1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Please help : How to make good/soft chapatis, parathas and puris?!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ptamil2007, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hello chitra and everyone,

I am living in Finland and somehow managed to buy Pillsbury atta.
    I tried by making dough by mixing little milk, salt etc...
    But always my chapatis and puris come out very hard (We call it Papad :bang)

I like chapatis more than rice and since I am pregnant now, midwife had advised to reduce the quantity of rice to lessen the chances of pregnancy diabetes.

I have tried umpteen number of times, I just get irritated each time when chapatis as well as puris come out so hard (Its not in an eatable state at all)

My husband is very adjusting and doesnt say anything..But I do really feel bad about it.

Can you please post how to make soft chapatis and puris.

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Re: Please help : my chapatis and puris come out a disaster

Hi,
    I would like to ask u few questions
    1.How does the dough appear after u have kneaded? soft/hard/medium
    2. What is time between u kneading and rolling out?leave 1 hr

Try adding few tsp of any oil.cover a damp cloth on the dough.
    Some times the problem comes in the way u cook the chapati.Dont cook in high flame for long time.Dont apply oil immediately puttin gin tawa.

3. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Where in Finland are you residing? I am in Helsinki.
    For chappatis, mix a tsp of oil, little salt with the dough and try to make the dough with warm water.
    Then heat the tava first.Here in Finland, if you have a heater, then put the knob in 6. The tava has to be considerably hot.

Now put the chappati on it, and just wait till the chappati changes the colour(I mean, leave it for just 10 to 20 seconds) Then flip it to other side. This time the side touching the tava, has to be fully cooked. Once that is done, flip it again.You will see chappati starting to blow now.Just let it cook, and your chappatis are ready.

If you are in helsinki, You can come my house and i will show how, it can be made. If you see it being made once, you will get the trick.

Dont worry, It seems embarrasing when chappatis come like pappad.I have been there too.But with practice, you get it right.
    I watched my mother and mother in law making chappatis and learnt it.

Try and let me know.

4. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi supriya,

You can make chappatis with the pilsburry atta, immediately after kneading.It come out very well. I make it without even adding oil.I was never an expert in making chappatis, but with trial and error method, I have learnt the tricks.Also here in finland, in most house we have heaters.So we cant control heat as we can with gas stove.So, we have to heat the tava on max heat.Otherwise the chappatis become very hard.

I have seen my mother adjusting heat on the gas stove, while making chappatis.I tried it here, and it was a disaster.

5. SupriyaDinesh

Hi,
    Each one has their own method of making chapathi.Without oil and standing period chapathi has never turned out soft(till lunch).Good that u make good chapathi with simple method.
    Even when i was in London i dint have flamed cooker..but somehow managed.
    I think Chithra madam can suggest some ideas.

6. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi Supriya,

I understand what you mean. I am not saying that the method you have suggested is wrong.I just wanted to give an idea about the things here.

I have made chappatis without oil and standing period and they have been very soft, even until the next day.

Sorry, if you felt bad.That was not the idea.

7. achu

achu Bronze IL'ite

]

do chk out this food bloghttp://kajaldreams.blogspot.com/search/label/wheat%20flour
    it has good explanation with pictures....

8. SupriyaDinesh

Hi,
    Nice site with good pics.Hope Ptamil2007 gets an idea and makes good chapathi.
    Hi yama,
    I feel we must be confusing ptamil by contradicting ideas on making chapathis.so let her follow her own instinct and try which works.Please help the thread starter with ideas so she can pick which suits her.

9. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  10. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear ptamil2007,

After preparing the dough, you keep it aside for atleast 30 minutes. Then while rolling the chapathi you must use little atta so that the chapthi does not get stuck. The rolling should be uniform and you should get a thin chapthi. After putting the chapathi on the tava, you can use a slightly wet cloth and touch the upper part. Some people while touching will make the chapathi spin on the tava. This will make the chapathi to puff and become soft. Better way to make is what is called 'phulka' chapthi. In this, after rolling you hold the chapathi directly on the blue flame just like 'appalam vaatuthal'. You will find the chapathi puffing and it will be very soft.

Regards,

TDU