1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Episode in my Married Life

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by DrKadambari, Jun 20, 2010.

1. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

I am married for about 2 yrs now after wedding moved abroad to join my DH and be at home wife due to visa restrictions. Married life was an exile in the new place where DH was new to this city we were in and DH hardly having friend there. No internet for first 3 months and no ISD enabled phone. Only in wk ends calls to India when DH was around from his mobile. (DH earns wholesome money but ends up paying all his loans that he has taken b4 wedding which I never knew about)

about 6 months later DH went to a nearby beautiful coldest country on a project and 1 month I stayed alone here in winter later he took me too and we had to be in a hotel without kitchen. Before taking me, he said you have to adjust with lunch. I usually cook all the 3 meals a day in typical indian style and outside food I was quite not adjusted to it though I eat NV (or I would rather say DH woudnt spend on restaurants).
    I said fine and went. The 4 start hotel would serve complimentary breakfast and it wd close by 7.30am. If i woke up a little late, i wd have no bfast.
    Now the adjusting lunch time : Lunch was Nothing. If we needed lunch we had to order and that being one of the Highest standard of Living country everything was too costly. Moreover menu was mostly seafood with starfish, crab, octopus and what not... We coudnt order away from menu. So 1 month no lunch except for wk ends. DH used to have in the office canteen. I never knew DHs terminology till then that adjust meant nothing.
    Dinner time honey : if i miss bfast then my next meal would be dinner where inbetween I could pick coffee. There was only one kiosk nearby and absolutely no other shop, in the cold winter snowey road. to walk 1km it would take 1 hour as the roads were steep and extremly slippery and the sun would set by 3 or 4pm. Kiosk had Pizza and bewerages. Daily pizza, until I went there I have had pizza only 2 or 3 my entire life.

All day in the hotel i used to sit and browse. There was gym but i wdnt go as i wd feel extremely hungry after workout. We cudnt get any frozen food as the fridge in the room was small such that 5 small coke bottels could be kept and it was always filled.

Weekly once we would go to city center and have late lunch in Indian restaurant... that means no Dinner.

I think I never longed for food my entire life even when family situation was economically bad during childhood. As a family we had come up into a very good level.. got married to face what not....

By the end of this 1 month, I was so damn homesick (for which i got scoldings from DH) and planned to go to india on 2 months vacation, where my DH joined me later. I had become like a stick without proper food. He joines me in India and for pity issues he said he is gonna Divorce me...Note we didnt hvv any major fight( he used it as a weapon to scare my parents)

I put up with my DH did and never uttered any disappointment to my parents atlast got threatened of Divorce :) DH is kind of half boild, Neither Indian nor Foreigner in thoughts... thouh he lives broad for nearly a decade nw...(oh ya we are still married)
    Kya life hey yar !:bonk
    Why this post... I wanna vent out.... I cant tell this to any one else... Thanks for lisiting..

Regards, Kadu

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010

2. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Welcome to IL DrK,

Looks like you are new to IL and this is your first post.

And han dear aisa hi hota hai...after marriage life changes completely.

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Hello dear Welcome to IL. Yes it does help a lot to vent out and share the pain, sometimes it also helps to answer our own questions or thoughts!

So where are you guys now? India or abroad?how is your husband doing?

One thing I would say amongst all this is...did you ever think of it this way...what if he had left you at his parents place or at your parents and left for that snowy country and you both living apart and you being scared not knowing whether he is safe n fine or not. Might be he would have thought as you both are newly weds he might have wanted you to be around . Am sure many girls would want that rathr than being with their parents/inlaws. Isnt it like supporting your husband during the tough times??

Now coming to certain things like breakfast before 7:30AM I wuld say yes, I have seen many of them coming on Business/L1 visas when they are staying in a hotel they do this...it helps in saving money and also not to get out in that brutal cold. I guess you were too upset with the kind of living situation you were in!!! as every girl expects minimum basic comforts after marriage (even if not luxuries) and yes food definitely is not a luxury. However you would have checked with your husband whether he was tight with money? or why you guys were having only a full meal only once in a day? Did you try to come up with other kinds of food like bread/ milk /sandwich made with some raw veggies etc?? none of these need to be cooked andd you just need microwave to warm up the milk (I guess you would find that in hotel lobby also right??)

Anyways, am hoping you would just let go of all this past and move on..I know its hurtful when your husband threatened you about divorce(was there any argument b/w you both on that living situation in that cold place???), might be he might have felt bad of the things he had to hear about how pitiful you both lived there!! Its like a blow to his ego where he was not able to feed his wife...So both of you are hurt and upset and bruised egos...for this time just let it go and also let him know that you understand why he had let you come n stay with him and thank him for that and also mention that next time on you guys have to make better plans for such trips.

4. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kadu , learn to adjust in an alien country ! Life cannot always be as we wish . Mostly girls fail to understand that life changes after marriage and one has to make the best of it.
    Would you have liked staying alone while DH went alone to the project ! No ,isnt it .
    You married him knowing that he was in US where life would be different. If you very particular about food and local comforts then you should not have married him.
    I am saying this not to hurt you but DH must have thought that you were ready to adjust and agreed for the marriage.He must be feeling bad . US tempts many girls to rush into marriage without thinking !
    You are lucky that he is nice , you knew that he is living in US so there is no point in being stubborn and wrecking your marriage. Anyway 6 months must be over by now and he must have gone back home.
    Make adjustments , study and pass your licencing exams , you will have no time to miss your parents place. What if he was posted in India in some other state then ??

5. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Thank you for reading and for those of you replying too. This entire thing is in Western Europe and our stay was in a Scandinavian Country (non english speaking)
    Its starange but True...

We are still in Western Europe. I am trying to make a little modifications in his policies to lead life practically than in fantasy .

He has lived here for about a decade now but when I came, he never gave me any chance to get adjusted to this change. I wasnt offered that initial time to adjust at all...

His office was the next building to the hotel and he had all facility there. It was only me who had tough time. Inface he used to have a evening snack and come so didnt really bother about dinner.

Yes I Knew, after marriage i got to know that he had fallen into a huge debt for our marriage as his dad distributed gifts to about 100 relatives of theirs and that amount was such huge that it took about 1.5years to pay loan (that too with the high salary that he earns)which came out as a surprise/shock for me. Absolutely they had no savings for the marriage.

Once a week when we went to city center I used to ask for some snacks that we could have later but his policiies wd say...that wd not be good. And we didnt have microwave anywhere. Max thing he bought once was a sause that could be microwaved and eaten... however as there was no microwave, i had to put it in the warm water in the bathroom sink and then have. Not even once I cribbed about this arrangement with him.
    Atleast fruits would have done... but he found everything costly there.

FL, as said this is all not in US. So I had a big language issue, though I was learning the language. And my DH did not give me even a day's time to adjust to the new place. One ex : I came in peak winter and he said not to buy a new jacket for winter, as the indian designs does not suit to this place and to get anything that I already had. I came and in the airport itself i was wondering why they had put AC (lol that was the winter cold huh) in the next days was wk end and he said we go out to near by park... I had to wear the same jacket and go, it was freezing cold, and i couldnt take it and he shouted at me that I was acting too weird.
    I know to drive, but we didnt have a car then, now we own one but he does not have funds to spend for my european license but he has one.

He has a big time prestige issue. He thinks what ever I do is kind of below standards (thats the worst part). b4 marriage i was a professional working with American companies with good standard of living in India.

6. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

wow...unbelievable...sorry to hear what you had to go through....u have loads of patience...if i don't get proper food for one day, i might kill somebody!!
    so how is everything for you now? hope ur situation improves.

7. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

hi!!
    i wont tell you what happened is normal, bcause i live in scandanavia & the first yr i wasnt working too.. not due to visa issues, but we werent planning in staying for a long time.. the attitude shown regarding food is something i cannot digest.. esp since he was having all the comforts.. yes, you have to adjust too regarding eating whats available rather than starve or complain about whats not available.. thats the way 1 manages to live outside ones comfort zone.. so i guess thats something for you to do or shud have done.. but whatever is the cost of living etc, i know Norway & Finland are few of the most exp places on earth, but nothing can be explained for making you starve when he gets to eat to his full.. thats pure insanity.. he has a responsibility to you as a husband & he should keep his part !!
    Why did he get married? did you care to ask?? was it for the dowry? or jsut to have a person in his house???
    i dont agree it was thoughtful of him to take you with him when he went to the new place instead of leaving you alone.. i do think that would have been a better option,.. maybe he realised if you stayed back, you would have to be given some money to live on??
    i do hope you are able get some headway with this situation & get some sense in him.... take care!!
    Btw have you been able to learn the local language?? wouldnt English also help where you are ??

8. sillygurl

sillygurl Senior IL'ite

Hi kadambari,

Really sad to hear abt what you are going through.:(
    What your husband doing is WRONG. He cannot expect his wife to starve.It's his responsibility to provide you with food. If he's so desperate to save money, why did he get married in the first place. It's better if this kinda of people remain unmarried .

If you are still staying in hotels.I have a Small suggestion:

Have you considered buying a small electric cooker? The cheapest one[]Amazon.com: Maxi-Matic Elite Gourmet Rice Cooker with Glass Lid: Kitchen & Dining comes around 15 bucks . It's a one time buy and you can cook rice in hotel rooms using this. It's much better than starving. In case your DH is not agreeing to spent 15 bucks, buy it yourself.Cooking rice wouldn't smell.

If you like pasta , noodles etc....it can be also cooked the same way. Make sure to open the window when you mix the rice with puliyodarai paste, pasta sauce, noodles-masala , because it'll fill the room with smell.

In the mini fridge you have , keep a bottle of yogurt , pickle etc. You can get different paste like puliyodarai etc which can be mixed with rice.

9. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Reading all your replies I feel - hope I knew about this portal then...

Lotus Girl : Yes this was in one of the countries you mentioned. And in the country where we actually live now requires dependent spouse to learn the lang to get visa extended. Now its abt 2 yrs here and I can communicate well.

SGirl : That was so thoughtful of you. This is something that happend in the past and it was eating my head quite a lot so I penned it down. I understand that such basic things can be kept in the room but my DH is kind of prestige issue or I dont know what to name it... he woudnt let all these..... Like say we are in a long journey and I take some appels and open to eat in the train he says NO not in the train.. :) :bonk

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

And, when he says that, dont answer him, but just give him the bird a.k.a flip the finger (Perhaps, you might een feel like giving him a slap and I wont blame you for feeling that, LOL, but we dont advocate physical hitting in IL, so you are requested to control that urge :rotfl). Really try that - give him the finger. Stun him once at least, pls. And after that continue to eat your apple.

He is the epitome of someone who can be inconsiderate.

1 person likes this.