1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Good habits to teach our children

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by mukilganesh, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mukilganesh

mukilganesh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies !

I thought it would be a good idea to share the good habits we teach our children. If everyone adds their tips, I am sure it will benefit all of us. Our children are our earth’s future and it is our duty to give them the foundation to be responsible adults.

These are the habits I have taught my son…

-to be good
    -to share with others
    -to never lie
    -to be clean and clean up after himself(he has been leaving a clean toilet since he was 4 !)
    -to put his used clothes in the dirty clothes hamper and not on the bed/floor
    -to be understanding and considerate of others
    -to be patient(getting closer but still working on it :))
    -to not hurt anyone or anything (for ex. to not step on a snail, slug, or earthworm on the pavement) and at the same time to not let anyone hurt him
    -explain the value of money(that money does not grow on trees and you have to earn it-he gets paid for keeping his room tidy including doing up his bed every morning, for helping to wash the car, for helping in the garden…)
    -he helps out in setting the table and putting his plate/bowl/cup/glass in the sink after he has used it

To never waste anything and recycle whenever possible (not because we cannot afford it but because it is wiser to be eco-friendly and be prepared for a rainy day).
    To never waste water-like leaving the top open while brushing the teeth,or opening the tap all the way, and not having long showers. There are people dying in this world due to lack of drinking water.
    To never waste food as not everyone is lucky enough to eat on a daily basis.
    To reuse one-side paper for your kids scribbling or to cut it and use them as shopping lists.

I will add more as I remember them or if I teach him something new.

Admin note: Read related article
    7 Childhood Habits towards a Better Health

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Mukil,

Those are some valuable points. Here's something that happened a couple of weeks ago - a nieghbor's kid while playing, accidentally poked my son's eyes with a stick (moms and kids were there). His immediate reaction was to go home crying and shut himeself in his room (he is 5). His mom wanted him to come out and apologise, while we all knew that it was an accident and these things happen and I even said it was ok, his mom was trying to teach him to own up - in her words. She wanted to teach him that sometimes bad accidents do happen, but a child needs to stand up, own up, apologise and then go instead of running - we all knew that, that kid was scared and was also sorry as well as embarrassed. But I can see her point of view and appreciate it. I think it is a difficult and a valuable lesson to teach a child!

3. mukilganesh

Hi Srama

Ouch! Hope your son's eyes are ok.

To own up to one's actions, whether deliberate or by accident is definitely one valuable quality to have and quite difficult to teach a child. Though he is only 5, I agree with the Mom in her efforts to make him realize that. Maybe he is too young to understand but when he has calmed down, she could try and explain it to him. Eventually as kids grow up, they will learn its significance.

4. chasha

chasha New IL'ite

I will surely teach up the good habits to my kids.thanks a lot for sharing

5. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

hi all

thanx a lot for sharing some useful tips

6. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI mukila...

thanks for sharing useful tips... even i'm teaching most of the tips which you have done... but still she is too young for even then i'm trying...keep posting...

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing wonderful tips. True that good habits and thoughts must be imbibed at a young age. My mom says it always stays at the sub-conscious level and children never forget them as they grow up. For example my mom will go mad at anyone hitting or pelting stray dogs. And she has always told us how we should never hurt someone esp anyone that is weaker than us. And I see that now both me and brother can remember those words that she must have told when were 3 yrs old or even younger than than.

Another thing I want to add is we ourselves, as parents, must do in action what we want to teach our children. Otherwise they will get confused why amma is telling me to do something and she's doing it differently.

Latha

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Mukhil,
    good, you are taking so much efforts to give a treasure to your child. My son is 17 now, an only child. But he is very level headed and I feel proud when I see him doing smething good. You have given excellent tips, even I can use some of them now.
    I would like to add something more- be fearless of unknown things like demons, devils etc. and the dark too. many children are so afraid of the dark.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi mukil

good points.. i would like to add,

Respect elders..whether it is the servant maid who come home to work, or the vendor who gives vegetables..My children call them as name+aunty/uncle.

Being polite while answering the phone. (this as the child starts picking up the phone..)

Saying thank you (which is very difficult for most kids..) and also saying sorry when you are wrong and owning up the mistakes... (by practising it ourselves even if it is to our own children, we are setting up examples..)

10. mukilganesh

Hi Vahee

I feel that it can never be too early to inculcate good habits in children and think that you are doing the right thing.

There is a proverb in Tamil, roughly translated, "The habits you learn in the cradle last till your grave".

Besides, kids these days are so smart that they are quick learners!