoa on the top)which was sold for Rs.1 in the beginning. Now, it is Rs.15 per piece, I think, or should be more.

Oviya,
    now it is Rs.19 per cake & it very nice also

Thanks you so much , kamala madam.

2. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ac..
    Do try this combo... its very good... potato must be favourite for all of us...

Oviya dear...
    YOu truly touched me i love that song recent time humming... you are always welcome...

Dear kamala...
    thank you... yup its srilankan food , mom used to make but i never tried now our chitvish is there for us...

3. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI friends...
    here is the receipe of Dum briyani (veg)

Dum briyani

2 glass basmati rice (soak rice)
    3 cloves
    2 small piece cinnamon
    2 cardamon
    ½ star shaped ( i dont know the name)
    1 bunch mint leaves
    4 medium size onion cut lengthy wise
    1 tomato medium size just cut into 4 pieces
    5 green chillies slit it
    1 spoon ginger garlic paste
    1 small onion cut long wise and keep separately
    ½ lemon juice
    ¼ spoon pepper powder

For marination
    2 spoon curd (thick fresh curd should not be sour)
    ½ spoon chilli powder
    Little turmeric powder more than a pinch
    ½ spoon briyani masala powder (optional any brand it really gives flavour)
    1 spoon ginger garlic paste
    1 small bowl veggie of your choice …
    Marinate all these and keep aside…

Preparation…
    • In a pressure cooker add atleast ¼ glass of oil (in that 50-50 can be oil and ghee for better taste) add that 1 onion fry nicely and keep it separately for topping…
    • now add the spices
    • add the remaining onion & chilli, mint leaves. onion has to be cooked nicely till it becomes golden brown..
    • add ginger garlic paste
    • add the marinated veggies…
    • along with the veggies add the tomato
    • let this all get mixed nicely… once the oil separates…
    • add water ( this is the proportion i use, 1 glass rice 1 ¼ glass water)
    • let it start boiling now add lemon juice and pepper
    • drain the soaked rice and add , please not mix or stir, with anything (so that rice wont broke)… once you add the rice just take the cooker and shake the cooker so that rice and all the masala will get mixed nicely…
    • immediately close the lid and put the weight…
    • just keep in medium flame for not more than 5 mins…
    • immediately transfer it to a hot ready tawa… keep this pressure cooker on top of that hot tawa… flame of the stove should be minimum… now this should stand for 15 mins…
    • after switching off once the pressure leaves you can open & do the toppings with fried onion and coriander you can even add fried cashews…
    (Btw: most of our friends seems to be veggie so i gave veggie version if anyone particularly need non-veg version let me know i'll post it... there wont be much changes other than masala quantity)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear Saikirpa...
    Thanks for sharing the Fil's b'day feast with us... missing those indian pastries...

dear apar ram
    Payasam looks yummy... noodules with manchurian is a great combo...

Dear pav
    pizza and topping looks nice... especially pulav with beetroot raitha looks very very colorful & tempting...

5. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Kirthika dear.
    Muti colored bell pulav and south indian veg kurma looks tempting...
    rava idli looks very nice and fluffy... it taste very nice rite... first time when i made i just cant beleive it when it came so soft... sure it must have tasted yummy with instant sambar...

6. Prem.S

Prem.S Silver IL'ite

Dear dear Vahee,
    Your Dum briyani looks very very tempting my dear , im drooling here seeing your briyani :drool:drool. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.
    idiyappam with sodhi, wow looks so palatable :thumbsup
    Potato roast is looking so heavenly :drool

Dear Krithika
    Pumpkin Sambar, Kovakkai roast curry, & MW Wheat Halwa everything looks delicious.
    Multi-coloured Bell Pepper Pulao, Vegetable Kurma & Rava Idlis with Instant sambar all looking super-o-super.

Dear Saikripa
    The Snaks plate looks very yummy. Hope your Fil had a great time. So sweet of you to arrange this for your Fil :):)

Dear Apar_ram
    Welcome to Virtual Feast. Pineapple sago payasam, gobi manchurian and veg noodles looks very nice.

Dear pav_3
    mini bagel pizza for breakfast looks so appetizing, i took my share. veg pulao with beet root raitha looks so rich and colorful :thumbsup

Love,
    Premsudha

7. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Dear Saikirpa...
    Thanks for sharing the Fil's b'day feast with us... missing those indian pastries...

Thanks vahee Dear ....

Dear Saikripa
    The Snaks plate looks very yummy. Hope your Fil had a great time. So sweet of you to arrange this for your Fil [​IMG][​IMG]

Yes of course , FIL had a great time.thanks sudha

8. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Many many thanks for the recipe, Vahee..

Apar, pavi and Krithi,

Enjoyed your goodies. Thanks for sharing.

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

vahee- the idiyappam looks excellent.I only had it after coming to tamil nad.Although never tried making it.you are just inspiring me to try it sometime!the potato bajji also looks very appetizing

apar ram- hello there! the gobi manchurian looks nice!so does the veg noodles

pavi- the mini pizzas look so wonderful.topped with a lot of melted cheese.YUM!

Krithika- Vegetable Kurma -South Indian style is one of DH favourite dish.The multicolored capsicum pulao is delicious, although i think this time its "pola pola rice"??
    excellent combo friend!rava idlis are cute

I havent yet resumed cooking.today had biryani, that DH purchased from nearby chettinad restaurant.I hope the wound heals fast... in a way its good too, to take a break form the kitchen!!

Yesterday DH and I went to the kebab festival and the following were served.
    Vegetarian kebabs included paneer til tinka , phalkidar khukdi (grilled mushrooms with Indian spices) and anaras bhari gobi ka tikka (minced cauliflower and pineapple with spices).
    Non-vegetarian kebabs include chakori jhinga (prawns with pomegranate and fenugreek), changna lazzedar (spring chicken with exotic herbs), champ sang-e-lazeez (mutton chops flavoured with saffron cooked on stone) and nazakat-e-buz (lamb chargrilled with spices, almond and nutmeg).It was good!

10. pav_3

pav_3 Senior IL'ite

Thanks vahee,oviya, premsudha, poo for your lovely comments :)

Vahee, your saga payasam is very tempting dear...very novel idea of garnishing with roasted coconut and khus-khus...looks very yummy:thumbsup

pavi