1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you spank kids? Then don't!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Spiderman1, Apr 13, 2010.

1. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

2. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

AAP is not the first agency to come up with a revelation that spanking is not good. There have been several studies in the past which clearly proved spanking does not work. There is a reason why spanking has been banned in most European countries at home and at school. Massive abuse went on when teachers were empowered with spanking as a mode of discipline in schools and they abused it to treat students as hostile targets for all their personal problems. Banning the practice from schools and home was the best solution to stop that.

I am sure there are still parents and teachers who swear by corporal punishment as discipline but making it illegal removed all such ambiguities. Some parts of the world are slow in catching up, but one of these days the world will get around to banning it everywhere.

If hitting your spouse is domestic abuse, then that same logic can be extended to spanking a child. There is no judicious use of spousal abuse when it comes to grown adults, is there? So why shouldn't a child be treated with the same courtesy and dignity?

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    spanking is banned in Indian schools also.there is still no law about banning it at homes.
    still long way to go..........

4. Induvadana

Induvadana New IL'ite

Studies show watching TV programs/movies playing vedio games involving violence leads to aggressive behavior in kids. When are these governaments banning those programs ? May be never, GOVT interference in corporate business is against capitalism and democracy. but GOVT telling families how to bring up kids based on some studies would be fine. Every one knows the results of studies(forget social sciences , even in medical field) depend on who is sponsoring. How many times results of earlier studies are declared wrong?
    I agree that constantly beating kids out of frustration is quite harmful to kids. But, I don't think loving parents once or twice losing control is a big deal. I happen to have a very quite son and hardly ever needed even raising vioce before my daughter was born. But after another child's birth , he started taking out his frustration at school and jealosy on my daughter by saying she is stupid or fat etc,and ofcourse to protect my daughter I had to punish him by taking away his IceCream or TV time etc in anger. As he couldn't control his behaviour even after I explained to him. It worked now he is better behaved with her.

5. sreenidhishar

sreenidhishar Bronze IL'ite

hi all,
    my daughter sreenidhi is 4years now and is already an expert in throwing tantrums and howling until she gets what she wants. amsure spanking does not help in any way ,but only makes the situation worse. all i do to make her see my point is by not talking to her for a while and thts one thing she can never take.
    :)

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Out of extreme frustration, can you occasionally/rarely beat your spouse? Sure, don't do it often, but you know once in a while, or add once in a rare while, anyone can get on your nerves - can you bring your hand down?

If you cannot - then why wont same courtesy be extended for the children?

If it is because children are "immature", and adults are "mature", one glance into the RELATIONSHIPS forum will clear the doubt on how mature adults are.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Spider and others who are equating spanking a child with adults , How can you equate a kid and an adult?

An adult is suppose to be grown and he is suppose to know that fire burns you,ice is cold etc..etc..

But a child is not that way.You need to support them and they are dependent on you.And the way a kid behaves is very different from how an adult behaves.I hope you all remember the Birbal & Akbar story on the same subject where Birbal explains him how difficult it is to make a kid understand something.

What will you do to a kid when he wants to cross a road by himself(or something which is equally dangerous) and trying to run and cross the road?Will you try to lecture him that time?That too at the spur of the moment?I do not have to explain you what will happen if you do not stop him at that moment.And I am sure an adult will know that he should not cross the road in peak traffic or should follow zebra crossing.

Saying all that , I am not advocating spanking here.I think in general (forget exceptions), every mom tries not to spank/hit the child.It is only in extreme cases , they use that as a final resort.

8. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Adults, who are supposed to have common sense, do a lot of stupid things. All those barmy stories you read in newspapers are proof positive of how stupid adults can act.

Yes, you need to support the children by not resorting to violence as a method of correction. A kid can understand what you are saying if you explain to them in a logical way. You need to get down to their level of comprehension, if need be and drive your message across and believe me, kids are way smarter and can comprehend things better than most people think.

If your kid does something you told them not to do, that does not mean they do not understand it or do not get it but rather your method of explanation last time was not effective, so try again. And keep trying till you have effectively gotten your message across. Spanking is neither the answer nor the last resort of any kind and it does not teach the kid why they should not do certain things. And you don't teach your kid about not crossing the street at the zebra crossing but rather well beforehand, explaining them why crossing the street during busy traffic is not a good thing.

I do not recommend or advocate spanking as a resort of any kind as it does not educate a child on cause and effect. It is an ineffective and poor substitute for parents who do not want to make the efforts to be a good parent and would rather resort to spanking because it is easy and quick and require little efforts and then justify their lazy parenting methods by saying 'Oh, my parents spanked me and I turned out just fine and I am following that tradition'. Well, lot of times the parents are not right about a lot of things but they sure do put in a lot of efforts to brainwash their kids into thinking what they did was right and they are the best parents on the face of the planet.

9. kgneetha

kgneetha New IL'ite

I feel it is required .

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

:bangcomp:

bhuvnidhi - when he runs to cross the road, hold him firm and pull him back. You dont need to hit him for that, do you? Then when you are safe, you can explain the danger.

Last edited: May 4, 2010