1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to manage household work and baby at same time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by jas12, Feb 1, 2013.

1. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

Hi il,
    I have a 15 month old kid and he doesnt allow me to do any work...he is more attached to me than anyone else...he usually sleeps 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the noon..
    At that time I used to wash clothes..by the time I finish washing he would get up...after he woke up he doesnt allow me to do any work..eg like wasing dishes in the zinc..he keeps on crying if I didnt attend him....

I put some toys in front of him and start to work he follows me everywhere I go and keep crying..so that I can't do any work...

How u all il mange to balance both work and baby? If I ask my dh to help he says every mom is looking their kids all alone...y cant u manage alone..I feel stressed and angry and decided not to ask him anymore...kindly give some ideas how to balance both without looking anybody for help...

2. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Allow him to mingle with kids.. watch tv, give some papers with pics and books(of course shud be big enuf such that he doesnt swallow)...

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

i used to wake up an hour before baby & cook food for hubby's tiffin & myself before baby woke up.........once he was awake i would spend time with him......after 1 hr or so in which i would sit near him,have my b'fast,feed him ,play with him,massage him I would carry him to bathroom ,fill his tub with water & let him play as i would handwash the clothes(i used to handwash hubby's shirts & baby clothes,rest went into machine)keep eye on him,sing for him & finish my washing.....then dress him up,put him in stroller & wheel him outside to terrace & hang clothes to dry..........i would ocassionally sprinkle some drops of water on him,which he loved,constantly chatter with him like its Papa's blue shirt or look at that nice bird so on...........

then I had maid for cleaning but if maid was not coming i would let him sit infront on TV & do dusting ,sweeping,mopping but keep on coming to see him every 5-7 mins......if he was not settling I would leave the work as the child is more important then work.......finish as much as possible & then lie down with him on bed as he would climb over me or pull my hairs or so on....i would read my book,tickle him in between,get him something to eat & so on...........soon he was ready to sleep & I would finish chopping vegs for evening,do whatever was left & go & rest with him

in my personal experience i have seen that baby's/toddlers sleep for longer hours in afternoon if Mom is sleeping with them.......

evening ,i would take him out for walk,come home,give him something to eat,let him sit in kitchen floor,bang my pots & pans & I would finish my cooking.........chappatis I woul make when hubby was home & playing with baby........

I short,involve baby in household work........

5 people like this.
  4. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Make him play on a mat in the kitchen floor while you work in the kitchen and give the kid a few vessels and curry leaves, beans etc and ask the kiddo to cook.

Then fake eat it and praise cooking skills. It will motivate him to play the game.

Every time I cook, my dd still cooks in her own kitchen. (plastic stove, plastic vessels and few plastic vegetables and fruits).

1 person likes this.
  5. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Hire a maid, at least for washing clothes and utensils.

6. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Jas, if possible get up little bit early than him and try to accomplish some of the important tasks which you cant do when he is around.
    Give him different variety of things for him to play with,like small vessels like spoon,plates,sometimes books,toys,so that he would be interested in playing.
    Try to do some easy tasks like folding clothes,chopping when he is around by just talking with him and playing with him.Do these works by standing.If you sit, your little man doesnt allow you to do :)..

common, its just a phase, once he grows up, he would be very busy to be with his mom all the time...then you have to please him to stay back with you while he is flying along with his friends for playing :)

7. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

Hi Jas,

Even I'm a mother of 15 months old baby girl . I've a maid for cleaning and laundry.
    I do all other household chores and i involve her also with all the things i do .

I take her with me when i'm in kitchen .my kitchen is very small to accomodate her toys ... but she loves to play with the vessels .... so i keep the lower shelf neat and tidy with safe and colourful vesels . she also plays with the masala bottles in the rack(i keep the chilly powder away frm her and make sure that they r tightly closed ) or with the onions/potatoes in the other rack . and i keep on talking to her while doing cooking.so now she learned the names of some veggies - onion,tomato,potato etc ...and coloures too

then we'll have our breakfast and play time. by 12 noon my maid will come and i finish my shower and some other work when the maid is around . and then i'll feed lunch and we both play for sometime and take a nap.

I my self handwash my baby's clothes .and we both do it together . by 4 pm i oil massage her and take her with me to the bathroom. i wash the clothes when she is playing with her bath time toys in water.i give her a bath after finishing my washing and we both will go to terrus and hang clothes to dry and then we'll have a walk/play/gardening/snacks time . afteer coming back i do my evening prayers with her . then we both cook dinner together(when i do chappathies,i give her a little dough to play) and by the time we finish , dh will be home . After dinner, its her daddy time and i enjoy with my own things. music,browsing,chatting etc .

I make sure that she dont get bored at al.bought her many toys,motor,musical,animal toys,big beads,a small play kitchen and stalking rings etc etc.(she dnt like soft toys) .kept them in 2 big baskets. she loves to pull one by one from the baskets . kept the news papers and magazines in the lower shelf so that she can play with that ( you know most of the babies prefer all these than their toys ) .so she will be engaged with something or other , even if i cant take her with me to the kitchen .

So this is our routine and some days she'll b in bad mood and wont let me to do anywork (.it happens very rarely.) and i try to calm her down and do my work after that .

So you may also do something like this...involve him in all the works you do. I'm sure he'll love that .

1 person likes this.
  8. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

Kids come to our house and play with him...but the thing is he plays with them for a moment and next minute he searches for me....as usual he follows me everywhere. And he put everything in the mouth like paper etc...so cant leave him unattended.

9. jas12

jas12 Senior IL'ite

I have maid for washing and cleaning utensils...I dont have any problems regarding that....I used to wash his clothes while he is sleeping and prepare his food too.

The problem is while he is awake he dont even allow me to fold clothes, clean the kitchen etc...he always want me to attend him ...if I want to grind inmixi I used to carry him in one hand and grind in another hand....if I didnt attend him he keeps on crying which is very disturbing for me to do work..

He plays with toys and watch tv but I should sit with him while he is playing. If I slowly move from that place he follows me like hutch dog ..he he he..

10. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

kids do follow their moms.......both i kids would not let me bathe alone........they needed to sit near me........it was nuisance ...........still i managed by overcoming my shyness.

your son may be scared of mixie sound(mine was scared of pressure cooker whistle)so when the whistle would blow i would hug him tighty........then with geat difficulty leave him to go to reduce flame(later i learned the trick of cooking everything on very low flame so that there is no whistle)...........

when he is laying with toys u bring the clothes to be folded near him & finish them as he is busy playing......