1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To stranger proof or not

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Sparkle, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Hello Ilites,

Have you ever come across a stranger disciplining your child? How will you respond if that happens? In case a stranger disciplines a child of someone known to you, will you interfere?
    Can a stranger disciplining your child be a good thing or bad?
    Is stranger proofing a child necessary or not? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Sparkle.

1 person likes this.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am not sure what stranger proofing is but usually I keep my child with in my vision. She is only 3 now, so, I make it a point to keep her that way. If she was behaving badly, I would be the first one to jump in and correct her. So far, I havent been in a situation where she behaved badly and someone else had to correct her.

But if she was being reprimanded unnecessarily, then I will not hesitate to step in. I am also teaching her that if strangers approach her, you have to come to mommy right away.

3. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Lol.. Just said in other thread that I did stop a dad from uttering the f- word before his 1 yr old in a restaurant. That has been only time I ever tried to disipline... er well, the father!.

I would not be harsh to any tiny little ones..If needed would be gentle and let them know " oh sweety!.. wheres your mom?.. be careful darling, you might break the jar!"..

It goes the other way... I would not mind a soft heads up but if others fail to be gentle enuf with my kids, they will face me ..

4. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@Rakhii:
    I have the same thoughts too. I have seen (before even I was pregnant, some memories were the trigger for this post) some elders getting annoyed with the children being noisy while travelling by train, while in queues children play around or sing to themselves and accidentally fall on others thereby irritating them. I have seen people being rude to children and some sneak discipline with the help of a smile and a low voice even when their parents were around. Now that I am a parent, I can see that most things done by children are for fun and are not planned and completely harmless. I wonder why those strangers did not point it out the parents though. This is kind of what I meant by stranger proofing.

@Rakhii:
    I will do the same with my LO and I have done this too. As for the strangers approaching, my LO will go around with wide spread arms and a huge smile to anyone and everyone! :cry:I am still working on trying to make him understand!!

sindmani likes this.
  5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@heron:
    I think its ok to discipline adults as adults!! In fact, you helped that dad from embarassing himself in front of his child!!

@heron:
    What will you tell them??? I am asking because, I freeze most often when faced with a sudden situation like this!! Anything I learn from here will help.

sindmani and heron like this.
  6. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

@Sparkle, I don't have an exact answer for your question. Depends on what happened and what and how it was told by the stranger. If it was something that made sense and told in a normal tone, I would accept it as a new learning for her. If it was something told very harsh, some intervention might be required.

Bottom line - I wouldn't mind if things were told in the right manner.

2 people like this.
  7. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

My kid is well behaved too. If she does something inappropriately, I call her and quietly tell her in her ears.
    There was one incident, when we were in a showroom looking for dresses. There was one single sofa in the showroom and a little far from me. My DD went running towards it and sat on it.
    There was this old saleslady who reprimanded her for running. I was not aware since I was a little away from the Sofa . My DD came to me in tears and said... she yelled at me. I was taken aback. The saleswoman understood that DD complained to me and was trying to tell me...if she runs she may fall. I am a Grandmom.. i can say etc etc.. I was raging with anger. However I didn't want to set a wrong example in front of my daughter by yelling at her. So I politely told her.. You could have told me. I would have taken care that she doesn't run.
    My DD was still uncontrollable and I left the showroom. I had to then convince her saying.. that the old woman was concerned, so she told you not to run. Don't worry.. Next time if someone says something..you tell them..My mommy is there. Can you please talk to her.!!
    Unsolicited reprimands.. notdonesmiley

1 person likes this.
  8. JanSri

JanSri Silver IL'ite

Like one of the posters said, it depends entirely on the situation. But having said thatt , Garfield dialogue comes to my mind - 'he is my dog (Odie), only I can abuse him!!!'
    Not that I abuse my kids, would definitely have a go at the reprimander if they're doing it in a harsh manner. This includes my father sometimes - if he is in deep 'thought', my 2 yr old shouldn't play loudly!! I've told him off when he shushes her. He had the choice of moving to a different room.
    But I've committed a most heinous crime if I discipline their grandchildren - my kids!!

1 person likes this.
  9. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@hridhaya:
    Wow! That's mature! The very thought that a stranger is talking to my LO will make me queasy.

10. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@VanithaSudhir:
    You did exactly what I would have done if I was in that situation. Grandma or not, a stranger should approach the parents rather than telling the children.
    Great advice... TY & I have to work on teaching my LO this!!

1 person likes this.