1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggest good oil & shampoo for my kids

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Ami, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

People those who stay in USA, what do you apply for kids on the hair like coconut oil or sesame oil for a better growth? I use to apply the same, but the homemade shikakai-it is not taking out the oil easily and considering their health(fever, cold & cough), dont mind of using shampoo. But, not sure whether it will affect the hair though I apply oil in a regular interval.

Any idea, guys??

Rgds.

2. diva

diva New IL'ite

Oil

Ami,

I apply Johnson's baby oil to my baby's hair every other day. I don't know if it helps in hair growth, but it helps to mositurize my baby's scalp as much her skin. I have been using Aveeno shampoo and have had no problems with it. In fact I have problems when I don't use shampoo - it is amazing the amount of junk kids will pick up onto their hair!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

coconut oil

I apply only normal coconut oil(Parachute,since I get it in Indian Shops) for my son's hair.This I have been doing since he was born. Even for his body,I apply the same and leave him for about 1/2 hr to 1 hr. Then for hair,I use Johnson's shampoo(which again I have been using since his birth),for body-any baby soap.

I have not had any problems with his health due to use of shampoo till date.

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks.

Diva, if you dont mind, may I ask Aveeno is a local or Indian product??

And, Sunitha, for my daughter, yes its not a problem when comes to Johnson's shampoo whereas for my son(8 yrs old), the oil is not going fully and the hair does not seem to be fresh after bath. Then only, I started realizing, maybe for grownup kids, this kind of shampoo will not work out or our Indian shampoo only is meant for oil bath purposes??

Rgds.

5. diva

diva New IL'ite

Aveeno

Aveeno is a US brand. It is doctor recommended and is made from natural colloidal oatmeal and soybeans and totally safe for the baby. It has no harsh fragrances.

6. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

I have closely observed few brands as to what effect they have on my daughter's skin and hair. And since about an yr I am now usnig a mix of 1/3rd olive oil + 2'3rd coconut oil + few drops of badaam roghan for my baby's hair twice a week and Himalayas baby shampoo has really proved better for her hair than johnsons. Soap - only Derma Dew for her.

7. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I am also having trouble regarding shamppo for my 2.5 year old daughter. Johnsons shampoo did not work on her from day 1. Doctor suggested KZ lotion shampoo for her and till date I am using that. From SupSam's post, I understand that Himalayas has a baby shampoo. Is there any other shampoo products that are reliable for kids and are available in Chennai?
    Looking forward for your response.
    Thanks!

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

For my daughter its been always Montana Oil (Arnica). Its marketed by SB pharmaceuticals (India). Whenever I visit India, I make it a point to get 3 or 4 of these bottles. Its an ayurveda type of oil with lot of herbs in it (like curry leaves, aloe vera etc). I slightly massage this oil on her scalp almost everyday. It does really help for hair growth.

Shampoo, is always J & J or meera shikakai powder. Only in few occasions I have used Dove with moisturizer. Whole foods or TJs carry organic herbal shampoos too. Try one of those if you want to.

-Uma

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Thanks Uma!!

10. akilar

akilar New IL'ite

Dear All,
    I have the same question.. my daughter is 3 yrs old and dont know which shampoo should i be using for her.. i am residing at west africa and do not have easy access to the home made shikakai powder etc...can any one pls suggest me a good shampoo...
    p.s: recently i can see her hair falling whenever i wash her hair... what can be done?