1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

sending 8 month old to India

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Geminaa, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Geminaa

Geminaa New IL'ite

Hello to everyone!

I have a concern around sending my 8 months old baby to India with her grand parent for 1 month. We are working parents and therefore still not figured out a way to keep our kid with us for that 1 month. I understand that Its better to send her with her grandparent to India rather than sending her to day care when it comes to CARE. But my concerns are as below
    - I am not able to accept the fact of being separated from her for a month.
    - her grandmom cannot speak in English and has not traveled much in flight and she has to manage kid by herself.
    - how Will a 8 month old baby adjust to a different environment and weather (hot) all of a sudden. Also this is going to be her first travel.

- if my husband and l take all our paid leave we can still manage to keep her back but my husband is not ready to take responsibility of managing her alone at home by himself. I am frustrated that although we have a chance to keep her back my husband is not letting me do it as his mom had wished to keep the kid for some time with them in india.

I might be wrong in my way of thoughts but I am confused. Hence wanted to know what would you all be doing if you were in my situation. I am so worriedand pre occupied to leave her for a a month.

2. Geminaa

Geminaa New IL'ite

Also is there any other risks like health concerns that my baby might face if left in India during a hot weather period?

3. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

I dont know about others but I would never send my child who is so small to be away from me. A child needs love n care of a mother at least till one year. If possible try to take paid , or even unpaid leave.trust me , if there is a severe financial situation that you can't take leave then sending a baby in a day care is still better option than to send the baby so far off that you can't even see her daily! Dont mind but somehow I feel your husband is sending the baby to fulfill his mom's wish else managing a baby although difficult is not an impossible task .I know of my husband's manager, a indian guy who managed his 6 months old baby n worked from home so that his wife could be with her parents when her dad had cancer.

5 people like this.
  4. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I agree with cute monster, how can you send your 8 month old baby like this! best to use day care atleast half of the day you can spend with him !! I wud advise against sending ur kid like this !

5. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Geminna,

I don't think you should send your baby alone to India.your baby is better of with you.
    Baby will be better in a day care.If your husband wants the baby to be with his parents then better take leave and go along with them.

Why only one month?[​IMG]After one month how are both going to manage the baby.The same way manage her now also.Personally I will not send my baby anywhere without me

1 person likes this.
  6. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Why are you worrying about weather.Think of the stress baby and you will go through for one month.

1 person likes this.
  7. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

I am surprised as to how insensitive your DH is being towards you. He chooses to neglect the baby's mom's concerns and hesitation but is ready to fulfill his mom's wish?

Like a PP asked, me too wondering about the one month thing. Why one month and what happens after that??

2 people like this.
  8. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Sending a small baby to India , not a good idea at all. Day care is way better option.
    You will get to hold your baby at night. Just don't listen to your husband . Motherhood
    is a precious thing enjoy as much as you can. Why don't you suggest to your hubby
    that your inlaws can stay here one more month to take care of your baby. After one month you all will go to India together.

2 people like this.
  9. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Daycare is the best option when you think about CARE. Chose daycare carefully and send your baby there. At least you can spend sometime in the evening with baby and will love to see you at the end of the everyday. This way you are preparing your child for schooling too Dont worry about the CARE at daycare. Sending your 8months baby with a grandmom who cant speak english and travellingat least 10hours is absolutely wrong. Like this you are putting both of them at risk.

3 people like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Your mil is being most selfish and irresponsible in asking for such a small baby to be sent.Your husband is being a jerk overall(sorry...but that is the word that describes his behavior)

It is irresponsible to do this.Your child has one irresponsible parent...you need to be the responsible one.There comes a time when you need to fight for your child....this it it.Put your foot down and let your husband know you are the mother of the child.Do whatever...but don't send your child. You will regret it .

If nothing else works...find a day care centre close to your work place and visit it a few times during work hrs.

2 people like this.