1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with slow learning kid.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by vvj, Mar 14, 2015.

1. vvj

vvj Senior IL'ite

hi ladies,
    this is my first post.i am writing this with a heavy heart. i have two sons.My elder son is eight years old.he is good in studies. my younger one is 4 years and three months.he has difficulty in learning. he s taking too much time in learning things.he can identify and write most of the alphabets. Had a very tough time in learning numbers. after one year struggle now he can identify and write few numbers below ten. he can recite 1 t0 10.(he doesn't know to tell 11,12).He doesn't know rhymes.only one or two.he started his schooling when he was 2.5. he has a good pencil grip. writes few alphabets and numbers. but when i ask him to write in sequence, he doesn't do that.when i force him to try.he cries. i feel bad.took long time in learning colours. learned shapes fast.i have taught the spelling of his name so many times. but he doesn't know when i ask. i m worried abt whether it s sign of dyslexia.pls pour your inputs.i m really worried abt my child.i have spoken to my childs teacher. they are asking me to wait and try. should this kid has to suffer for each and everything?

2. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@vvj:

First I want to say, you are doing a good job!!

1. For teaching numbers, you can try using colourful flashcards. Also you can play videos of numbers, shapes and colours from time-to-time. You can encourage him to say numbers while he plays. Say, you tell him to clap his hand 20 times while he counts (goes like 1 clap, 2 clap etc.).

2. For shapes and colours, you can ask him to point out the colours and shapes of various object around your house, his toys etc. You can narrate what your are doing everyday and make this part of teaching to him. For e.g.. tell him, the milk is white, the colour of your shirt is blue etc. Include his elder brother in as many activities as possible and help him teach his younger one. While doing this, try as much as possible not to compare. Praise your kid and as him to play along.

3. Sing as many rhymes as possible with actions and funny expressions when your kid is around. Show him that these activities are funny and enjoyable.

4. For spelling his name, you can write his name on his hand and read it to him. Ask him several times during the day to spell his name. Its OK if he reads the letters from his hand at first. He will pick up the spelling within few days.

5. More than what children learn from school, they learn from home easily. Be playful with him and don't lose your patience.

Try these and see if there is some change. In case it bothers you very much, I suggest you visit a paediatrician first and then a speech therapist. All the best!

1 person likes this.
  3. vvj

vvj Senior IL'ite

@sparkle,
    thanks for your. prompt reply.I am worried whether he is having any learning disability.
    planning for an assessment.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@vvj welcome to this forum. and you don't need to have a heavy heart, there are solutions to all problems.

the first thing that i noticed is comparison, even if you were trying to drive a point please stop. you cannot compare. half your issues will evaporate when you start accepting both are your sons but are different.

A couple of months back, my son told me "Mom y (who is a extraordinarily brilliant child in his class) can learn a lesson if he reads it once, i need to read it 4 times.." my heart went out to my boy, but i told him so what, we will find a way to do it four times..(not that i sit with him when he studies, that is against my nature, i become restless in few minutes..done a lot of hand holding when he was a kid and in kg..i weaned off by the time he entered 2nd.)
    .. if he has been learning everything right, but only slower and has all the capacity to do the things that others are doing with regards to writing, reciting and other things then nothing to worry. you need to work on how to make him to it and still be in par with his classmates..it will take a few classes to settle in to a streamline if he is just a slow learner.

how where his milestones. were they in the normal percentile. walking,talking and everything pertaining to growing up.his starting his schooling at 2.5 is another thing that i am wondering..if it was just fun or had writing.

the bold highlight is a flag for me if it is more than slow learning and if he has learning disabilities he needs more attention.

A evaluation instead of torturing both yourself and your kiddo is the best thing that you can do. sometimes being aware that there is nothing wrong other than that he is by nature a slow learner puts you at ease to help him better.
    knowledge and awareness are better weapons when you are in such situation.

all the best to you and your son.

4 people like this.
  5. vvj

vvj Senior IL'ite

@shanvy...
    Thank you for your input. His growth was normal. Little delay in talking . As you said. He is learning. But very slow . If I sit with him and dictate 1 to 10 he can write. But he himself cant write in a sequence . any idea abt this.
    Next week I have booked an appointment for evaluation . hoping for the best .

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

We will wait for the evaluation before we analyse more on his learning @vvj it is just a week.

1 person likes this.
  7. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Every kid is unique! So stop worrying.

I was a slow learner and even now I struggle to learn new things. I struggled till my high school with much counseling and stuff. I started learning of my own when my parents gave up but to my luck and with my own way of learning I came out as the university topper! :) So dont worry!

Did you check if your kid is best with anything? Check for the inner talents. You kid could be good at painting/dancing/singing. Once he finds he is good at things, that can be a boost for him to learn too.

1 person likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@vvj - Agree with shanvy. A slow learner isn't a disability. The only red flag I see is the fact that he can learn some things like shapes with relative ease and still can't sequence numbers. A year is a long time to learn 1-10 but I think some 3 yrs olds are just not ready to learn. You know what, 4yrs is too early to write anything, at least where I live. We start tracing only at four and even that it's lines - straight, slanting etc. so I wouldn't worry too much about the writing bit.

Im worried only about the selective learning ability. But who knows some
    kids may just be selective learners. Lets hope for the best during eval. Let us know how it goes.

2 people like this.
  9. vvj

vvj Senior IL'ite

@Shanvy @laks09 @MaliniHari very soothing to hear from you all. @Malinihari he is good in drawing and colouring. And I admire it. Three weeks back he was diagnosed with H1N1 positive. Now he is taking rest. Tomorrow he said going to school after a month break

4 people like this.
  10. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Trust me he is going to be wonderful!

1 person likes this.