1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 3 year old freaked the hell out of me today!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Rakhii, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon (today). We woke up from our nap at 4 PM. Our home overlooks the park across the street. LO loves looking at the park from our steps leading to the first floor. There was no one in the park. She asked me why there was no one in the park. I told her because its very cold outside, all the kids must be playing inside. Then she said, "No momma, I see one little kid playing". I looked again. There was no one. I asked her where the kid is. She said, near the slide. I looked again, no one. I asked her what the kid is wearing. "A black winter jacket".

I thought, maybe she just mistook the shadows of the pole nearby. Then she said, "now she is on the swing momma. can we go too?" There was no one on the swing but the swing was moving. WTH? I thought and took her to the window to look out.

She maintained that the kid was playing in the park.

She doesnt know the concept of fear and i have never seen her lie intentionally before. I doubt she knows what a lie is. It really scared me.

Is it possible kids imagine things and say it?

I got really scared. Its not a fiction or something, it just happened this evening!

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Is she very imaginative and creative?
    The first thought that came to my mind was that it was an imaginary friend, and she had a scenario going on in her mind.

3 people like this.
  3. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

True, Like you can see some kids correlate the cartoon characters being with them or themselves disguising as their favorite toon is a kind of imaginary play or a playing in disguise which is a absolutely common thing in child. May be she is pretending to have an imaginary friend.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

I would not call her imaginative for sure. I mean, so far she has not displayed any behavior of imaginative play. She plays with her toys and talks with them but not make up the whole thing.

I did hear the concept of imaginary frineds. I had been sick for 3 days now and could not take her out, even for grocery shopping. Is she so bored out of her mind for mere 3 days? Even in these 3 days, we did do some fun things together. Its not like she was left to fend for herself. And no, this is the first time she did something like this.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

She does have some favorite cartoons. Like Donald Duck. Is she imagining and really seeing them around?

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Wow!
    If she was indoors for three days, maybe the yearning to go outside made her express her feelings as seeing a child. I can imagine you being unnerved though!

3 people like this.
  7. Rakhii

I hope to God it is only the longing to go outside. Her dad is too busy these days. He was gone before we woke up and was coming very late at nights. I didnt want to take her out when I am sick (dont want to spread the germs, the town is filled with sickness as it is!). Maybe she is just too bored, I even gave her new toys everyday. Anyway, i have to take her out tomorrow for sure, whether I am up for it or not. Daycare is open, so I will drop her to play.

I had to do laundry today and the washer and dryer are in the basement. Jeez! I am scared to go. Lol.

1 person likes this.
  8. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii, One of my LO's pre school teacher was discussing about this with us a few months back. She was telling of an incident where a child pretend to have an imaginary baby sister and she used to play as if shes talking to some one right in front of her. the scared parents approached the paed and asked about it . On inquiring, the mom of the girl let the doc know that she had a abortion of their next baby. And that they used to talk about the unborn child previously. The paed. figured out the root cause of the girl's imaginary sister and said thats nothing to worry.
    The reason my LO's teacher was saying is that kids always have an ear over our conversation. Never mind they play in another corner of the room, their hearing is focused over us too. So pay constant attention on it and never discuss some things before them.

I feel theres nothing to keep you worried if shes just talking like that for the first time. dont ask or enquire about it to her further. Leave as such and ignore.

5 people like this.
  9. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

My 3yr old did something like this.She said there is someone in the room and wanted me to come and see.She told this couple of times,but different days.First time iam really scared.Later i tried to ignore her or divert her with rhymes and cartoons.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rakhii

Thanks Mathiravi. Actually, now that you say it, it occurs to me that maybe because of me she is saying it. I mean, I am pregnant with our second baby. In order to prepare her for the arrival of the baby, I at times tell her about the baby. Like, we read books about babies where elder sister takes care of the baby, plays with the baby, goes for a walk with the baby, plays with the baby in the park and that the baby is a part of our family now. etc etc. You get the gist right?

Is she imagining the baby? because she gets really excited that she can play with the baby once the baby is here.