1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parenting an only child vs two or more children - Your views

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by LotusAura, Jul 13, 2014.

1. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I'm observing that an increasing number of couples these days are opting to have only one child as compared to having two or more, for various reasons. Of course, it excludes those who're not blessed with this choice.
    It is interesting to observe this growing phenomenon; a budding generation with a sizable number of 'onlies'.

It would be enlightening to know your experiences and views about it. What factors made you go ahead with your decision (to have one or more kids, as the case may be). Your opinions will give different perspectives to those parents who're sitting on the fence about this important decision of life.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    3 people like this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I wanted at least two initially with a gap of about 2 years, but I had my first one rather late by choice. (Except the last year of trying!)

once my little one started growing up i don't want to slow down and lessen the focus I have on her now. Of course it is easier on the pocket too with respect to getting private education and extracurricular for her.

Now i surely don't want another one because I'm worried about the effects my age might have on the new baby. Again that would have an impact on my preschooler.

Frankly, my husband's and my siblings are all on different continents. While we are in touch, it is our wonderful friends circle that we fall back on for day to day support. I don't see why we or my DD need another child now.

7 people like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

1) Age is a main factor.

Many couples want to enjoy life to the max b4 having kids and hence wait for many years to have one.Imagine having a child around 33 or 34 and then having to go through
    everything all over again in next two years! It is just a lot!

2)Kids are a responsibility.

Not everyone wants to really have kids and have their lives changed.However,whether we like ir or not,coz of society pressure people have kids and many stop with one.

3) Fertility..

Many have health issues and probs conceiving.So after having a child,going through all of it all over again is very tough.

4) finance..

Financial constraints are a huge deal.So even if they want to have another one,it is tough.

5)Career-oriented..

Many women are career oriented and feel having more than one means prioritization needs to be made. It is tough to manage a full fledged career and have more than one kid which itself is a huge responsibility..

6) Health..

Due to health issues, some women stop with one child.

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST..

This is quite rare but there are some women like this too!

7) BEAUTY..

Some women do not want to lose their looks and body but going through a second pregnancy..It is not easy like celebrities who have all the help and money in the world to get their body in shape.Hence, going through all the hormonal changes and bodychanges is a risk quite few are not willing to take.

3 people like this.
  4. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

I agree. This is the crux of why a lot of couples don't want more than one child nowadays. The cost of living index has increased dramatically since the earlier generations, and so has the standard and quality of life. We all want to provide the best for our kids within our capabilities; whether it is time, attention, education, facilities or material comforts.

But I think another major reason, which is mostly applicable to nuclear families (especially those living abroad) is lack of the erstwhile joint-family /grand-parental support system in raising children where both parents are working. Quality/trustworthy childcare is expensive and not easily available at many places. It all compounds with more kids. Plus of course, men & women are getting married much later in life and having kids closer to the menopausal age of women. So all these factors definitely add up.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    3 people like this.
  5. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Brinda01, you have some very valid points. And your last point is not such a rare reason as you state; there are many women who dread the physical changes that pregnancy brings to our bodies.
    Also, I feel in general the domestic work threshold and related patience level has considerably decreased over time, whether women (or men) are working or not. All this compounded with the lack of (or expensive) childcare options, nuclear family set up, and both parents working is a major reason why many parents nowadays are choosing to be 'one and done'.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

In the begenning we wanted 2 kids. One biological and one adopted. After we had our first one, we started looking into our adoption procedures and it turns out, we dont qualify or there is a wait of up to 3 years and in the end there is no guarantee that we will get a healthy child (they could not match) and the cost involved was $35,000.
    So, we decided we cannot adopt and then thought, we will just have one.

More recently, we decided to have a second one when I (and DH) started seeing siblings playing in the park together with my M wanting to join but cannot. There is something about having a sibling! We have been trying for a second one for the past few months with no success.

We know its going to be hard financially. We wanted private or Montessori education for my daughter but if we have a second one, we cannot afford 2 private fees. So maybe we will go public. Other than that, I am not too sure what else to expect.
    I didnt look too much into this as I am not even pregnant yet.

7 people like this.
  7. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Shocking to hear it Rakhi. ! The expenditure for adopting a kid is 35,000 dollars ?!

More shocking is, the cost involved in adoption has made you and your DH to give up the idea of adopting !! This made me feel sad for a moment !

It is so easy in India to go for an adoption, legally. There will be some waiting period and some paper works. One doctor has to certify that both the couple are healthy enough and have longevity to rear the adopted kid.

Then, there would be a legal surety and a bond for few thousand rupees (50 dollars or so). That is it, one can bring the adopted baby home !

Meraa bharath mahaan ! (at least from the point of the view that India does not have scarcity in kids ) !!gigglingsmiley

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Yes Darmesh, cost involved was the main reason which stopped us from adopting. For international adoptions, there are several more rules/ restrictions/ guidelines to go through. More so because we already have a biological child. The questions raise as to why we want to adopt (given the number of people who abuse the children/rules etc). I respect that there are so many restrictions.

Our adoption counselor explained to us that its so expensive because the system wants to encourage only those couples who can really afford (whatever that means). Rules are rules, however lopsided they are. The investigation pretty much ripped my home apart (apart from other things).

So, yes, its sad and in a way its good because this means, the government (both Canadian and Indian) are making 100% sure that parents are ready and that we are a good match. Turns out $35,000 was way too much for me to afford out of pocket.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

I have two kids with two year age difference.
    Motivation for the second kid is my own relationship with my sibling, and my DH's relationship with his siblings. I never regretted having a sibling, in fact the years have only redefined and strengthened the relationship . Same with my DH. Their relationship is still as thick as it was before. One for all and all for one. That doesn't mean that there are no squabbles. There are squabbles, and we get over it pretty quickly. I think initial learning of "forget and forgive philosophy" is from sibling relationshiphugsmiley.

For me, first year of having second kid was not so easy. Some days was crazy to be honest. But after the first year, life became very easy. Now, one is 5 years and other is 3. They do a lot of stuff together, like playing, blocks,the first one read aloud the books for second one. Both have same circle of friends too :))- Now as I type this post, both of them are coloring. One is coloring in left page of the coloring book, and other is doing the right page:). It is like the hutch dog ad "wherever you go, I will follow you" . Since one is a girl and other a boy, I am sure that as they grow their interests and thought process will be different. Till then I plan to enjoy :)

-Nitha

12 people like this.
  10. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

That was quite moving Rakhii! And I felt sad for the child who missed out on becoming family to such loving, thoughtful parents as you are. But such is life! I agree though, financial viability has become one of the foremost reasons for parents (fertile, able, healthy) to stop at one child.

1 person likes this.