1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

husband forcing me to quit my job - help!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sandu, Jan 21, 2010.

1. priya g

priya g Senior IL'ite

Dear Sandu,
    First of all- my great hugs to you for being a star performer as a profesional, mom and a home maker. Read your posts and these are my thoughts-
    • DO NOT QUIT! whatever happens, continue the job- you are doing great and this has boosted your self-esteem! Excellent!
    • Maintain a seperate account the way you are managing!
    • Don't worry so much about your child, she will cry hoarse the first week but you have to let her grow out of it!
    • When your MIL or hubby says that you are not being a good mother- just tell them with twinkling eyes and extreme confidence- my daughter and me have secret agreement and I am govin 10 on 10 as being a great mother. So, dont worry I have all the math right!
    • Good that you have got a thick skin...always helps to be practical! Good that you are cool...actually you have grown strong after being run over so many times. I am proud of you and one can learn so much from you! Hats off!
    • When you cook for your MIL and family and when she or hubby dont lift a finger, imagine you are running a family with three little children! What would you have done? Just imagine...and you will not get fatigued by their wierd behavior! You must have developed a thick skin for them too.
    • Continue to be cool and calm...your MIL and hubby wants you to react...but show that you are smarter! Control your emotions!
    You are one smart lady and an excellent mom, I am sure! :thumbsup
    Take care and I am very very happy and proud of you.

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Sandhya,

I have been with you throughout.. I know what a winner you have been ! :thumbsup

I just second many ILites here..

Your hubby is simply feeling too insecured. He first had a problem that you were sitting and being a dependant on him. When you started to work, he suddenly realised what an independant woman you can be. So, bottom line no matter what, he is going to have some issue. It is in his mind that he simply cannot accept things the way it is. I dont see it changing in anyway even if you quit work. I dare not suggest that to you, atleast not when you have started to do extremely well at work, quitting it, would simply pull you down to " square one " again.

About your MIL's visit, I feel you were wrong here. You should have been more diplomatic and kept quite when your hubby hesitated to call her over, Sandhya. I know your intentions were all good.. but being in a strained relationship already with her, getting her in between a confused relationship like your marriage was not a right move for now.

Anyhow, let MIL dear say what she wants to. By her saying you arent a good mom, it doesnt mean so ! Period. She is no one to judge you, Sandhya. You know what you are. Your daughter wouldnt be clinging to you, if you werent a good mommy. She knows and you do, care a damn for the rest of the world.

Your MIL is basically from an older generation which has seen the man working and the woman at home. So, when she sees her son doing stuff at home and attending to your daughter, she is just being weird ! She is so, boosting the already huge ego and insecurity in your husband. Meaning, adding fuel to fire. So, simply look at her as a big trouble maker and care less about her words or existence. That is the best you can do, now.

Festivals happen every year and many times a year, Sandhya. It a'int important than yourself and Maried Life. Let us say, your hubby would have had some meting at work, would you make a big deal that he was late ? NO. Why ? Because you respect him and his work..See, that is what lacks here. His ego is simply hurt and so, he is blowing it out of propotion. His ego will never die even if you quit work. I know you wouldnt quit.. Festivals is for peace and fun. Never let your hubby to raise his voice unnecessarily. TELL him to hush up ! TELL him not to raise his voice. You dont have to shout like him.. simply be firm.

About the pre-marriage account which he refuses to be a part of.. Just say OK and leave it. Dont force him to join you there. He will simply throw tantrums no matter what. Say once , twice and say alright upto you.

Hope you get through this , Sandhya. I know you will !

Take care..

3. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

Dear ladies,
    Thanks again for all your replies and beautiful words of encouragement. That is what I need now! :)

Srividya, thanks for all your ideas.
    Hmmm. I understand what you mean by this. You are asking me to give him the same space that I have snatched from him for myself. It is indeed true if we look at it from his point. The thing is, I have been keeping my account open to him and updating him of its status; but now, he wants to get rid of me from his account. Well, if that will satisfy him, I will do that.
    But, what if he lashes it out on me like the daycare incident? What if he says later that I should not have signed it although he gave me the forms? He is ready to throw all blame on me...

Priya, thanks for all your ideas and encouraging words. What I am now in terms of a courageous and smart person, I owe entirely to ILites. Not even to my parents, all credit goes to IL, to the wonderful advisers here and the patient listeners.
    Hmmm... if only I can treat my husband and mil like I treat my child when she makes trouble! Would be tempted to give them a piece of my mind! :crazy

Dear Preethi, thanks for replying and for your comforting words. I get your point(s).

True, I agree to that. Their way of life was different from ours. But, the irony is that, now, it is my fil who does everything in their house - mopping the floor, cutting vegetables, grinding idli batter, from washing clothes to putting them in the closet, even drawing kolams! All my mil does is cook the vegetables and rice and serve them food. Now, since my mil came here, my fil is getting up at 5 am to make breakfast and pack lunch for my bil (who is still doing his studies). When her husband can help her so much, why shouldn't mine get up at 7:30 or 8 am, why shouldn't he throw the garbage or bathe DD?

After all, these rules are different for her+her daughter and for me. :bonk:bonk

They are not satisfied and keep cribbing whether I do things one way or the other. Both mother and son are like that!

As some of you have suggested, I will tell DH clearly email DH one last time that I am waiting for my deposits to mature and will consolidate everything into a single account in my name once they mature, nominating him. Whether he accepts or not, I am not bothered. If he protests, I will nominate DD.

After reading all your replies, I am becoming more determined to carry on with my job and never give up. I hope God will show me the way and make DD adjust to her playschool by March.
    Sandhya

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Sandu,

I am a mother of two young daughters. Believe me, your husband just doing mind games and wanted to emotionally balk mail you. Since you are at office, kids say "amma office".It doesn't mean anything to them. I dropped my younger kid even when she is 6 months with baby sitter and from then I didn't feel doing anything wrong. They were happy and in the evening I do spend good amount of time with them and in the weekend. Lot of my friends who are housewives also does send kids to play school from 2 years, because they wanted kids to play with other kids.
    For every kid it takes 1-2 months adjust to play school. After that even you wanted to keep them at home, still they wanted to go to play school.
    Remember one thing, its all mind game and don't fall for it.

Some people are goot at playing mind games I belive.

5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Sandu,

I think you need to find some words to use on your husband to stop talking about this.Tell that,I beleive you are adult and adult can solve there problems themself and you don't need sombody's help to solve your problem and I hope you are not kids anymore.I think you need to find some words to boost his ego and will not think about talking to your parents anymore.

6. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

My mil's visit has taken a new twist. She put up a big scene with both of us present that she wants to go back to India this weekend. My husband was not willing to convince her by himself to stay back. He wants me to be there too and listen to her woes. So, I asked her why, and she replied that she is greatly distressed and her mind is affected. I did not speak a word and continued my work. She went on, "You are both not living like a married couple. I am very unhappy to see that." Dh said, "why do you think we have problems?". My mil said, "I know. I can find that from your behavior. Are you both behaving the same way (to me and to each other) like you behaved when I was here last time around? Problems happen in very marriage. I thought that the problems you faced about 1 year back are all over. Still, there is something wrong here. My health is being spoilt. I cannot take it anymore. I get panic attacks and I am already unhealthy. What will happen if my health deteriorates quickly in 2 days? I cannot even travel back then. Even while I am talking now, I am feeling unwell." She started shivering and sat down. Her voice trembled. :shaking:"I want to leave now. I cannot keep witnessing whatever is happening here. My husband is sweating it out in Chennai, getting up at 5am and cooking; he is an old man. I dont have to undergo all this :)?: :?:)...". She paused. I told her, carefully choosing words, "Do not trouble yourself by worrying about the problems between us. We will resolve them ourselves. You have come here to be with your son. Relax and enjoy the remaining months and be happy with your granddaughter." She went on, "You cannot say that I need not bother about your problems. It is not my nature not to take notice of how well my children lead their lives. I am not like other parents who dont care about their child after marrying them off. I thought I will come here and be happy; but I can only see my son being unhappy. I have seen married couples. Even my daughter lives in a foreign country. And she also has many problems. But, do they behave like you two? If my son were of the confiding type, he would have told me all his problems. (Then, how come she knew about the daycare incident if he didn't confide in her?? Or was it all her suggestion?) My son told me that you are ready to send your child to daycare. Is that right? Dont you remember that it was you who spoke against sending children to daycare 2 years back when we discussed what your own friend was doing? (That was a nasty episode; 2 years back, I was telling my mil in all my innocence about a friend who joined back work in 3 months after baby was born. That time, she dragged me to a fight and shouted at me that "Whether you should go to work or not, it is your husband and parents-in-law who decide. As a good dil, you must simply obey our command. Wont I look after your child? Do you doubt me?")"

"Why do you want to go to work now? Are you not happy with the money my son earns? If money is all that you want, we will happily hand over all our property to you and make you lead a peaceful life." Dh interrupted, saying, "There is no problem as you think between us... the only problem we face now is that I am asking her to stop working from April and be a full-time mom till DD turns 4 and starts regular school." My mil replied, "Your wife says something like she does not want elders to guide you both and that you two will resolve all your problems yourselves. I cannot leave it like that." She continued to me, I myself have been mistreated by my mil (which is true). Don't I treat you well? You tell me. If you were a mil in my situation, what would you do? bla-bla-bla I cannot stand these things anymore. I want to go back to India."

Much to my surprise, instead of cajoling his mother to stay back, he kept pushing her to fly back! :idontgetit: he kept on asking her, "Decide once and for all and tell me now if you are leaving on Saturday. I need to speak to appa, change your flight tickets, etc. etc. If you keep thinking and thinking, prices will increase"!!! I was simply surprised, but only recollected the fact that DH has always been trying to send her back whenever she said she is feeling unwell... Why does he do this?? I am afraid he will coax her to go back and later blame me for it!

I didn't speak anything. Just went about cooking. My mil stated that we will decide later in the evening.

This confirmed the fact that DH spoke to his mom (or she told him to try that trick on me, I dont know) about daycare. Why did he speak such things to her?? I am pissed off with him.

It is true that I am not behaving in the same meek way as last time. I do not pamper her. But, I try to take very good care of her needs. What else does she expect? Sleep in our bedroom again?? I ignore her and do not consult her for everything, which is what pissed her off, I believe.

Also, I am beginning to doubt if he said anything about our financial disagreements to her... why did she say she will give us all their property? Who wants it anyway? Is that to simply show that she is sacrificing everything to tame one witch of a dil?

All this drama, when in fact, she has seen very little of our fights. DH shouted at me once in front of her on the festival day. And obviously yday, he told her something about the daycare. That is all she knows of our "fights".

Overall, she tried dragging me to a fight, saying leading things, but I kept ignoring everything. She had assumed that I will pick up her hints and start arguing with her, and proving that I am right, just as I used to get worked up earlier. I was simply disinterested and showed little attention to her and that disappointed her to the core. She would have been much more disappointed by the fact that DH didn't accuse me after that, but spoke gently to me and left to work.

It is in fact, I, who am at the receiving end of all their hurtful words. If my mil can get so upset by hurting me, how much upset will I become on getting hurt??

Once DH left, her character changed completely. She became very chirpy. Unlike yesterday, she played very well with DD, spoke and sang to her, chopped veggies and even said something to me on her own. She offered to feed DD and even started singing film songs, which she rarely does. If she is indeed so unwell and is shivering and trembling, how can she became alright so quickly?? That beats me! :confused2:

To me, it just looks like she was waiting to pull off this drama of being hurt and disappointed to see the way we live. Probably she thought we will fall at her feet, seek her pardon and ask her to guide us in future. And also that I will give up my job and start pampering her once again full-time. We did nothing of the sort.

Later, DH called from work to know if he must rebook her tickets. She quickly told him not to do anything of that sort and not to breathe a word about all this to his father. :roll:

I am not sure how to handle it if they say something to my fil about this and he questions me. He is short-tempered and will definitely ask me what is wrong. How do I politely tell him to leave us sort out our problems ourselves?

What should I tell DH now? I am having a slight suspicion that he deliberately let these matters be known to his mom, who would eventually tell his father, in the hope that they will butt in and do what he cannot do - make me quit my job and do just the family duties - cook, clean and take care. I am also at a loss how to handle it if fil asks me questions like, "Why did you ask my son for taking over your investments? Dont you trust me?"
    Thanks again!
    Sandhya

7. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

Priya, Thanks for your reply. Yes, he is good at playing mind-games. I started realising that only some time back!

I hope this will work, Priya. I will try these statements next time. He uses it more to scare me like a kid, "I will complain to your parents". He himself hesitates to do anything like that, as we ran through a LOT of problems after he complained to my dad a year back by a hate-mail.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Sandhya

8. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Sandu,

Lot of mind games going on in your house. I think what you did is good, don’t argue nor talk back with them just move on,
    If your husband brings the topic again booking tickets, it’s between both of you and do whatever she wishes to do. If her health gets bad then I won't be responsible for it.
    Remember in any circumstances don't agree to quit the job. They are emotionally blackmailing you. I used to feel that my MIL is big drama
    Maker. But your MIL is 100%times more than my MIL.

I think you need to carefully choose words and keep responsibility on both of them either to stay or leave. You don't involve in it nor to agree any of your husband demand, believe me your daughter will do just fine in daycare in fact they do love play center too.

Somehow you feel strongly sending kids to play center when they are 3 years because you would feel they would learn something there. 3 years age won't be as 2 years age. This age you don't expect to learn anything but from 3 years you expect kids to learn and start doing some activities. So it just matters for some time in between and you don't get job whenever you wanted.

They are playing too much on you. If your FIL asks don't you trust me, ask him if you invest something don't you invest on your wife and the same way I expect my husband to invest on my name too or on both the names.

Remember onething,once the mother in home typically they will tell everything to mother.So don't expect your husband was not telling anything to her and at the same time don't angry on him and don't bring everything to beginning.Let things go move on but you stay on your job.If you get angry then he will get angry on something else and things will take bad turn.

9. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sandhya

I am sorry to say this, but seems like if you say it you would be blamed and even if you dont say it you would be blamed...seems like this is a catch22 situation you are in now...Its really very tough to handle such people and situations as even if we keep our mouth shut still they blame us for whatever has happened..

However I still feeel keeping quiet and letting them do their own mind games or blame game is the best thing. Becuase no one ever got into any trouble by keeping quiet. No matter how much ever your husband pokes you to speak out/ lash at him or his mom dont open your mouth. Just do your work, and keep quiet to all his /his moms tantrums.

I never understood why men play such nonsense games with their own wives with whom they have to spend their rest of the life with. when will they ever growup and stop giving tough times to their wives. Just keep your cool and calm dear.

10. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

This is what I did when DH told me to be a stay at home mom. I told him that kids from 2 should be exposed to enriching environment like schools instead of being at home and stuck to the tv. They need to develop activities like art, building blocks, creating moulds with clay and so on which we cant provide at home all the time due to lack of space, cleaning hassles etc. Also doing the same play doh or building blocks is more fun at schools with other kids around than at home, all alone.

You DD crying to go to school is a very very tiny problem which happens in all households. Put her in the morning class and then slowly make it full by April. My son cried for so many weeks and atlast it dawned on him that how much ever he cries I cant stay with him in school and accepted the fact and moved on. Clingy kids wont be clingy forever. Only if you enable them, they will be clingy forever.

What you are doing is good for you as a person and for your kid. Both of you are enriching your lives by going to a job/going to school.

Sorry I cant think of anything for your MIL/FIL's problem. She sounds like a bigtime Saroja Devi ...