1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas to encourage to quit smoking

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by lajjanarain, Dec 20, 2009.

1. lajjanarain

lajjanarain New IL'ite

hi to all,

We are married for last 5 years and blessed with 1 yr beautiful daughter.
    My husband is passive smoker having 6 to 7 cigg per day....i want him to quit. Doctor has also advised to stop smoking as its harmful for his present condition of health.

Anybody plz lemme know suggestions i'll be thankful to u guys.

Plz help....:idea

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Does he know this? Taken from ACS :: Guide to Quitting Smoking....

Years of life lost due to smoking

Based on data collected in the late 1990s, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that adult male smokers lost an average of 13.2 years of life and female smokers lost 14.5 years of life because of smoking. And given the diseases that smoking can cause, it can steal your quality of life long before you die. Smoking-related illness can limit your activities by making it harder to breathe, get around, work, or play.

Why quit now?
    No matter how old you are or how long you've smoked, quitting can help you live longer and be healthier. People who stop smoking before age 50 cut their risk of dying in the next 15 years in half compared with those who keep smoking. Ex-smokers enjoy a higher quality of life with fewer illnesses from cold and flu viruses, better self-reported health, and reduced rates of bronchitis and pneumonia.

For decades the Surgeon General has reported the health risks linked to smoking. In 1990, the Surgeon General concluded:
    • Quitting smoking has major and immediate health benefits for men and women of all ages. These benefits apply to people who already have smoking-related disease and those who don't.
    • Ex-smokers live longer than people who keep smoking.
    • Quitting smoking lowers the risk of lung cancer, other cancers, heart attack, stroke, and chronic lung disease.
    • Women who stop smoking before pregnancy or during the first 3 to 4 months of pregnancy reduce their risk of having a low birth-weight baby to that of women who never smoked.
    • The health benefits of quitting smoking are far greater than any risks from the small weight gain (usually less than 10 pounds) or any emotional or psychological problems that may follow quitting.
    When smokers quit -- What are the benefits over time?
    20 minutes after quitting: Your heart rate and blood pressure drops.
    (Mahmud A, Feely J. Effect of Smoking on Arterial Stiffness and Pulse Pressure Amplification. Hypertension. 2003;41:183.)
    12 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
    (U.S. Surgeon General's Report, 1988, p. 202)
    2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.
    (U.S. Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. 193, 194, 196, 285, 323)
    1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.
    (U.S. Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. 285-287, 304)
    1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
    (U.S. Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)
    5 years after quitting: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker 5 to 15 years after quitting.
    10 years after quitting: The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a person who continues smoking. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decrease, too.
    (U.S. Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. vi, 131, 148, 152, 155, 164, 166)
    15 years after quitting: The risk of coronary heart disease is the same as a non-smoker's.
    Immediate rewards of quitting

Kicking the tobacco habit offers some benefits that you'll notice right away and some that will develop over time. These rewards can improve your day-to-day life a great deal:
    • your breath smells better
    • stained teeth get whiter
    • bad smelling clothes and hair go away
    • your yellow fingers and fingernails disappear
    • food tastes better
    • your sense of smell returns to normal
    • everyday activities no longer leave you out of breath (such as climbing stairs or light housework)
    Setting an example

If you have children, you probably want to set a good example for them. When asked, nearly all smokers say they don't want their children to smoke. But children whose parents smoke are more likely to start smoking themselves. You can become a good role model for them by quitting now.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  3. sav86

sav86 New IL'ite

Dear LajjaNarain,
    I believe your daughter here may help you with it. Just as a passing, you could tell him, "Will you like it if your daughter pushes you away when you kiss her after u smoked?" I believe this is one of the most effective ways to make men quit smoking. I would also recommend you to make sure that everything is done in steps. Most of the smokers can never quit smoking all of a sudden. Its part of their habit. So try to bring it down gradually over a period of time and finally make him quit. That would be my suggestion. Hope you succeed.. Good luck :):thumbsup

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My husband smokes too and so I know exactly what you are feeling. Apart from the health issues, smoking leaves a disgusting smell on cloths. You can try this trick (I tried and this didn't work for me), hopefully it will work for you.

My friend suggested that take his shirt after he smokes and leave it in a suitcase without washing. After a few hours, in front of him, open the suitcase. Its going to smell like cigarette. When i did that my husband commented, "OMG, that's a disgusting smell" but didn't quit.

There was this once I didn't kiss him back saying that he smells of cigarette. He offered that he would wash-up after he smokes but didn't give up smoking.

Good luck to you lady. Hopefully something works for your benefit.

5. NISHA BALAJI

NISHA BALAJI Senior IL'ite

Hello,

My Husband and i are married for almost 2 years now and know each other from 3 years..

He has been smoking since his college days ...almost for 10 years

Before we got engaged he said that he smokes and is trying to quit...I trusted him and we got married but the smoking did not stop...

I just used to gently remind him because if i demand then he might get annoyed...

Then one day he said i promised that i will quit but did not quit and it was so nice of you that you did not impose any barrier on me...

This makes me feel that i should quit smoking....

NOW THIS WAS THE TIME...I IMMEDIETLY BOOKED AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOCTOR...

He was on medication to reduce the Narcotics cravings...for 6 months...

and now I am so glad and proud of my husband...

All i would suggest all of the ladies having same kind of probs would be: Never fight on this issue...Never show your frustation(although inside we will b frustated)
    Deal it with lots and lots of love...
    When he is in a good mood tell him about how medication works

All the best

Nisha

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hi,

A friend of mine, gave a cigar to her 4 year old son, and lit it in front of her husband. The child also held it in his hands, and casually told his father - he plans to smoke just like his daddy, grand pa(her FIL smokes as well). Although this sounds like extreme measures to give a cigar to a child, it worked. My friend's husband did not quit immediately, but reduced it to half of what he was smoking earlier. This was in 2007.Sometime in mid 2008, a friend of his suffered a heartattack ( the friend was only 32, and had a relatively stress free lifestyle).He was operated, and this incident shook the life out of my friend's DH.

As your kid is very small, I am not sure of what you can do.But yes, do share with him - quite strongly the facts ASG has posted. It may help in creating a awareness.

Arch

7. shaluiyer

shaluiyer New IL'ite

Sorry Archana, I will never accept what your friend did by giving the cigar to her 4 yr old son. Well anyway as long as it helped the man it is fine. But God knows what is going on in the kid's mind.

My DH smokes too and like NISHA BALAJI said... my DH did tell me that he will quit after the wedding. It has been 4 yrs and he smokes close to a pack a day. I have pleaded him, fought with him , begged him ....but to vein . Nothing worked. Every time he plans to quit... It will last only for a month or 2 but after that ...as usual... he starts his routine again. He has never shown interest in his life and when ever I say that my self and my kid will suffer due to this habit, he doesnt bother much. he simply says " please dont start agin" .

Ladies if any of you think that I should try some thing else to work this issue...........Please help

Shaluiyer

8. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Shalu,

I agree. It is indeed a extreme measure, which is not advisable. But she has complete confidence, decided to talk it to her LO,and then went ahead. Sometimes, as my mom says - rudence works, in her case - it half worked! I was no way suggesting that idea to you, just shared it here!

Arch

9. Southgate

Southgate New IL'ite

In my opinion, one cannot quit smoking all of a sudden;It should be done gradually;counselling of experts will be helpful in this regard.Always self-medication is dangerous: that includes quitting smoking all of a sudden; pl consult experts.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

This is a habit which is really difficult to quit. The person who is addicted to smoking may not even know he is addicted.they may claim they can quit anytime etc. do not buy all this .be stern but patient.
    ASG has given a good link. Try going through it. It has a lot of info. Show this to your DH too. Tell him,its harmful to him,you,kids and everyone around.Tell him you want to live longer with him.
    Do not nag too much.This does not help.give him time. have immense patience. ask your dH to slowly cut down. like make it come down to 1 per day. After that, ask him to quit completely. If it still does not work ,then see a doctor like nisha did. It should help.
    i Really don't think there is any perfect way to make someone give up smoking. We just need to try and find out what works best for a person.
    If his parents/close relatives/frens know about his habit,then may be you can request them to talk to him too

hope this helps.
    good luck

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009