1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do to be a special Mom

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by DrPreetha, Feb 28, 2014.

1. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Hai ILites,

Before even having my kid delivered I used to plan myself that I will write down what all he does for me to cherish remembering or indeed to show him how much we love and care for him..This I decided not only to recollect in future,it may also help him to know what all he had crossed ,to make himself confident enough in some way,to love us in future :) etc etc...But these days i hardly get time to write down...I do record as a video his milestones,his naughtiness,playing with his favorite toy etc but i feel letters speak more than videos...My Colleague has noted every incident down in a manner like the child narrates the happenings (like I got a new cot plus swing today it was my favorite colored cot ).My parents recorded our voices,myself and my sister fighting,chatting..One of my friend, a psychologist ,says she makes her daughter everyday to sit with a book and pen,or read to her sharply at 7pm everyday for an hour,right when the baby was 2yrs old itself..now her 6yr old doesn't fight with her for homeworks,sharply at 7 starts to do it.
    What I wanted to know from you is tell me if you are really a special mom and what is 'that' extra thing you do for your child to be unique.

I request all moms to come up with suggestions for other moms to get boosted ...whatever you may do doesn't matter just imagine this is for moms in future.I dont know whether any thread with such discussions where there..this is a question that constantly wakes me and require your suggestions :)

1 person likes this.

2. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

i had a baby book for my son... but i couldnt complete it thoroughly...

i do write a diary for him... but missed couple of months lately.. i will catchup on that in no time... i will give it to him when he is 6,7 yrs old...

3 people like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Oh! I wanted to write to my DD, who is now nearly 3, regularly but it didn't work out well. I have a blog where I document her cheekiness sometimes pictures and videos - rather sporadically. It serves the purpose of keeping our parents and siblings up-to-date as well. The comments there from our loved ones is the best part. We have 2 sessions everyday after which we also discuss what we just read. Also play 2 board games everyday. Over the weekend, there is no restriction on the number of books we read to her. I have been reading classic poems to her before she dozes off in a calm rhythmic manner. I'm on a mission to be nice and courteous always which was difficult at times during the last year. I still strive. She seems ok; we mustn't be doing so badly after all!

5 people like this.
  4. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

I have done baby book for my son
    I am doing it for y daughter

I play, read and take them out...sometime only me and my son..sometimes me my son and daughter..when ever I have time..my DH does his share too

I NEVER break a promise with kids nor tell white lies, even tiny ones...I just tell them what it is. I say them bye when I leave for work and say I will be back...I wont sneak away

5 people like this.
  5. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

I like most of you had the best intentions to write all the funny stories, favorite toys and stubborn streaks but life got in the way and I have half filled baby books for both kids. I have saved some of their baby clothes, booties and fav. blankets.

For last 12 years I have been scrapbooking so that's how I am saving all these memories. We have albums and albums full of pictures and stories to go with them which I have scrapbooked over the years. My children enjoy looking at these scrapbooks and I enjoy making them.

Now for being that special mom---well not sure how special I am :queen but I have very open relationship with my children. DD will tell me things she will not even tell her bff. They both automatically come to me if faced with any challenge.

We are so far from family and miss the festivities so I make sure I make a big deal ( special dinner/decorate the house, table set up etc.) for even small celebrations.

I leave notes in their rooms for them to read when they get back from school :)

I am honest and doesn't hesitate to admit my mistakes & apologize.

7 people like this.
  6. sheesta

sheesta Bronze IL'ite

I have diary and thought of writing it daily but that never happens.I write after couplo of months.
    I was wondering about scrapbook. Can anyone tell from where to get scrapbook and what memories to put in it.
    Thanks

1 person likes this.
  7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Sheesta Scrapbooking if using material( paper and album) which will not yellow 20 years from now and will preserve your pictures. You use decorative paper along with other things to tell the story behind the pictures. You can scrapbook your vacation pictures, every day pictures what ever suits you.

Go to Twopeasinabucket and look at their gallery.

1 person likes this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

We started reading to our little boy when he was still a fetus. I've a pic ofmy husband reading to our newborn in the hospital. We read together everyday. This is our before bedtime ritual and on weekends ee read several times a day because our little reader brings his favorite books to us. He is 16 months and it's amazing how much he comprehends. We go for walks together, cook and play together. Our house has very large, open kitchen and that helps a lot for us to do everything together. Unless it is necessary, we fon't check our phones or make calls, no web browsing until baby goes to bed. My husband and I always make sure to say please and thank you and our little one has starting saying please a lot. We respect his opinion and wishes, like this morning, he asked me to put his rain boots on instead of shoes, so he wore his boots to the babysitter and we packed his pair of shoes if he wznted to change later. I have never yelled at him even when I am very tired and all I want is to get good nights sleep, my dh pitches in when I'm very tired and gives me a break. It's super cute when he gives us kisses before going to bed (and randomly throughout the day) without asking for one. Our undivided attention is the only special thing we do.

9 people like this.
  9. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Great Breeze,
    lovely that you would give him by 7...I decided to give him little later may be by 16 or older...But these days it is impossible to keep a pin without his knowledge,Imagine then a diary that too colorful one ..Thank you for your immediate response..You write his daily happenings there?

1 person likes this.
  10. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

Hai guesshoo,
    Your 3 yr old sits to hear what you read..Thats really great..I wonder how you could be nice to your dd always? I loose patience often..Later when i regret i say apologies to him.Thanks for your post.When i read he wants the book himself and dosent let me to turn pages,always sticks to the 1st page.Board games i have not yet tried.Thanks for being a mini guide too.Do posting :)