Idli with long grain rice

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sanravi_1970, Sep 22, 2008.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Ladies

I tried searching most of the relevant forums to make idli with long grain rice.As par boiled rice is out of stock, i got long grain par boiled rice and used the same ratio which i use for regular par boiled rice ie. 5 rice: 1 urad dhal. With the same ratio, idli doesnt came out good, it was like batter itself as if like its not cooked properly and was sticky. So pls give me the correct ratio ladies! Thanks in advance!

2. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

San,

My friend makes idlis with long grain rice. I will talk to her and will give you the recipe by end of the week.

3. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Hey San, I make idlis with "blue ribbon" brand long grain rice..I make them in the ratio of 3 rice : 1 urud dal...Idli comes out good in this ratio.....i usually soak the urud dal in cold water...this helps in fermenting better....

Sri

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Expecting ur post!Thanks

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Sri
    I did with this ratio only, but in vain, i mix urad flour with the batter and making dosa, otherwise even dosa is not cumng out good :-( The prob is my inlaws are here, and their main tiffen is idli and dosa, if i do make idlis and dosas like this then they will surely get irritated, my hubby says better u make separate batter with good rice for them alone! Imagine making two batters!

6. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

I understand San, ILs from India, they sure look for fluffy, soft idlis...they are used to those...but then i dont know why you are not getting with this ratio, this is what i use and I make the batter a little thicker...I grind the urud dhal first and i grind it for longer duration, which makes the batter very soft and fluffy...try using cold water to soak urud dhal...how long do you pressure cook them? I usually cook the idilis for 20 mins, In India I used to cook for 15 mins, but then here if i do that with this rice, idlis doesnt get cooked...so try that.....preparing two batters, doesnt sound fun at all.....

Sri

7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Sri

Do u mean the regular par boiled rice? I do get good idlis with regular one, but now its not available in Indian stores, so we got this Long grain par boiled rice, which is different than regular par boiled,with this i am not getting good idlis. I steam it for 10 mns and i get good ones, but this rice is giving me trouble, actually people here have discussed abt using Long grain for idli but i searched a lot yesterday i cudnt find those posts!

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi,

If you want a urgent solution you can try using Idli Rava? That I believe is still available in the Indian store. Although it does not compare to the ground idli, it is not bad. You can meanwhile keep experimenting with ratios...

9. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

San, I too use Blue ribbon long grain rice (already mentioned this in my earlier post...

There is another thread with the same discussion, thought you might get some more answers from there....check out...
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/g...da/36061-there-any-alternative-idli-rice.html

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Sri

Thnx, i saw that thread already!

Pavarun,i know i cud get idli rava but the fact is i am going to india for vacation, bfr that i want to finish atleast 3/4th of the bag i got, otherwise when i return i need to throw the rice because i can find only worms in that, thats y i am asking for suggestions ONLY with this long grain i got!!