1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any tips on managing two kids alone??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by pinky2, Nov 25, 2009.

1. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

I'm the mom of two kids...DS is 6yr old and DD is 1 yr old....Since 2nd my second delivery till this nov mid(for a yr) I had help from my family...now its all alone us DH and me taking care of my kids.....

Just wanted to know any pre-preparation for cooking and another things that makes the day more easier.

My cooking, feeding my kids are going well for me...but I couldn't do any other cleaning, laundry, ironing,etc.....

How do you all manage the day with different chores at home with kids being away from our family in different countries?

Thanks,
    Deepa.

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Pinky,

I am not that perfect supermom. even before kids i haven't been good with prioritising my work and completing them. so with that background...

how long is your older child at school? i normally get few things that can be really difficult to do with both around at that time... like shopping, vaccuming, cleaning fridge etc., my 17 month old girl takes 2 hr nap in the morning.

otherwise practically everything else i do with them around. my ironing mostly gets done when everyone else is in bed... 1/2 hr every 2 days. during weekdays i cook only dinner fresh. the kids are in and out of the kitchen. by now they both know that mom is busy with something or the other. there are tough days too when i simply have to stop doing errands at home and attend to them. weekly once we have a cleaning lady who does thorough dusting, cleaning bathroom, toilets etc.,

essence: you have to make a kind of rough schedule and test it out:) it depends on the person as well. i'm a very night person so there are few things i can do after the kids are in bed. but if you are a morning person then see what all you can do without waking them up.

Latha

3. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Latha,

I'm still doing things here and there...not settle in a routine yet...going on for now....I'm a night person - I can be awake the whole night, but CAN"t wake up early :bonk..My girl's nap is at anytime in the day and down to one nap nowadays....the problem is she wakes up often
    (2-3 times) during her nap and night time too...tats why I cannot do or plan any work...but managing to do....

My DS goes to school full time from 8.30 am to 4 pm...which is a very good thing....My rough daily schedule is this. I wake up bt 6-7 am and make daddy and son ready, pack lunch for my DS.Once they leave I feed my girl, then my breakfast...India Call....then I start cooking for lunch since my DH comes home for lunch every day....after that feed my girl..bathing....make her sleep around 2-3.30...my son comes by 4 pm...taking care of him, helping homework....then I cook dinner....cleaning,feeding ,sleeping goes.....nothing other, I can work on...even sometime I log on to IL,but not able to read/post anything:drowning...Unable to keep the house clean...worrying part:spin

Need to work on something to get into routine...

Thanks,
    Deepa.

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Deepa,

Not sure if I'm qualified to give any tips since I somehow get through. Some days are better than others. Weekdays I try to finish most cooking in the morning before the kids wake up. Once they wake up I barely have time to get both ready, brush, make them eat breakfast and get all of us out the door. My weekends are chaotic since I can't get up early and everything gets delayed.

If you can get into a routine and finish some cooking after the kids go to bed (for the next day) then that may help. I also have a cleaning service so I don't bother too much about that.

Try to go easy on the cooking, do some prep like chopping veggies and gravy preparation etc the night before. Other than that, we learn to do things with them around :)

5. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Sindhu,

Now I'm getting better in managing everything....and hope it continues and gets even better:)....and I shortened my time in the kitchen...
    I admire you on how you manage work, 2 kids, cooking and other chores at home....Definitely you are a great mom!!!!:thumbsup

Deepa.

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Reviving an old thread;

Ladies; it would be nice if you could chip-in more thoughts.

I have a 2 month old and a 2 year old. My mother leaves in another two weeks; and I am already worried on how I will effectively manage my time; without compromising the time I spend with my kids; especially my 2 year old.

Please tell me how you guys managed the kids and the chores; giving equal attention to both the kiddos; enjoying their every growth phase; if it is not asking too much; how you could get some "me-time"; all without going "crazy":)????????????? Are these things even possible ;)

Thanks
    Nitha

7. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

hi nitha congrats..
    i have 2 kids..
    DD will be 3 dis july n DS is 1yr n 6 months..
    just 1 year n 6 months difference between the 2..

i had a regular sechdule.
    like i give them a bath together and give food to them at the same time so that they enjoy each others company.
    i put both of them to sleep a the same time...

morning before my husband leaves i finish my cooking n all mu kitchen work..
    pice in the rice cooker later..
    but i have a domestic help for all cleaning job.
    so i manage my own time for news papers and stuff..
    they have lunch together and later i play some music on the comp when i browse..
    dinner after my DH comes home..

happy parenting.

8. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Aparna;

I remember; your DD and mine are close in age. We do not get domestic here. I guess I need to get into a schedule.
    After 1st year; I guess I can bath and feed them together. Another 8 more months before that happens.
    -Nitha