1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kids questions on beggars

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Ranise, May 3, 2011.

1. Ranise

Ranise Junior IL'ite

My daughter is 4 and half years now and has started becoming very inquisitive about what she sees around her and asks a lot of questions.

One question which keeps coming back these days is about beggars - she asks questions like - what are they asking for, why are they asking for money etc etc.

While I need to answer all her questions to satisfaction, I also need to balance my answers to make sure that while she understands why people are begging, she doesn't start thinking that it is a right thing to do.

Also if I tell her that begging is a bad thing, I am worried that she will not learn to sympathize with the poor. How do I give her these balanced answers ? I am sure I can rely on you experienced mom's !.

Regards
    Rani

2. Ranise

Ranise Junior IL'ite

37 views and not a single FB !! :-( .....

3. Ranise

Ranise Junior IL'ite

On Beggars

My 4 and half year old daughter has started becoming very inquisitive these days about what she sees around and asks a lot of questions.

One question which keeps coming back these days is about beggars - she asks questions like - what are they asking for, why are they asking for money etc etc.

While I need to answer all her questions to satisfaction, I also need to balance my answers to make sure that while she understands why people are begging, she doesn't start thinking that it is a right thing to do.

Also if I tell her that begging is a bad thing, I am worried that she will not learn to sympathize with the poor. How do I give her these balanced answers ? I am sure I can rely on you ladies !.

NB : I posted this in the Parenting section, but could not get responses..

4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi ranise,
    reading a thread does not mean people are obliged to reply.........sometimes others also need the answer to the question u have posted and they want to check whether the thing u have asked matches their query........

u can answer the kid according to situation.........if i see handicap person i may say he did not get education or has not acquired any talent which made him earn this way...........if i see old person i may say that now that they are old their body is not capable to work & hence they are forced to beg...........or may try to impart lesson like if we see child beggar i may say that the child has got lost from parents & hence its very important to stay near parents in crowded place.............or if old beggar is there i may say that he did not go to school hence had no jobor did not save when he was young or something...........
    as i rule i never give alms to children or fit people or sadhus & may give harsh answer to my child (6 yr old)like they are purely lazy & don't want to work so are begging.............

pragati

sindmani likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Re: On Beggars

Rainse,

You can explain to her that they are begging for money because they are unfortunate. They do not have money to eat, drink, wear good clothes etc. Explain how disadvantaged they are without the basic necessities. Tell her that it is not a nice thing to have to beg.

Explain to her how fortunate people like us are that we have good food to eat, clothes to wear, and a home to live in. Tell her that to be able to get all this, one has also got to work hard, study well, get a good job and earn money (not beg).

I think she will understand if you put this in words that she can comprehend.

All the best. :thumbsup

sindmani likes this.
  6. Ranise

Ranise Junior IL'ite

Pragati, thanks for your response.

Yes, its true that we should not encourage people who look fit and fine but yet are into begging.

Thanks again.

7. croco

croco New IL'ite

Hi Rani,
    Even i'm facing Qs like this...and at times it is difficult to answer...

I tell my son "These people are poor and don't have enough money to buy their food, cloths and basic necessity"