1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

do we lose our freedom after marriage ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sobhas, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

I think the day I got my first salary I celebrate it as my independence day... This was few yrs prior to my marriage.

Also my DH gave me a lot of independence & support as long as ILs are not interfering for those decisions for me... I knew that atleast that independence is coming from him when I first talked to him & it was a priority for me in my life.

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I have a lot of freedom married to my dh. No complaints. Definitely I think a lot of women end up with a husband who curtails their independence, but I made sure my dh was not like that before I married him.

The only time I feel a lack of freedom was when his parents were staying with us. I felt like I didn't even have the freedom to be happy or enjoy my days as a newlywed. Felt like a prisoner! But I've learned from it and now they are not welcome in our house. I guess when my freedom gets threatened I take a tough stand.

3. Sunny3

Sunny3 New IL'ite

I am the same before or after marriage. My dh's mentality is more like my dad's so in fact I never felt like starting my life with a totally different person with opposite or different views than my dad.

As kids we had freedom 100% when it came to studies,careers, jobs.
    Also parents were willing to get us married to the person we loved........now that is applicable in my siblings case. As for me, I never fell in love with anyone so had an arranged marriage and fell in love after marriage.:rotfl

After marriage I had all the freedom in the world........no complaints at all!!!
    Dh is a gem of a person who is so considerate and understanding to me.
    I am the same person even if my family or his family is with us.

So, for me I cannot say much about losing freedom.

Sunitha

4. StaarBearer

StaarBearer Senior IL'ite

Before marriage, my Wifey hardly used to stay at home and was always in company of her friends and visiting places. With the responsibilities, post marriage, she hardly has anytime for herself.
    And I believe this makes her sometimes believe she has lost her freedom.

I have never been demanding, except for some of her time and Love.

5. Sunny3

Sunny3 New IL'ite

StaarBearer,

People need to understand that freedom comes with lot of responsibility too. And fulfilling once responsibility should never be taken as losing freedom. We cannot be like that carefree 10yr old kid anymore. We have our own 10yr old now and if I have to switch off the TV because my kid has to do her homework I should not consider it as losing freedom to watch TV even in my own home.....JMO!!

:thumbsup
    Sunitha.