1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Please help : How to make good/soft chapatis, parathas and puris?!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ptamil2007, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Re: Please help : my chapatis and puris come out a disaster

Hi Latha,

Welcome to the club :wave of fiasco chapatis.

But dont give up...Lets keep trying..I am also in the spirit of trying and trying till it comes out good.

One thing what me going to do is: normally when we make chapati dough I make it for two people and so everytime we have to make more chapatis. Which is
    1. time consuming
    2. tiring
    3. frustrating at the end that it didnt come out well.
    4. waste of resources as it has to be thrown away.

So lets just prepare two chapatis at a time...
    I have told my husband that for lunch, I shall make something separate for him and shall make two-3 chapatis for me,. If it doesnt come out well, I would have the option of eating whatever I am making for him.
    This way when the quantity is less, we wont feel the strain also. So lets take all the tips and start experimenting :)

All the best to both of us...

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Latha,

What ? you are also not getting good chappati? Please dont give up. Here I want to tell you one thing Krishna , my son will prepare excellent chappati. I am not bluffing, or I am not telling this to encourage you people. Really he will do good chappatis.
    He will make experiments and he himself made varities of stuffed and mixed fruits parotas.

The main thing is mixing the flour. Do you have food processor? or now a days they are giving special attachment for grinder in which you can mix flour. Better go for that if you are too tired to prepare the chappati dough. You will get excellent results. ( The secreat of Krishna's chappati is this:thumbsup)

Otherwise, take flour in a basen of deep bowl. As 'ptamil' said make small quantity first. Just 2 - 3 table spoon flour at a time. Put the flour in the basen, add a pinch of salt, 2 tea spoon oil. Mix well. Then slowly add water. You have to knee the flour atleast 3 -4 min. continuously. This is ver y very important. Keep the flour aside for 30 min. Close the dough by a lid. If it is puri you can make immediately.

Try this and give me a feed back. Or other wise while My visit to Madras let me show how to do ?
    OK?

3. ketal

ketal Bronze IL'ite

After preparing the dough, you keep it aside for atleast 30 minutes.
    Then while rolling the chapathi you must use little rice flour :-o atta so that the chapatti does not get stuck. you can always preaper soft dough not hard
    don’t use for oil and other ingredients in flour
    just my suggestion always you can grind to gehu(wheat) :idea: if you daily use pl. purchase to natraj attamker( gharganti
    we are always chapatti paper chapatti phulka.

ketal.

4. krishnaamma

Hi Pavithra,

I have given many rasam varities, soups and thuvials. Please go through these threads. You can prepare good rasams like your mother.:yes:please go through my index.

click this link for cumin pepper rasam

click here to get low fat breakfast items

You told that your date is Feb.2008 do you have anybody to help you there?
    Take good food with out fail. Take care of your health and eat well.:-D

5. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Ponga krishnaamma

nan veruthu poiten:-(

I dont have food processor and any other attachment also

As u said, i will prepare dough like anything for more than 15mts......mavai pottu adhichu,thuvaichu,pesanghu,killi,udaichu - than pesaiven

And i will also keep that for 30 mts

I want to tell oneMORE thing here,I DONO TO ROLL CHAPPATHI.........:bang:bang:bangcomp::bangcomp::oops::exactly::exactly::yes::yes::yes:

How is this??!!!!!!!!!ethu eppadi erukku??????????????

hey hey i can see u people ............laughing at me ,teasing me...i can hear all of ur words..

But, iam helpless, what to do.

BUT LIKE TO EAT CHAPPATHI.....VERY MUCH...........with pakka sidedish.......

ORU VETTU VETUVEN chance kidaicha........

If i plan to do chapathi nfor that day, it will become my major event of the day, i will prepare myself mentally, make the dough with full effort , do mouthwatering sidedish pakka (expert in sidedish) and put tawa in stove

AND BEG/CALL MY MOM OR SISTER TO ROLL THAT.........

If i do, it wont come from that stand, it will sticjk to that, or i will tare that while taking our..something will definitely happen........

EDHU DHAN EN CHAPPATHI IN KADHAI...........

Iam sorry................

And, HATS OFF TO KRISHNA .................:clap:2thumbsup::thumbsup

LATAMURALI

6. krishnaamma

Hi Latha,

Like your avathar, I laughed. sorry sorry. :spinI cant stop my laugh. Why dont you see when our mother or sister making chappati. I think you have to learn the trick of rolling. that is all. If you are not having food processer or grinder attachment, do one thing. Get one chappati press. The old model. Itis only Rs. 250/= So in any vessel stores you can get that. First you press your dough in that. so you will get a small disc. Then slowly try to make big. I asked krish to do like that only. Now a days he is make such a round chappati. he loves chappati.

thanks for the compliments to krish.:thumbsup Dont worry you will make good chappati.

7. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Lata,

You poor thing!!! No I am not laughing at you. I never would you know because I also went through all of this when I started learning. :spin

After marriage and my son in my hands I started . If I can do it , you can also. Don't worry.

First get the chappathy press as Krishnaamma told you. I also started with that, now I am an expert in this. Ok. All the best

Just put the balls you prepare into the press and press it. Lo!! you get a round chappathy. Cook it and eat. That's a dear.

Love
    Latha :wave

8. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

My dearest krishanamma and latha

Thank u so much yaar, i donot know about that, i will get that immidiately...

Hope the chappathi press will be in steel.am i right?!!!

i will surely get that in this weekend.and give FB

latamurali

9. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Lata,

You can get the chappathy press in all the shops selling steel vessels and home appliances. In tambaram itself you can get.

You are also in the Tambaram area right? Rajmi can help you.
    Love
    Latha :wave

10. krishnaamma

Hi Lata,

As I told you before, you can get it in any vessel shop. It is made out of 'castain' and the inner portion , where we are suppose to keep the dough, is stainless steel. Really you feel easy to make chappati here after. All the best. Waiting for your feed back.