1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

28 month old sick all the time with cold

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by vidukarth, Apr 5, 2011.

1. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I have a 28 month old daughter who is sick for the last 2 months. So much of congestion in lungs. She is constantly on antibiotics for the last 2 months but nothing seems to help her.She goes to a home day care where there are not many kids. Everytime she goes to bed, she sweats a lot on her head and her hair is wet. So i dry it immediately. But after she sleeps she doesn't sweat anymore. We live in USA and in a cold place. I am really worried.
    I am really not happy with the doctors here. They don't give any medicine initially until it aggravates to ear infection or bad sinus infection. I feel if they give it at the very start of the symptoms, it would not go that bad.
    Earlier atleast, when she was on antibiotics she would get well soon. But these days that is not happening. Nothing seems to help her.

Please provide any good suggestions.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Vidu, since no one responded, let me try and explain what may be the problem. When my husband initially relocated to a very cold place, this was the problem. So, I am not sure if this could apply for an infant, but let me try anyway.

1. Mold: Have you checked your windows/doors etc properly and seen that there is no mold built anywhere?
    2. Do you have pets? perhaps she is being allergic to pets/peanuts/lactose in milk etc? Do you see a pattern?
    3. how clean are you carpets and couches? I mean...when was the last time you have gotten a steam-clean done for the carpet?
    4. Are you switching on humidifier too often? maybe she is just not getting used to that humidifier (I fall sick immediately with that).

Lastly...has her diet changed recently?

See if you can answer positive to all these questions. If not, try addressing that and see if the situation improves.

3. vidukarth

Hi Rakhii,

Thank you very much. To answer your questions:

1. Mold: Have you checked your windows/doors etc properly and seen that there is no mold built anywhere?
    - I am not sure, but i see some spots somewhere.. we have been in this place for almost 3 years now. But she doesn;t have any problems when she is at home. My mom came to take care of her. she was fine then.
    2. Do you have pets? perhaps she is being allergic to pets/peanuts/lactose in milk etc? Do you see a pattern?
    - No pets. I started giving curd for her more recently. Not sure if that is the reason.
    3. how clean are you carpets and couches? I mean...when was the last time you have gotten a steam-clean done for the carpet?
    We don't get it to clean often. may once in 2 - 2.5 weeks. Since both of us work, it is getting really hectic.
    4. Are you switching on humidifier too often? maybe she is just not getting used to that humidifier (I fall sick immediately with that).
    Yes, we do use humidifier because doctor recommends us.

4. Rakhii

Please see my response in blue above. Also check with the day care Vidu. Is someone bringing a cat or a dog when they come to pick up their children? Maybe she is petting the cat/dog and you are not aware of it?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Vidu,
    With the heater on, the air becomes too dry and dry air leads to cold and cough too. Buy a humidistat to know when to switch on the humidifier(and when not to), it is available at walmart and costs less than $10.
    Antibiotics will increase her resistance level, so as she keeps taking a particular dosage of antibiotics, her body will get accustomed to it and the next time she has a cold, the doctor might have to give her a higher dose as the lower dose given previously might have less or no effect after some time. That's how antibiotics work and is not a long term solution.
    Did you try the vaporizers which come with the vicks liquid? You can try the waterless vaporizer or the water based ones which act as warm mist humidifiers too. I have seen many reviews about vaporizers being effective in relieving all cold symptoms for infants especially. Check out!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  6. vidukarth

1. Mold:
    - I am not sure, but i see some spots somewhere.. we have been in this place for almost 3 years now. But she doesn;t have any problems when she is at home. My mom came to take care of her. she was fine then.
    OK so mold may not be the problem then.
    2. Do you have pets?
    - No pets. I started giving curd for her more recently. Not sure if that is the reason.
    What milk is she having? Did you see if she is lactose intolerant? I have known a few people who cannot take curd but they are OK with milk. check with her doctor and see what she says about this lactose intolerance.

Yeah she is did not have any problems with milk. I make curd from the same milk that we drink. We buy whole food organic milk mostly or any organic milk and make curd out of that.
    3. how clean are you carpets and couches?
    We don't get it to clean often. may once in 2 - 2.5 weeks. Since both of us work, it is getting really hectic.
    Vidu, I did not mean vacuuming the place dear. I meant that proper steam cleaning. You will need to rent this cleaner from Home Depot or any other local store. If you live in an apartment, check with your maintenance guys about this. It is recommended that we get a steam cleaning done (especially when we have kids running around in home) at least once in 6 months.
    Sure will check on this. thank you very much.
    Yes, we do use humidifier because doctor recommends us.
    Pediatrician recommended that, we leave it running for the entire night.
    Her doctor or your doctor Vidu? Please see my response in blue above. Also check with th

7. vidukarth

Dear navs23,

Thanks, we keep the heat at 72 or 74 depending on how cold it is. Ours is centralised and unless we keep it at 74, our bedroom is very cold. We have humidity level indicator, but did not check on that. May be should do that.

Will check on the vaporizers. Thank you very much.

8. Rakhii

just one more thing Vidu...see if you are seeing any fine layer of dust anywhere. I am referring to the fact that sometimes heating vents exude some dust which kids can take badly.

9. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

try some home remedies like, warma little coconut oil and mix powdered camphor in it and keep rubbing on her chest, lungs, nose, back frequently....this will definitely show some change

10. vidukarth

Sure... thanks to all for your replies. I sometimes feel that we should shift home to a new place...