1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I am always right

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rrg, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

"I am always right"

"I am always right".
    The advt of a paint company, constantly being aired in TV of late, is a subject of delight for my wife.
    She may even skip watching any of her favourite serials, but not this advt.
    In this advt, a senior citizen couple's interaction is shown, reminiscing certain incidents from their past. The advt ends with the wife asserting that she was always right, with certain air of superiority and the husband looking like a 'nincompoop'. My wife's delight is not in watching the advt 'perse' - but seeing my reaction to the lady's punch-line.
    I try my best to replicate the looks of the husband in the advt, controlling an urge to utter the B*** S**T word.

To add fuel to fire, Times of India published a news item few weeks back (20th May '09) about a ruling by Supreme Court judge advising people:
    'Hum sab bhuktbhogi hai (We all have undergone that experience). If your wife wants you to see this side, see this side. If she wants you to see the other side, do obey her. 'One who obeys his wife rules the world.'
    "Veetukku veedu vasalpadi". Idhai poi judgement-a solli......

In my household this was the unwritten rule for ages - so mush so when my son, Krish's 1st standard teacher asked him (20 years back) asto who was the head of the family, he promptly replied that it was the mother. Even when the teacher corrected him saying that the father was the head of the family, he stood firm that in our household it was the mother who was the head and only her dictum ruled. He had gone to the extent of suggesting the teacher to check with his elder sister, Jay, (3rd standard in the same school), if need be, about the ground realities at home. Finding that the other kids were getting confused, the teacher closed the issue suggesting Krish checking with his parents on reaching home. Sure enough Krish asked me in the evening as to what the correct status was. I told him to go by what his teacher had taught him. When he looked confused, I gave him the first lesson towards growing up as a man - 'Never reveal household secrets to outsiders'.

What a 1st standard child realised and uttered ages back, was not accepted even by his teacher then. But now, when a SC Judge says the same thing, it becomes news paper headline. Enna ulagamadaa idhu? I find the SC Judge not only revealed his household secret to Public but also was making it a part of his ruling. Perhaps, the schools may now teach that the 'father is the head of the family - with the mother's permission" or some such.

Be that as it may, the other day, my wife wanted to buy a bath-room weighing scale. She was keen on getting an electronic one as it gave digital reading, that too to the gram. The one available in the shop was China made, which I was not keen to get as I had noticed from my experience, that there was no consistency in the quality of Chinese made products. There was no seller's guarantee extended on the product either. But finally, seeing her insistence, I gave in and bought it. But, as ill luck could have it, the machine conked off in a couple of weeks, to my wife's annoyance.
    I looked at her and smiled.
    She became furious and retorted, "Naan idhai vaanga sonnalum, unga suya-budhdhi enga pochchu?"

She is always right. :)

rrg

1 person likes this.

2. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Hehhehehehe

This is very hilarious.

I donot agree to obeying anyone.

But both having equal rights is extremely important.

And sometimes its the lady who is innocent or not aware about worldy things if shes's less smart she has to obey her husbands.

If hubby's are less smart then they have to obey their wife.Which is going around in this world.

But i feel wife always tells something thats useful for themselves and their family.

So there is no harm in obeying their wife.

But there should be not dictatorship.

I guess the boy was right by saying as kids's heart are very pure.
    They dont know to lie.

3. srividhyar

srividhyar New IL'ite

Hi all,

When I discussed with my husband on this mail thread, he has stated " If the underlying mutual affection and respect among the couple is intact, there is no harm in any one of them taking control of the situation, depending on who possess the skill to tackle it. He has suggested me to read the tamil novel " Oodaathey" written by sujatha, where a newly married wife exhibits courage and presence of mind in tackling unexpected twists and turns on boarding the train for their honey moon trip.That character was a good portrayal of a confident woman".

Regards

Srividhya R

4. abibaby

abibaby Silver IL'ite

Hi Sir,

I like the way you have narrated your views on the topic.Marriage is always a give and take relationship. I think that there is no need of husband trying to control wife or vice versa. Decisions should be mutual.

thanks,
    kirthiga

5. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rrg,

I really enjoyed ur post.

When a woman is homecentric she automatically becomes the Big Boss at home... and that makes the man relieved that most of his responsibilities are off his back and are in very safe and dependable hands...

So others and sometimes -even we ourselves start thinking I AM ALWAYS RIGHT-

when that attitude creeps into one of us trouble starts...

At home -democracy wins...

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Rrg:
    Thanks for the laugh! You have related a universal family dynamic so well! Your post reminded me of advice of the television psychologist here in the USA Dr. Phil: he has explained to obtuse men repeated about keeping the home life happy that "if mama is not happy, NO ONE is happy" in the home!

7. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Very well put Rrg, it certainly made me chuckle as I read along.

I am sure you must have realized that it is silly to make others accept you are right, when you are sure you are. And those who are bent upon proving to others that they are right, need to understand themselves first more as to why they need it is important for them, others to feel that they are right.

In fact, I reached a stage where it makes me feel happy to give my wife free hands on things that I don't consider worthy of argument - even if I don't completely agree. But at the same time I can be so firm and unwavering on certain core things - that my wife knows better where to draw a line and how far she can stretch. In fact being elder of the two, I consider her more as one who needs pampering from me and I know that she enjoys that kind of attention from me towards her. In fact, I ensure that I share an equation with her that makes gives me a sober, gentle yet firm when needed, kind of outlook.

8. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Preeti, Srividhya, Kirthiga, Shakambari, Tashidelek & Visu,
    Thanks a lot for your comments.
    Pleased to note that all of you found my random thoughts on the topic worth reading and enjoyed it. :)
    Despite all my leg pullings, both here as well as in my short stories, I consider my wife my greatest friend - friend of over 32 years and going strong. We have our own work divisions in the household but by and large I enjoy allowing her the lead role. On her part, being a top management professional in her organisation, her decisions are as good as mine on day to day issues (excepting perhaps in buying weighing scales :)). On major issues, always our decisions were joint ones.
    Be that as it may, coming back to our topic under discussion, even in olden days in our household, whenever there was any disagreement between our parents, we brothers used to tell our dad, "Appa, Let us understand the ground rule first. Amma thappavey sonnalum, she is always right. Neega sariagavey sonnalum, you are not right unless amma says so. Now you can put across your points". Dad used to laugh aloud & mom would be all smiles. There was peace all over. :)
    So much for heridity, perhaps. :biglaugh
    Cheers!
    Rrg

9. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Preeti, Srividhya, Kirthiga, Shakambari, Tashidelek & Visu,
    Thanks a lot for your comments.
    Pleased to note that all of you found my random thoughts on the topic worth reading and enjoyed it. :)
    Despite all my leg pullings, both here as well as in my short stories, I consider my wife my greatest friend - friend of over 32 years and going strong. We have our own work divisions in the house hold but by and large I enjoy allowing her the lead role. On her part, being a top management professional in her organisation, her decisions are as good as mine on day to day issues ( excepting perhaps in buying weighing scales :)). On major issues, always our decision are joint ones.
    Be that as it may, coming back to our topic under discussion, even in olden days in our household, whenever there was any disagreement between our parents, we brothers used to tell our dad, "Appa. Let us understand the ground rule first. Amma thappavey sonnalum, she is always right. Neega sariagavey sonnalum, you are not right unless amma says so. Now you can put across your points". Dad used to laugh aloud & mom would be all smiles. There was peace all over. :)
    So much for heridity, perhaps. :biglaugh
    Cheers!
    Rrg

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

"Aduthavan kashtam ooruku ellam sandhosham"....really enjoyed your writeup...Me and my brother used to tease our mother whenever we see that advertisement... ofcourse vettuku veedu vaasal padi :thumbsup

By the way you avatar is awesome...I am too a fan of that legend...Keep going...Have a nice day.