1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Touching husbands feet

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mahika, Oct 1, 2008.

1. sonasanju

sonasanju Silver IL'ite

Hey ..
    Even my MIL and SIL did tell me to touch my husband's feet daily morning...I felt little awkward...its ok he is elder to me ..but ours is a love marriage....and we have always been friends...but then I have seen my MIL and SIL touch the feet of their husbands before they leave for office...Its good to get blessings..but then overall it should also be a matter of ones comfort...So sometimes...I do touch his feet before we leave for office....or during any festival time...He never asks me to do so..But if I do , he feels happy...:)
    We are staying here away from family..so no tension of what MIL and SIL wil say..!!

Cheers
    Sona

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. ayush123

ayush123 Junior IL'ite

hii mahika,
    i nice to read such a reality of life even i face this problm bt never dare to share with it n i think its normal bt do ur husband too feel tht u mst do tht ?in my case my busband dnt feel tht its compulson do as u wish so whnever i m infrnt of all family memebers n all my othr co-sister in laws do i too touch my husbands feet jst for respesct seek in frnt of others

AditiShining likes this.
  3. sameena30

sameena30 New IL'ite

Hi
    I am sameena 30 a married woman from Pakistan.In our culture and religion(Islam)there is no such tradition but i watch Indian t.v channells and movies and there it is shown that women touch their husband's feet with respect.It is not compulsory in Islam to do so but I personally love it.It looks so romantic and beautifull.For almost a year I touch my DH's feet to show respect and obedience to Him and He likes it as well.Indian culture is very colourfull.

In Islam,like in Hinduism, It is obligatory to show respect to the DH and obeying him.Husband is considered Majazi Khuda(menifest god) of His wife.Like in Hinduism the pati is permaishwar.someone might say that respect is in the heart but i think there are always symbols of showing respect as we women want our DHs to show their love by giving flowers etc.I think it is a good idea to follow such symbols like DH sitting on the head of the household chair on the dining table,taking his shoes off ,etc.it looks so beautifull.

I am new here and hope to have good time with all you intellegent ladies.

4. ROHANDHARESH

ROHANDHARESH Senior IL'ite

I think this is a very old thread that I came across. I want to answer this. I believe that all Indian traditions and customs were made for a reason and at a particular point in time. You need to realise that when this particular custom was made, India was a spiritual country unlike the opposite that we are today. Husband was the head of the family and the Karta (in a spiritual way). I cannot explain to you exactly what and how this came about but it certainly had a lot of meaning and relevance in those times when it was made. But not anymore. It does not make any sense now.

5. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

I do. :wink:.. when he is tired while I am energetic, I touch his feet.. to give them a good massage. :rotflAlright alright.. I get the question and though it is an old thread, I think it is an open topic however. I would say it is upto the couples.

6. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

LOL I'm with True on this one. I touch his feet... to give message lol, but not for other reasons like taking blessing. My reason has already been said by another lady on here.... since spouse's are supposed to be equal, why should I touch his feet to take his blessing? If he had blessing powers, then he would give blessings to me even without me touching his feet.... it is not like he would keep his stash of blessings hidden in the cookie jar, so why would he wait for me to touch his feet? If he could bless me, he would, so no need for me to do rituals for it. In terms of giving respect, I strive to respect him at all times through my words and actions. I think he would rather me genuinely give respect to him, than just go through the motions of touching feet.

I think touching his feet in a serious manner would make us both feel odd. Even though he is 13 years elder to me, we dont think of each other as elder/younger. One time he was very angry and acting like too much macho man, so I just smiled and touched his feet and said 'yes husbandji'. I think it made him realize he was being too arrogant and it immediately broke the ice and we started laughing. At first he was like 'What are you doing yaar, so stupid..." Then.... ":rotfl".

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  7. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

In South, the woman touches the husbands feet before getting the wedding Saree during the marriage ceremony. If the pundits are broad minded they would not ask the lady to do that.

8. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Touching someone's feet is seeking his/her blessings. But whoever it is, any elderly person or husband, the urge and the respectful feeling should come from within. I would certainly NOT go for it if someone would insist on such things.

In Bengal, touching H's feet comes as one ritual during marriage. Even older days I have heard wives doing that regularly through out their lives. I never got into such a situation, as I did not want to.

9. 1967mamata

1967mamata New IL'ite

Ours is a love marriage. no one ever asked me to touch my husbands feet. but i like to do it on occasions when only both of us are there. i also touch his feet before any big challange like exam, going for along trip etc.

i never thought why? But i feel because he is very important in my life next to my parents. without him life is nothing. why not tell him so in a unique way . i find 'thank you' very inadequete for expressing this.
    my husband feels very shy on such occasion but, it comes from core of my heart. as someone has said he is my friend, philosopher and guide. LIKE GOD!

10. incarnation

incarnation Silver IL'ite

Touching Husbands feet .. yeah I did that when I was forced..Not only that it was some strange Bengal Custom particular to this MIL stuff.I had to even wash and wipe his feet with my hairs..Quiet demeaning..
    Well i never like touching his feet for blessings....As ASG said why are blessings conditional..?
    Well I am his equal...These are just customs which remain hollow if they are done for sake of doing with no sense..

I would love to touch my parents feet but they never allowed me ...as utter respect for the mentality they have.

And my MIL always on every occassion extends her feet out of her saree for touching feet that too if I just bend down and have touched shown the gesture or just touched one feet by chance she will start murmuring nonsense...that her one leg will get spoiled or get diseased due to this."it looks like she is seeking my blessing"

Well I dont think blessings depend on this...Last visit onwards my MIL got angry and when I was leaving I bent to touch her feet and she didnt allow as I was not doing it "properly"..I have stopped touching her feet..As I got fake blessings and only problems created by her in my married life.

Looks like touching feet doesnt work for getting blessings rather people who want their feet to be touched want a show of their "STATUS" instead.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011