1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Summer activities for kids

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by ramyaramani, May 10, 2015.

1. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello All,

With summer starting (in my part of the world summer has already started) one big question is how can I engage my kid? With so many options now for summer camps, sports classes, science classes or general activities etc. parents now have wide variety to choose from.

Have you enrolled your kids in any classes? If not how are you engaging them or planning to engage them?

1 person likes this.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Museums, park play-dates, visit local local water fountain/water playgrounds, library activities, vegetable/fruit picking, engage kids in growing garden, light cooking... although I am not sure how well the little one will take to these activities. Do you have moms with kids of similar age close by?

1 person likes this.
  3. ramyaramani

@butterflyice Thanks for the suggestions.

I have enrolled my 3.5 year old for half day summer camp. Since it is theme based she loves it. In fact the themes are similar to some of the points written by you.

My little one is too young for summer camps.

Wondering how working moms do it? Or moms of older kids?

Things have changed from how it used to be earlier. I remember being packed off to my grandparents place for 2 months. My cousins would also be there and it used to be loads of fun.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@Ramyaramani how about swimming,Gymnastics or even dance class !

1 person likes this.
  5. durgadeviramesh

durgadeviramesh Platinum IL'ite

my first daughter this year doing arangetram in bharathanatiyam so she go classes regularly,next daughter planned to go vocal class and last son practice yoga in house itself. I bought one kids yoga cd and give.:rotfl

6. ramyaramani

@chitravivek She goes for Skating in the evening.

@durgadeviramesh oh...raising talented bunch of kids. Three different ways to engage the kids.

7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

We have done mom and child pottery classes, mom and child gym, music, tennis, soccer, martial arts, swimming lessons in the last few summers.

The Yoga Dvd idea is brilliant.

8. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

My kid is learning and playing cricket this summer.
    That he does in the morning hours..

Then he joins me for summer camp...science based fun activities...new surprises every day.

Drawing, painting classes, hand-writing are best for looong summer months and skills are helpful forever your life.

Apart from outside learning activities, do plan playdate, pyjama night for your kid with friends....they have super fun

9. durgadeviramesh

durgadeviramesh Platinum IL'ite

thank u so much ramyaramani mam for encouraging quick reply:thankyou2:.i forgot to tell about my second daughter voice is so cute and nice vocal teacher encourages his voice and talent for good future.:whistle

10. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Nowadays in nuclear family we are facing this problem of how to engage the kids for 2 months.

My daughter goes for swimming and music class weekly twice.Recently we have enrolled her in karate.All these classes are in the evening.

Morning she just plays with our neighbors kids and draws under my father's supervision.In between my father makes sure that she studies at least for 30 mins in a day.

We are expecting my husband brothers family next week and they will be here for a week.So,there goes one week and we have 2 more weeks to go for school reopening.:drowning