1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do i get my DH to help me?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by tiyamommy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. tiyamommy

tiyamommy New IL'ite

hi ILites,

how do u get ur DH to help u in household chores?. This isnt a grave issue, but i face it often where we end up arguing. It's more when we have guests.

Back in India, we have always had domestic help from when i was working, but in US , it's different, plus i have a toddler who is quite a clingy to me allowing me less time to do my chores. My DH who always promised that he wud surely help in managing the household chores, did it for initial a week or so , but now just doesn't budge. I dont mind him not helping me on normal days as i can maintain flexible time table. But on days when we have to host a dinner to guests , where i have to cook a full course meal , right from starters, it gets on nerves..I believe the house needs to be clean and provide a refreshign ambience to the guest, he just takes all this so very casual and i am dead invloved into it. Inspite of me making him requests some 10-20 times, he'll never say "NO".. He'll keep saying "yes".. but never try to relieve me a bit.. He'll even insist that i shud'nt worry abt it. And i keep reminding him , how good we feel when we go to other's place for dinner n thier house is clean n decorated n i make it a point to compliment the host. Everytime we invite somebody home for dinner, it becomes very stressful for me, with him just busy in his own world..
    Do u people also feel this stress or am i taking it too serious as my Dh says ?

We both r very social , he needs more people around him while i can manage being alone. Though he likes to hang out with people , he doesnt want to contribute when its our turn to host. A friend of mine suggested i buy food from outside for the guests in that case, But i am not sure whether that's a good idea.. Please suggest. Also it wud be nice if u cud throw lite on how cud i get my DH to believe it is a serious affair to host and he needs to get involved. Even back in India , i have seen him not doing much in family functions while other relatives men are actively doing thier bits. He is active otherwise in his own world of computers, electronic gazets, new softwares, movies.. U name it , he'll go looking for one particular piece n he'll roam around 100 shops to get that particular piece, he wont compromise on nething else.. n in his job , he is just too perfect to comment( i have been his colleague for 5 years).. But his interest in the house is quite less.. When i have to buy a wall hanging or a flower vase, he feels what a waste of money , but he wont feel it a waste when he buys 4 diff sets of headphones of diff companies, or 3 cameras or so many no of hard disks.. Are most of the men like this ?

Sometime i do feel , i shud just let it go n do best i can in my limits, but like all other woman i too like when people compliment on how we have kept our house or cooked..
    i hope u will be able to decipher my not so major an issue :), but it is.. Ladies , pls suggest some solutions..

cheers
    tiyamommy

2. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

For the dinner hosting part, please go through ChitVish recipes and probably do some make ahead recipes that you can just pull out of the fridge and into the microwave and decorate so it looks fresh and good...

That will reduce your stress on the hosting day and you will not be making angry eyes at your hubby...

about getting him to help in household chores, I hope the other ILs will give you good advice - my DH even though doesnt have the time on usual days, helps me out without asking when his folks visit or when there are guests... I do not have any strategies for that, sorry...

3. Ajith

Ajith Silver IL'ite

Can you tell him what exactly to do instead of asking him to just help? Be specific on what you want him to do. This is what my wife does. Once we decide on the menu, she takes the veggies out from the fridge and tells me whether to peel or cut or peel and cut etc., and the containers for them. Same goes for onions. I take all of them to the dining table along with two cutting boards and my job is done in 30 mins. She then takes over and once she is done with cooking, I load the dishwasher before the guests arrive. After the guests leave I load the second batch into the dishwasher.

My wife still mumbles that I am not doing enough. Try this routine in your house too. Ask him to just peel and cut onions and load the dishes once. Next time add some more tasks. See how it goes. Don't expect him to change in one day. It may take few months. So keep inviting guests every week:biggrin2:. Good luck.

4. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

hmm.. well.. I'm a bit hesitant to answer because DH does help, when he feels like it. He cleans the bathroom, does the dishes, the laundry.. but he should really feel like it and that's not as often as I would like, but its defintely more than what I;ve seen in other men.

My dad does everything, and my FIL does some stuff, and DH falls somewhere in between.

Hosting parties, I usually do all the cooking, and if the house is not clean, he'll tidy up and clean, if he's home before the guests come. I usually don't nitpick because he has crazy hours including weekends, so I know he's on edge about it, don't want him to go nuts when he's home with the constant nagging (though he tells me I do)!

5. NewWoman

NewWoman Senior IL'ite

I cant speak from my experience as my dh is an excellent cook and a 'clean freak'. So he does help out a lot. Like Ajith said, you could give your dh specific tasks to do. He would be more likely to respond when he knows what exactly he is supposed to do. Also things like vaccuming, cleaning washrooms could be done the previous day. In order to reduce your workload, you could get some of the food from outside and cook some dishes yourself. Readymade rotis, frozen foods, ready dessert etc, where you need to do very little prep work. You could also get your dh to fire up the grill or barbeque and make some food while entertaining your guests. Try to stick to a simple menu, don't overwork yourself and get stressed. Relax and try to enjoy your party.

6. tiyamommy

tiyamommy New IL'ite

Ajith,

i wud be really happy if my husband does atleast what u do .. :)...It's like one who does not have anything , will be happy with atleast little.. Like ur wife is aiming at something higher which is natural :):)

All,

Like to narrate a specific incident , we invited people for sunday dinner , early morning i just set the house right, i had some veggies to be shopped , gave him the list n asked him to go rt away at 11.00 a.m as we had some sudden visitors(friends) at 1.00 , not for lunch but just to meet.. My husband kept doing some stuff on the comp, by then we had these visitors who stayed up till 3.00 as there was cricket match going on .. I cudnt do nething as long as they were at my home.. Once they left , my DH went shopping , instead fo commign home right away , he found some mechanic guy to repair the dent on his car , n stood thier doing it which he informed me only when he reached home , though i had been calling in between to enquire..
    He reached at 6.00..Then i cooked major stuff and got ready by 7.30 p.m. But all that was very stressful... Only if he had heard me and got me the stuff at 11.00 when i had asked him , i wudnt go thru so much pressure..

I cud'nt dream of him chopping n helping me in my cooking, i wud be happy with him cleaning the washrooms, dishwashin or tidying the house n shopping for me.. I do give him specific instructions , but he is so involved in his own stuff that he keeps pushing the tasks i tell him to later time , which most of times do not happen at all..

And when i inform him abt husbands helping thier wives., he'll say , ok go n earn like me , i'll sit n do the household.. I mean dont housewives deserve help?... Are we supposed to just keep watchign the kids 24/7 ( even a little discrepancy there wont be tolerated , i have to hear so much for that), cooking n cleaning without entertainment..

funny thing is , he works from home many a times, it's not like he has less time to do the things, but it's just that household activities come on a least priority in his list. He always makes sure to have something more imp on his list than the chores..

Thank u all for the responses.. May be i have to look out at options where i can handle this alone in much better ways..

cheers
    tiyamommy

7. mlk2009

mlk2009 Bronze IL'ite

Hey Tiyamommy,
    My hubby is exactly like yours. Your DH tells that he will do and postpones, mine blankly tells he cant do and buries his head in the laptop.

So instead of fighting a tough battle and getting frustrated i usually cook for 2 days in parts. Like I make gravies and curries the previous day and rice, appetizers on the d-day and dessert always from outside. I sometimes get naan or a tray of chowmein or a tray of channa masala from a private caterer for subsidized price since she is a friend. So it will be 25 % outside and 75 % homemade.

Cleaning up for the party is a big pain, I will start from the morning and keep reminding every hour. And he will put the vacuum and take the trash. I will usually clean the washroom when i take bath and finally get ready.

For all parties, its strictly aluminium trays, disposable plates, cups, forks etc. So not much ofdish washing. Just picking up stuff and throwing in trash bins...

8. duwa

duwa New IL'ite

I do the same as mlk2009,prepreparation.I always keep the menu simple ,and easy .Also make a to-do list,and give it to ur hubby.Things he needs to do,nagging does not work.Ex.Like take trash,vacuum,put new comfortor set in bedroom (if you are particular)cut vegetables...etc.
    They need to have in writing ,numbered in which order you want it done.
    Hopefully,you will be less stressful nexttime.

9. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Tiya ,

I do agree with mlk that you could cook in parts .. it is easier.. Also, dont go for veg shopping in the last minute.. Like THE day. Do it 2 days in advace.. This way he can go undent his car, look for latest gizmos and come back with the veggies and stuff you asked for. I also wanted to back Ajith's reply.. I just have to tell my husband to cut veggies for what type of dish and clean up the house.. He would do it. But the problem is my hubby will come up every other minute to show me wether the shape and size of the veggies he has been cutting is ' right ' !!! :bonk I do lose my cool at times.. but when i dont utter anything.. he knows for sure.. he needs to disappear for the moment !! ;)

About you spending on home improvement, sometimes it wouldnt make sense to our spouse if ' the interests are different ' ! Not that all men detest home improvement.. Sometimes they feel it could be useless.. During such times, if you can let go without taking it to heart then do it.. Else.. BUY IT. Dont ask for opnions.. After all you arent buying something which is total waste.. It is just that, sometimes they could feel " Life will move on if this vase isnt bought " ! But without the gizmo.. it really looks impossible and my wife ' doesnt understand ' types !! :) So, leave it to what he wants to do.. never go paranoid on what he wants to buy..

You do your bit to your housekeeping as you wish and ask him to stay away from giving opinions.. You will ask when you want to. :)

About the guests visiting you on the day of party incident.. I would have still sent my husband to the grocery if I were you.. I would have entertained the guests..I wouldve asked him to come back quickly so that the guests dont miss him for long ;) Now, the guests would think he is wasting time if he was late isnt ? So, he will make sure he comes home in less than half an hour.

So just handle it less stressed.. GO his way and make him realise he does get on your nerves sometimes !! :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  10. blissful

blissful Bronze IL'ite

[justify]Hi Tiyamommy,

I would suggest that on normal days (i.e. days when you don't have guest over) you should ask your husband to do some non-critical tasks. E.g. after dinner he could help clearing the table. You needn't tell him specifically to clear the table. What you could do is carry a couple of dishes to the kitchen and then request him to get the others. You could also give him vegetable cutting jobs on weekends. Give it to him well in advance. Some small tasks like this every day may mentally prepared to help you when you have guest over. Also as you won't have the pressure of guests you won't get worked up if he does not help. Don't expect him to do this the first time and don't give up till he does.

You mentioned that your DH helped you with you chores initially. Why did he stop? By any chance were you interfering when he was doing the chores?

I normally plan my menu a few days before the party. If it's a lunch party then I do the cutting the previous night. If it's a dinner party I normally avoid making any elaborate lunch that day or I make extra the previous night. That way I am not stressed throughout the day. Initially when I was not so comfortable with managing time and cooking for many people, I used to make a detailed list of the order in which I am going to make things. This would save time and give me an idea of how much work is yet to be done. Like others said, I do my shopping at least a couple of days ahead. My DH hates roaming the supermarket. So I have almost memorised the sequence of aisles and when I give him a list it is in the sequence he is likely to find things. But make sure your DH does the shopping for you. You can't let him off the hook just because he messed it up once. :wink: You could also do a major part of dusting and cleaning the previous day.

The most important thing is that you should enjoy the party and people who have come to you place. If some day, some thing is not done – like cleaning up, then don't fret about it. Just enjoy your time.

Answering your last question. Most men I have come across do not consider 2 different kinds of cameras / headphones etc a waste of money. My brother has 3 pairs of wireless headphones and when I asked him why he needs 3, his reply was that pair no. 1 was good for sports, but not good for movies; pair no. 2 was excellent for movies and pair no. 3 was for when he wanted to listen to music! I told him they all sound almost the same to me and he said it's because I don't have a "discerning ear".
    [/justify]