1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Credit points system I used for my elder son at home.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Anvitha, May 10, 2011.

1. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

While I was talking to my friend about my sons credit point system I have put up at home, she suggested me to share it with IL also.

Here is how it goes.
    · I started this basically for my elder son from his 6th class.
    · I hanged a slate in his room. it has some points on it. let’s say 100 points I started with.
    · Whenever he does a good thing some points will add up and we will write them on slate.
    · The vice versa will also happen like if he does a wrong thing some points will go off.

for example

credits
    · He helped me a lot at home, he behaved very well that day etc all comes under good things
    ( I was carrying and with small kid all in his 7<sup>th</sup> and 8<sup>th</sup> classes. Helping me counts a lot.)
    · of course his education also gives him credits like wherein he gets good marks, good feedback from teachers on parents day meeting etc all comes under credit

Debits

Debit comes into picture when , sometimes if he doesn’t listen to us on very important things, telling lies(only one time). Playing more time on computer than stipulated time, being lazy etc.

One thing i remember the most when we were not there he opened the fridge and removed all the ice with a knife which ultimately made a hole in the freezer box and we had to change it. i removed 100 pts for that.

I must say he is a very good boy and mostly he used to get credits only.

And coming to the next part what does he do with the points?
    He can redeem it for anything he wants to buy or to sanction anything for him which he likes etc.

Other ways to get points
    He used to bring recommendations also from my parents, my siblings and my father in law, mostly to add points. I had to add some points when they told out of respect.

Now

He finished +2 (senior inter) and still follows the system even if he is staying in hostel now.

Good thing is he mostly redeems all for his fiction and nonfiction books. He is a voracious reader all together. For him just it should be a book whatever it is on doesn’t matter for him to read and wants to buy and also on games cds.

My younger one is bit mischievous but Iam still hoping that I can implement the same for him also from his 6<sup>th</sup> class.

any fb on this is most welcome

sindmani likes this.

2. NithinSrinivas

NithinSrinivas Senior IL'ite

Very nice to hear about the credit system... :thumbsupWish my mom cud have implemented this for me n my sis.. :)
    Also I guess it wud be pretty interesting to have someone for the competition as well..at homes where there are 2 kids...in tat way the kids wud behave more courteously to out-win the other...Let me suggest this to my sis as she has 2 at home..
    As of now...my son is only 3...so guess I can't have this in place now...but will for sure have it in my mind.. :)

3. Anvitha

thanks Nithin for the first fb.
    and yes as you rightly said it will be more effective among 2 kids at home at the same time.
    But I dint had that chance. There is a much gap between my kids.

4. SujiR

SujiR New IL'ite

Hi Anvitha,
    Thank you for sharing this.It's a wonderful thing that you did for your kids.I'm sure they turned out to be fine individuals.
    Just curious to know how you managed to allot credits for non academic activities,like did you give behaviour priority over academics?Because that will be more useful for life isnt it?
    It's just a feedback,no offense meant.
    You are doing a great job as a mother.
    God bless.

5. Anvitha

thanks sujiR and I welcome all such questions form all as I could not write the entire 7 years at once.

I gave more priority to behavior and we doesn't put more pressure on academics, marks etc. (he is shining well though in that front.)

but surely i can see the result that he is a nice soul now.

i gave good credits to him when he does mistakes and admits to me, instead of lying .

he will share anything with me now, even if he does anything wrong also so that we can guide them nicely without shouting or using other offensive acts.
    Teens are too sensitive and its very imp to create a good rapport with them and this system helped me a lot in gaining that.

6. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Even I have implemented this at my home for my boys…from past 4 years.
    Best age to start this is when child is 10+ years.But at my home younger one also followed this after seeing his elder brother following it.(younger one was only 6 at that time)This I have started after reading an article in a magazine by an educationalist to motivate children to be responsible and independent by implementing points system in the family.

Each plus point 1aed(aed:currency here) added and for each negative point 1 aed deducted.These cash reward are added monthly to their piggy account.
    In this way they learn value for money as well as importance of saving too.Plus they will learn values like right and wrong.

Plus points are given for independent school work,(homework,project..)helping in house hold chores like arranging dining table,watering plants,keeping their room clean,arranging shoe rack for their school and sports shoes,arranging their library(story books,tinkle collection ..) etc,helping others(freinds,neighbours etc)
    Negative points for negligence, for losing any valuable stationery,misbehaviour with sibling, or any bad words used in conversation during play time, exceeded time in playing play station/videogames/hooked on pc etc

This method will bring children closer to you,they share everything with you like their best friend.My children are very understanding and responsible and a great support to me as I am working too
    Rgds

sindmani likes this.
  7. Anvitha

hi soumedh,

good to see that the you implemented the same. and thanks for sharing it.

me too is a working mom in IT filed from almost 12 years now,

we have to find such methods to bring them up in all aspects as no much time to spend with them. any ways kids also have no time now a days.

I generally read books extensively but i do not remember one such thing exactly in any book. i just generally started it and my son also liked it to follow.

me started this for my elder one at his 9 years. will see how and when my younger one starts on this.

8. rpriya2004

rpriya2004 New IL'ite

Hi

it is nice to read this article.... i wish to implement this for my daughter also when she grows older,now she is 2 yr old

thanks for sharing

priya

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Anvitha,

i recently followed something similar for my 6 yr old. He was using certain words like 'stupid, hate, bad' constantly on his sister, to us if we were strict etc., it was annoying and giving me such negative vibes. i tried many ways. then one day i told him i'll write down these words on the board. he's allowed to utter them (all put together) maximum 4 times in a day. when he says the 5th time he himself will pick up his favourite toy and we'll deposit in the dustbin. i did only for 2 days (he never reached the maximum limit on both days). and after that he stopped using them. this was like a miracle. this system really works... when we tell children what to do and what not to do they think we're constantly nagging them. but when they see results, either positive or negative, it encourages them to realise their mistakes and do better.

10. Anvitha

that is very true traveller, your idea is also good which can be implemented to even smaller ones and later you can broaden the scope.

thanks for liking it and really this generation children will follow us when we go in a bit different way else they doesnt take at all.

sindmani likes this.