1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

vacation ideas......help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Jun 30, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

Can you suggest me some vacation ideas?We are planning a 3 day getaway!
    My first vacation in 3 yrs!Nothing big though:))

The thing is we have two active hyper toddlers.we do not want to fly.we are planning to drive for max 8 hours..

I am right now in nyc.

Do suggest me some spots except for Niagara falls,washington dc, shenendoah valley,
    atlantic city,lake george or boston.

I know it is very very difficult to suggest one but if there Is anything else we have left,do let us know.thx.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, yay for the vacation!
    In all honesty, please be a little bit more specific as you have pretty much accessible to many places! Do you like beaches or its going to be hard with the toddlers? What ever you decide, decide on an all-inclusive resort where you dont have to lift a finger to cook!

2 people like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

have a fun vacation op!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Did you decide some where..we are also planning on driving distance from NJ but looks like all hotels are fully occupied.

I have shortlisted few attractions if nothing work out btw my DD is 3.5 year old and overactive-

1. Point Pleasant beach (one day trip)
    2. Baltimore and Delaware - DC can also be covered but we have been earlier so not considering(but we will consider staying there for a night as we never this long one day trip with DD)
    3. Philly (to cover Camden, storyland and Hershey)
    4.Rhode Iceland

2 people like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thank raakhi,brinda and priya:)

Hi priya..I heard Camden is dangerous..make sure about it?
    Hershey is awesome..

Hmm..I know the only option to see good places it to fly:) Miami,hawaii..dying to go there!

when does vacation feel like one with kids?at what age?

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Mine started feeling like a vacation when mine was 18 months old. I mean, before too we traveled but really started having fun at 18 months. That was a trip to Mexico (Cancun). We went for a week, full 7 days and LOVED it. Since then, we had been having fun and she is now 2.5 years old.

1 person likes this.
  7. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

If your visa status allows, I'd highly encourage you to plan a flight, road trip or ferry up to French Canada specifically to Montreal and Quebec City (try to stay in a hotel near/inside Old Quebec City). It's like suddenly being transported to France where everyone speaks french and even the streets are in french (we relied on our GPS and my limited French skills for this).

:) The people are super nice as are the restaurants. The shopping is AMAZING. The history is eyeopening (get a walking tour of Old Quebec City). The whole city is very scenic and artsy.

Montreal is a treat, too. Cobble stone streets, beautiful architecture, horse-chariots and do make a point of visiting the Basilica du Notre Dame which is inspired by the very famous Cathedral du Notre Dame in France (the setting for the famous story of Hunchback of Notre Dame...which was also made into a Disney Movie). Basilica du Notre Dame has an amazing light show that you absolutely should not miss. Again, shopping is awesome here :) I've come across flight stewardesses who make it a point to fly to Montreal just to shop.

You can easily make a 3 day trip out of this. If hotels are overpriced, consider Airbnb and getting a whole apartment or home to yourselves.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

We also visiting Montreal next month. Is it worth visiting Quebec City too, I heard its a day trip. I am looking forward to the undergound shopping!! and the restaurants. This will be my first long trip with my 7 month old, we'll see how it goes (its a 4hr drive).

thanks,
    Cooks.

1 person likes this.
  9. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

To OP, how about visiting Cape Code or NH (white mountains) or Vermont. You can also go to thousand islands (western NY). How about Saratoga Springs (Albany area), you can take the Saratoga and North Creek railway train ride. Also ocean city in maryland area (beach).

If your flying, then Myrtle beach, fort lauderdale/key west.

Cooks.

1 person likes this.
  10. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hey

Would you mind sharing your Itinerary for 7days ?

And if we have valid h1b and h4 do we need separate visa as tourists ?

Is it a safe place for tourists ? Do people there talk english ?