1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

my kid wont study at all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by gankita, Jul 4, 2015.

1. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

My kid is in ukg and he also tries to run from homework/ study.
    i had to put him in tuition even for primary class so that he will do little by fear. local teachers don't usually care much and beat kids so i wanted him to teach at home.
    he doesnt sit for work, runs here n there n even if he sits wont write anythg:bonk
    any suggestions pls?

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

3. msindu

msindu Bronze IL'ite

maybe adhd. is it only in studies or is he impulsive in other activities also?

4. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Mulicolored markers (hec, I'm in my mid-30s, I use them to study for IT exams)

Using stuffed animals, action figures as examples

Trips to science and history museums, and create some fun project

KhanAcademy.org

Stopwatch to record times he studies .... more time means some sort of reward

Also, you can start your own blog to showcase your journey of homeschooling. You'd get lot of support and advice from parents who also homeschool their kids.

1 person likes this.
  5. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

he is 4 year

6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

A four year old is not ready for studies and it does not make sense to push him. Plenty of playtime, outdoor activities and also drawing, reading stories, handicraft. Make more harm than good to start schooling too early. Usually kids ready when they are 6-7 year old. More important to learn motoric skills, social skills, vocabulary (reading for him).

1 person likes this.
  7. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

just simple writing as per indian education system. like uppercase alphabets

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Gankita, your child is 4. He is of course, playful. He is just being normal. Please do not make him fear teachers and education. Work with him. Let him learn through play. Let him gain fine motor skills first - by playing with modelling clay/ opening clothes pins/ etc. look up how his fine motor skills can be enhanced through play.

Get a black board and colourful chalk for him on which he can scribble and colour.

let him experiment with making marks on paper using crayons and colour pens and colour pencils. Ensure he is holding the pencil properly (look up you tube videos about pencil grip for kids)

Are you planning to relocate abroad? I see your location is USA... Hence asking. If yes, move him to a Montessori nursery instead of this one. Or even better home school him with all the wonderful material available online.

At this age they learn incredibly through play. Look up resources online so he can learn through play. The teachers you have described will kill the child's enthusiasm to learn. Please change the school setting...

3 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@gankita for gods' sake he is just 4, and he should be in lkg rather than ukg. i seriously hate this education system that does not make it strict that a child goes to lkg in 3.6 yrs and 1st only when he/she is 6. the child's motor skills are not developed at 4 and i can imagine the trauma the child must be going through.

my kids went to lkg only at 4+ and i do not regret the decision though many in my peer have children who are one class ahead of mine. so what, it is not about how soon they complete the education, or how better they are than your relatives' kids, or friend's kids. it is about how they enjoy their schooling and foundation years. and believe me it was not a easy decision those days for me with even the school questioning my decision.

i strongly believe that 3-8 are foundation years, and the child should be in an happy frame of mind about school and learning and by fear. and please stop putting the fear of teachers and homework. he will definitely do it when he is ready with a little firmness.

if you are depriving the child of that happiness, then you are putting in the base of loads of tantrums, headaches and heartaches as he progresses to higher classes.

at 4, your child will not sit in a place for more than 10 minutes. not necessarily adhd..(and please not all children who are restless can be clubbed under it..)
    there are ways a curious mind of a 4 year works. it is more on hands on experimenting, like you tell them don't touch it, it is hot, they would still want to touch it and find it out...just that is how the brain works.

i would look at hands on fun way of teaching things. it is ok if he sits and does for 5 minutes. with proper channeling and interest he will sit for more time.

until then make it fun. there used to be these coloring and direction guiding writing books. see if you can find them. and i also hope the whole concept of writing started with sleeping and standing lines instead of direct jump.

make it fun. try to get in the phonetic pronunciation of these letters in the things he loves. if he loves fruits, use those for the same. games too.

Print Giant Letters of the Alphabet

I have done something similar with my son who never wanted to write...

A little more patience and you can help your son, without tutions..and i object to a teacher hitting your son (the other thread) and please do not put him in a tution where the teacher has no patience or experience in handling kids..

sindmani, yellowmango, Soch and 2 others like this.
  10. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Most of the kids who are in this age group won't have a long attention span and would like to run here n there. Don't make him dread studies .beating kids, forcing them to rite at such young age is big no.
    You can encourage him in lots of ways, I can share a few things which I do, which are mostly interest lead.
    You can get some finger paint and let the child play with paint, I have lots of them including the ones you can use in bathtub. Just let your child draw n paint, after some time u can move to teaching letters, n you dont have to start from a and b , u can teach some easy letters like x, o , c etc first which encourages the child.finger paiting not only helps in fine motor but also is excellent sensory activity n also teaches them to sit down n do some work.it will take little time but ur kid will enjoy it.
    For proper writing you need good motor skills so do lots of activities to develop that, there r lots of them if you Google like beading, lacing, pouring , using a dropper etc.take a old dropper n some water in a bowl ask kid to use dropper to put it another bowl .it is great fun for them n teaches patience.
    give different pasta like shell and macaroni and let him separate them , shells in one bowl n elbow macaroni in other.this pinching action develops good grasp which helps in writing.
    Not interested in writing could be due to lack of good fine motor skills or lack of attention. Following these few simple methods teaches them skill needed to hold a pencil n also increases attention span.
    Another thing is how much screen time does he have, watching too much tv can lead to deceased attention span. At this age try fun methods for teaching.read lots of books, you can take a sand paper n cut out letters ftom it , run his finger on it .that feeling the letter makes a faster connection in brain n helps in writing better.when u go out in parks or beach write letters in sand with a stick or finger.kids enjoy this .
    Get some play dough or clay n let him mould n make things.
    I can go on n on as this is one if my favorite topic , but I'm sure u must have lots of ideas. Dont force the child, it will do more harm than good.

1 person likes this.