1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son suffers from ADHD,please advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by SM11870, Sep 27, 2011.

1. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Dear Frnds,

My son is 1.5 yr old and suffers from ADHD.He is hyperactive and hardly concentrates in any one activity.He is not interested to learn anything.He is not eating with his hands even.Doctors asked me to encourage him to talk but he hardly sits with me so that i can teach.I am a working mother but now i have taken leave from office to look after him.Kindly guide me how to teach him basic things like potty, eating,mama-papa etc.

Need help on urgent basis.

Shruti

2. suryayasaswini

suryayasaswini Silver IL'ite

Hi
    Have u consulted any psychologist, so that he will guide. Like therapies n all.

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    formal diagnosis is usually done only after the child is 5 yrs of age. If your child is 1.5 yrs old then the behaviors you describe are age appropriate. Don't make him sit to teach-instead give him plenty of opportunities to play. This is the age of incidental learning-thru play and exploration. If you were asked to talk-you just have to use short, descriptive sentences about whatever activity the two of you are engaged in-use your voice to highlight words, express feeling, etc. Even if he hasn't started talking he just needs to have plenty of opportunities to develop his receptive language skills. Keep it purposefull and don't over load him. And enjoy your kid. Kids do pick up on parents' anxiety...unless there is something significantly more than your descriptionof your concerns, he sounds like any other kid.
    r

sindmani and ILoveTulips like this.
  4. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Thanx all for ur replies.i have been asked to contact a psychologist and I am in the process.Lets see what happens......

Shruti

5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

You said your son is 1.5years old...and you are going to take him to a psychologist? Do you see other concerns like self stimulating or repeptitive behavior? I'm puzzled...will you keep us posted on what your psychologist says? Thanks,
    R

sindmani likes this.
  6. inlovewithmylyf

inlovewithmylyf Platinum IL'ite

Teacher, can u please tell me what causes ADHD??? I don't know n thts th reason m asking... Please answer me if u know the cause... Thanks!!

7. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Teacher,

I spoke to a psychologist today and was talking about all the information I have gathered from net. lets see what he says on meeting.actually he was diagnosed by two doctors,so we are worried and both of them are renowned doctors of the town,one being a Padma awardee from President Kalam.lets hope for the best.

shruti

8. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI,
    All the best for your dr.'s visit. My question was more about what they have to say-a kid can be hyperative for various reasons other than ADHD (which usually comes to the fore at school going age).
    Take care,
    r

9. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Hi

FOr ADHD try to avoid lot of sugar ( esp refined sugar ) and sweet stufff .They kids get over agitated and hyper and sugar .Don't worry it gets better with age .he will be very talented and intelligentin grasping things .The only problem will be his attention span .He needs to be in environment where he gets good and constant attention try to out hin in a montessori school after he gets around 2 years .Montessori method helps a lot for the ADHD kids because they get to work on their own pace and they touch and feel the things that they learn

Good Luck :thumbsup.Don't worry he will be fine

sindmani likes this.
  10. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

I don't know about India, but in USA, kids, especially boys are mis-diagnosed for having ADHD, when in fact, boys are acting like boys, i.e. rambunctious, running around, etc.

Of course, a lot of refined foods, sugary stuff, can cause ADHD.

If you son actuallly has ADHD and when he gets older, you're going to have to be blunt and loving with him.

If you are tutoring him, and he looses concentration, make him stand and pay attention.

Also, allow him breaks to play and run around.

And allow him to explore his interests, and have other hobbies.

Oh, and make sure study time is fun time.

There are some educational videos (when your son gets older), which teach all sorts of subjects. They are so interesting, even adults view them:

khanacademy's Channel - YouTube